Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Looking for games that...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread

After reading a few threads on this board, I figured it would be a nice place to post a question of mine. I enjoy playing crpgs and other computer games, but I have a short attention span nowadays, especially with so many games out/coming out. I'm looking for games that aren't necessarily massive undertakings. For example, I recently purchased might and magic 6. I played for many hours, and enjoyed it all, but find myself already bored, i guess... not driven enough to do whatever quests i can find, and kind of bored by the combat. The main thing that turns me off, though, is that i've read the game can take 100 hours to complete just doing the basics, and 400 doing every map. I'm kind of a completist, so this scares me. What I'm looking for are perhaps shorter games, or games that keep attention easily. Also, being cheap would be nice too . I do think that, even if I quit m&m6 right now (might just take a break), the seven dollars i paid for it was very well spent. But I just dont have the time to invest heavily in a game like this while there are so many other games to play. Any suggestions, please?

Thanks,
joe
Post Tue Sep 04, 2001 10:03 pm

HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

u search for good rpgs with a playing time less than 100 hours:

Icewind Dale
Return to Krondor

for other cool rpgs look in the "topic top 10 rpgs of all time" but most of them have a playing time greater than 100 hours.

Hx
Post Tue Sep 04, 2001 10:18 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Nox comes to my mind. It is quite straightforward.

Post Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:14 am
Mollusken
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Diablo 1

[ This Message was edited by: Mollusken on 2001-09-05 01:03 ]
Post Wed Sep 05, 2001 6:01 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Return to Krondor is no more (and no less ) than enjoyable fast-food. You can finish it within 25 hours, even less if you find out that perfection is unnecessary in this game.
I liked the game although it does not even get close to its stunning predecessor. Should be worth the 5$.

Nox (single player) is no RPG (but one of my all-time favourites). Imagine it as Diablo 1 with great graphics and a fast-paced storyline. It is only hack & slay -not even _collecting_ items. You rush through brilliantly designed Levels and never look back.
Nox has the best balancing I have ever seen. Armours, weapons, etc. can be found where (and when) you need them, fights are surprisingly strategic. The bosses are pretty tough, I sometimes had to reload more than a dozen times. But I allways knew it was my own fault, I e.g. overlooked the special armour in the room next door, used the speed potion a second too late, or simply chose the wrong strategy. Hard but fair .

Nox single player imho beats both Diablos easily if you are not into collecting items.
Time: 30 hours per char. 3 characters, same story from different point of view. Medium replayability.

Gorath
Post Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:25 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

If MM6 bores you, because of the many figths, I don't think "Nox" is your game, almost only hack'n slash, although it's much shorter.
Return to krondor: Very short, but good.
Summoner: Shorter than MM6, and more story, very nice and addictive game (still many figths you must win, but many can be avoided).
Vampire Masquerade: Medium long game, with very good story.
Might & Magic 7: Much shorter than MM6 and more interesting story.
Wizard & Warriors with the latest patch. Very similar to the Might & Magic games.
Ultima IX with patch 1.18F, and a monster PC
Post Wed Sep 05, 2001 9:34 am
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

From the sci-fi rpg genre :
System shock 1 (looking glass / E.A. )
Technicaly outdated but it has a really-really good storyline.
Took me 17 hours ( without reloads !) to complete with often heart-beating feeling
And I've loved the interface... ( it seems I'm the only one )
Post Thu Sep 06, 2001 6:19 am