RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

First Impressions please ...

Is Divinity a challenging game ?
many puzzles, hard fights, dialogues ?

or is it another Diablo clone - a "soft" rpg ?

please tell me - i want to buy it soon.

Last edited by HiddenX on Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:23 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Yes,
Yes, yes, yes
No

That about should cover it

All joking aside. It has a lot of fighting, it has a lot of questing also and it has a lot of humour. It has NPC's that react on your behaviour in the world. If you like to butcher everything then NPC's will refuse to talk to you, shop prices will go up until they even' don't want to sell you anything anymore. Unless you are on the black market of course.

It has a main line, you have to go through. You will always get those quests. But for the 300 others ion the game, it all depends on your actions. Although it's practically impossible to get them all.

You build your character the way you want it. It's skill based and your fighter can learn any mage skill if so desired. So there is no limit to what you can become.

You interact with the world. You can learn the alchemy skill and creat poison. With another skill you can apply this poison to your weapon, which will add a poisonous damage to your weapon. You can take a boulder and throw it on your enemy. You can block entrtances for your enemies, by moving barrels and crates in front of the doorway. You can hide from your enemies. If you are a survivor then you have the ability to sneak. Just turn off the nearby candles and sneak behind a barrel or something. They can not see you anymore and when they are gone you can come out again and take them out one by one.

Just some stuff fromt the top of my head
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:29 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Here come my truckload of questions:

1) how long it would take to finish the game if we try to explore and find as many quests as possible?

2)could we play different races, or only human available?

3)i knew that we also have female counterparts for warrior, mage and survivor, any different (in abilities, NPCs reactions & quests) if we play as female instead of male?

4)could we upgrade/customized our weapons?

5)how big it is the game world of Divinity compare to MW or NWN?

6)are we able to put in mp3 music in sound folder & play it during game?

7)Is there any NPCs that will follow/help main character to finishing certain quest?

8)is there any special fighting combination (such as feats in NWN)?

9)since many NPCs reaction would be affected by our actions, then it's more difficult to play as evil character, right?

10)i knew there's puzzles in the game; how difficult it will be? (i'll go nut if i get stuck for hours can't figure its out)
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:51 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Ditto!
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:36 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

1) how long it would take to finish the game if we try to explore and find as many quests as possible?
Tough one. As you are not able to do all quests, due to the way you play and that some quests can only be found by real thorough adventures. It's kinda hard to say. My personal perception would be a 100 hours or so.

2)could we play different races, or only human available?
Human only.

3)i knew that we also have female counterparts for warrior, mage and survivor, any different (in abilities, NPCs reactions & quests) if we play as female instead of male?
No. The only difference between a male and a female are your two starting skills. For the rest male and female are equal in everything. It once was different, but in beta test it was thrown out again as nobody seemed to like it.

4)could we upgrade/customized our weapons?
Yes. Not with all wepaons and armour. But there are plenty that have a Charm Quality (CQ) ranging from 1 to 5. Which means you can apply 1 to 5 charms to them. You can buy charms, find charms and get them from quests. A charm can add something to a weapon, like doing lightning damage, or posionous damage. They are however not cheap.
Besides that you can also poison your weapon. You can do that with any weapon.
Do take note that your weapon degrades during combat. For that it's always wise to have the repair skill, so that you can repair your own weapon (upto a certain point and depending on the level of your skill).

5)how big it is the game world of Divinity compare to MW or NWN?
Dunno about Morrowind (didn't play it). Didn't finish NWN either (yet). But from what I've seen now of NWN, Divinity is larger.

6)are we able to put in mp3 music in sound folder & play it during game?The files used to be in .mp3 format, but they are in a different format now, so I don't hink that still works. I'm not sure though.

7)Is there any NPCs that will follow/help main character to finishing certain quest?Sometimes it will happen (but not often). And they do keep the XP for killing anything.

8)is there any special fighting combination (such as feats in NWN)?
No, not really. The fighter has his own special skill, with which he rotates quickly with his arm stretched (and holding a sword in his hand). He can do a lot of damage then when surrounded by a group of enemies. Also checks are made then every time the sword hits something. There are other skills that approve your abilities to fight. There is a spear skill, that not only improves your ability to fight with a spear, but also allows you to throw it (which you can'tt without the skill). There are skills that improve fighting woth a weapon for each weapon type.

9)since many NPCs reaction would be affected by our actions, then it's more difficult to play as evil character, right?Yes. You won't receive several of the quests as people refuse to talk to you. You will ofcourse always receive the quests required for the main quest. The compensation of not receiving the XP for solving quests can be found by killing everyone of course

10)i knew there's puzzles in the game; how difficult it will be? (i'll go nut if i get stuck for hours can't figure its out)There are many puzzles, some you will never find, most have a solution somewhere. Mostly in books and stuff. If you haven't found the book or the tools to solve the puzzle. Then it will be tough to solve them,
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:30 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

thank you for your detailed answer Myrthos - i will buy the game tomorrow.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:38 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

lucky germans again.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:19 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Xerox:

the german language and the netherland language are very similar, maybe you can try the german version.

It is sometimes hard, but if i really try i am able to understand websites in your language. For me it is like a mix of English and "Plattdeutsch" a german slang that my ancestors have spoken.

Plattdeutsch (westfälisch):
"Liäwe met Maote, liäwe klauk, we wennig briuket, dä hiett genaug"

Deutsch:
"Lebe mit Maß, lebe klug, wer wenig braucht, der hat genug"
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:47 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

... and in dutch:

Leve met Mate, leve verstandig, wie weinig bruiket, de hebt (*)(?) genoeg.

something like this

(*) some form of hebben = haben

with help from

http://dictionaries.travlang.com/GermanDutch/
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:18 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

"Something like this" about covers it...
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:19 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

I understand most german. I'm better in English and i don't like playing a game with a dictionary laying on my desk, for if a don't understand anything.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:32 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

i am always trying to play in the original language, because translations are often not well done.
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:28 pm
Lynn
Divine Imp
Divine Imp

Thx Myrthos for answering HiddenX' questions!

@HiddenX: the German translation of Divinity is well done, you won't be disappointed.

And here are some quotes from people who are currently playing Divinity:

* So, hab jetzt mal ein paar Spielstunden ( ca 20 ) hinter mir, also so finde ich das Game ja superklasse, fesselt mich mehr als Diablo 2.

* Ist mir klargeworden das DIVDIV ein gelungenes RPG mit guter Handlung ist. Dies bestätigen die Umfangreichen Questst mit Nebenmisson (Gespräche, Hinweise...) etc. Bei DIVDIV schalte ich um mich herum ab und tauche in eine Welt voll Phantasien, Myten und Monster ein. Hier geht es zu meiner vollen Freude nicht nur um Itemsjagd und Cowruns, wie es leider bei Diablo der Fall geworden ist. Man könnte auch sagen hier warten die Quests auf einem, die regelrecht gelöst werden wollen.

* Divinity ist von der Atmosphäre mal wieder in Richtung Old School RPG. Nicht falsch verstehen. Es hat keine Party, keinen Rundenkampf und *schielt zu buad* der geliebte Heldenimport kommt maximal bei Teil2, aber ... Divinity hat:

- eine liebevoll, detailreiche Grafik - bei einer Rollenspiel Grafik kommt es nicht auf die aktuellste 3D-Technik an, sondern auf die möglichst komplexe Interaktionsmöglichkeit mit der Umgebung, und das hat Divinity bezüglich der kniffligen Spannung beim Umherrennen, die sinnvollen Gegenstände und Entdecken der Welt.

- viel spielerische Freiheit und kaum Einengung durch die Entwickler. (Klassenausbau, quer-Feld-ein-Spielen, Lösung der Questen und Rätsel usw.)

- wirklich sinnvoll und gut ausbalancierte Kämpfe mit ordentlich Schwierigkeit und wohltuender Einbettung in die Welt. Aber trotzdem nichts für Kuschelweicheier.

Sorry for the English speaking people, but most comments are of course in German since the German version was released yesterday.

I hope these quotes give you an idea what kind of RPG Divinity is;
Have fun playing (if you will play it of course)!
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:14 pm