Random Dialogue: On the EQ Guild Summit
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dialogue
Mountain King
Mountain King

Random Dialogue: On the EQ Guild Summit

Like it or not, there is a reason SOE is top dog. The guild summit is really remarkable. Some ><a href="http://www.mmorpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=996">thoughts</a> on this event
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:59 am
Spudgun

EQ Summit

As a long-term former EQ player I have to say that Sony's communication with the player base has been appalling at best. Only friendships with players kept me going.

The only thing that gets Sony moving is the threat of competition. I am sure that they are absolutely terrorfied of World of Warcraft, hence the summit.

It literally takes years for Sony to fix even basic problems.

One of the massive innovations as a result of the summit is the publishing of a 'to-do' list. Yes, it has really taken them so long to adopt this most basic of concepts.

Visit any class forum, such as www.shadowknight.org to see how happy the players are.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:06 am

You can't really blame SOE for some stuff. The fact of the matter is that players of MMOs go nuts when it comes to class whining. Yes, there are lots of legitimate gripes out there but alot of it is a crapload of hot air. If I were them, I wouldnt listen to 99% of the stuff either.

Frankly, I have no idea how people can still play EQ or how people can expect it to get to a 10 year mark. SOE can hold all the little compfire chats they want but those wont fix core issues with their title that go beyond guild and class bitching. Alot of the viability of the world is gone. East Commons auction is gone and replaced by bazaar auto-selling that accelerates an already horribly mudflated economy. The world is far too large with an abundance of trivialized zones. The player based huddled at the highest levels of play. Other core immersionary aspects (such as sea travel) is trivialized because of the ridiculous largeness of the world. The playerbase (when I left) was filled with an increasing amount of immature children who cant play worth a damn and run around shouting obscenities.

You know, I would love a server with redone models/enviroments that uses only EQ classic + Kunark + LDoN with a guarantee of no added zones. No frogs; No cats; No Beastlords; No PoK; No Nexus; No Bazaar; No Berserkers - with ALL items having adequate level restrictions to encourage use of underused zones/crafting/etc; the return of boats; level 50/55 or so level restriction; consider revising character development system to allow for AA like advancement from day one without having to turn the XP off; consider drastic class rethinking such as removing balance problem classes like the warrior or ranger). Now THAT might get some of those people (like myself) to come back that left in the Luclin Exodus (and have not really come back to the game - though I did a one month stint to try out LDoN which was nice). Im not saying they need to do that EXACTLY but they should consider doing something similarly DRASTIC to really give the game a shot in the arm and recapture the greatness of its first days (to get new players instead of just trying to slow the loss of old ones) rather than all this hoity coity guild pandering. Though, Im guessing thats what EQ2 will be for.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:04 am