Usergroups
Great RPG but very bad 3DEngine
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I just realized that taking part in this conversation is a complete waste of time. For either side, people make up their minds and stick to it.

The only thing I know that is certain (and the same will go for those who are on my "side" in this discussion), is that Morrowind is extremely playable even when the framerates are low, the game is immersive, fun, highly entertaining and very eye pleasing. I will keep playing it, with my Showframerate option OFF..and not dwell on stupid crap comparing the how the game runs to this game or that game..

I am going to enjoy my game..for the rest of you..why not just stop playing the game, stop wasting time complaining about it and go play something else.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:26 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Re: Eh?

quote:
Originally posted by Somnus
Eh? Same engine as DAoC and Asheron's call/Everquest?
Alas, no. The MW engine is built around it's own engine, which is the TES editor... They developed the editor, then wrote the game with it.
Somnus

Umm, sorry, but there you are wrong. Bethesda licensed the netimmerse engine, which is in fact also the engine for DAOC, dont know about the other two games, though. It's a different version as in DAOC though: Morrowind uses Netimmerse 4 and DAOC uses NI 3 AFAIK. Also Bethesda did some tweaking of their own with the engine. Netimmerse is a rendering engine only, so all other aspects were indeed coded by MW, and the World was built with the TES editor, but the ESCS is just that, an (excellent) editor, its not the engine.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:37 pm
Evotine
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

DAoC and Morrowind use the same engine. Morrowind obviously uses the engine in a lot more intense manner than does DAoC. Everquest uses its own engine.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:42 pm
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The Nettlemerse engine is one of the best out there (with the implementation of Havoc, it could be THE best).

My disappointment stems from MW not really taking advantage of its cooler features. I really have no idea while they used this engine at all.

That said, MW doesn't need high FRs to be playable.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:49 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Decado

That said, MW doesn't need high FRs to be playable.

This is what I have been trying to get across to people since the game was released. Even when it's pulling 10fps in a town things are still running normal speeds and smoothly..its just that theres so much there being processed that the framerates are lower...
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:54 pm
Mamovaka

SHIFTER

And what I am trying to say is that at 10 fps NOTHING is smooth, that is the main problem here, we have the people that just dont think 10 fps is choppy (which is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me) and the people that think it is (the majority) this game needs to get more than 10 fps on top end machine's I'm sorry
Post Wed May 08, 2002 7:05 pm

This is the most advanced game engine out there right now. It won't be surpassed until UT2003 comes out.

There's no question this engine is the best. Compare the poly count to other games and they don't come close.

However, I still believe that it's not optimized to the greatest potential and that the game is way too dependant on the CPU for horsepower.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 7:06 pm

MamoVaka

Wrong guest

I honestly believe that HALO is the most advanced engine out. not just the polygons and texures but the physics which are TOP END. HALO is the best game I have everplayed, period. and when it hits pc with multiplayer I am going to be ecstatic.

UT 2003 looks nice, but honestly halo is still top notch, GREAT AI, GREAT PHYSICS, GREAT GRAPHICS, and most importantly, GREAT FRAMERATES
Post Wed May 08, 2002 7:10 pm

Bedwyr

Re: SHIFTER

quote:
Originally posted by Mamovaka
And what I am trying to say is that at 10 fps NOTHING is smooth, that is the main problem here, we have the people that just dont think 10 fps is choppy (which is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me) and the people that think it is (the majority) this game needs to get more than 10 fps on top end machine's I'm sorry

A suggestion from a yet-calm lurker.

End the name calling, I find it grating and unworthy of you. Find something more objective with which you can voice your complaints on this forum. Framerate preferences vary widely and do not indicate the intelligence or gaming 'aptitude' of a person. Neither would I suggest you equate a number of anecdotes to equal the majority of people. The leap is ill made as you have not a clue what the majority actually things. Back up your assertions on facts please, not adecdotes.

Here is a reiteration of suggestions for those who seem to be getting poor performance and have muscle-rigs:

- Disable safedisc. Links to this particular patch/procedure are around her somewhere. This version of safedisc seems to be accessing the CDRom more often than usual, slowing things down quite a bit.
- Defrag.
- Have all latest drivers installed.
- Lower in-game settings and experiment with what settings seem to be affecting your performance. I don't suggest this as a permanent measure, but maybe you can go further from there.

To all others. The folks who have shelled out masses of cash to have high-end systems have a legitimate complaint. They put in a lot and expect performance, so the frustration is real. Please don't quote framerate preferences in reverse to them either. If they've got a feeling for what a game should have (eg- 60fps is acceptable), don't knock them.

To the "power" gamers. Don't rub everyone elses faces in the dirt with your systems when you complain about preferences. It reminds me of a fellow who had a very powerful custom car and kept bitching about it. It was almost a form of backhanded bragging and I found him thoroughly dislikeable for it.

Bedwyr
Post Wed May 08, 2002 7:29 pm

Dragoniswolf

crappy yet doable

if you can't get morrowind to work on your high powered machine you are gonna love this.

sys specs:
hd: 10gig
vid: ati radeon ve
processor: amd k6-2 475
sound: sound blaster live value

as you can see my computer is the king of crap.......but it still runs morrowind at a decent (but slow) rate.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:21 pm

bah. quit yer bitchen.

I got an Athalon 600MHZ pc with 300 mb's of ram and a voodo5 card (slightly shittier then a geforce 2, and not even supported by morrowind)
and i can get the game running at an average of 20 fps unless im in cities
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:24 pm

Interzone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

heh

I have:

Duron 1ghz
384MB PC133
GeForce 2 GTS

And you know what? Morrowind runs great on my computer. I can jack it up to the highest resolution, turn viewing distance and real-time shadows up to max, and get about 10 frames/sec outside. Inside, it's almost perfect. If I turn shadows and viewing distance down and run at 1024x768, I get 15-20 fps outside and inside is flawless. You know what I did to make it run so great? I turned off anti-aliasing on my video card. At 4xAA, it ran choppy as hell, and I had to play at 800x600, and even that got pretty bad in the rain. I didn't bother with 2xAA, I just turned it off entirely, and the game runs great, no complaints at all.

I guess if you're looking for Quake3 style framerates, you'll be disappointed. But if you ask me, on a system like mine which is nowhere near "top of the line," 15-20 FPS outside is more than acceptable in a game of this magnitude. Why all these guys with super expensive machines get worse framerates than me, I don't know. Maybe they just went and bought all the latest stuff without really knowing how to tune it.

I'll never forget when my old K6-2 300 could outperform a brand new P3 500 that was configured by some clown who didn't know what he was doing. And if you know anything about old K6-2's you'll know that's quite a feat indeed. Same thing applies here... getting things to go faster takes some finesse, not just power-hardware.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 11:03 pm

Both DaOC and Morrowind are based off the NetImmerse engine. Granted they both have had tons of changes to it, if you compared the two they would be radically different because they both try and solve compeltly different problems.

Morrowind's engine is pretty incredible really for what it does. I am sure there is room for some improvement, but its by no stretch of the imagination "crap." Running at 1600x1024 on my 24" widescreen produces some visuals that surpase most adventure games with pre rendered backgrounds. FPS is 15-20 in the worst spots but thats completly acceptable to me (everything max). People are too caught up in the fps... in some cases it matters, but not with Morrowind. Gimme better visuals at the cost of framerate in my rpgs, gimme high fps in my shooters (i love both). Anyways this subject has been beaten to death heh. (I understand some people get sick at low framerates, that sucks heh)

- Gendal (probably should register =p)
Post Wed May 08, 2002 11:53 pm

Ché G.

Geez.. talk about sad.

Griping about poor framerates is a perfectly legitimate. Just like some people are overwhelmed by the number of choices, for some a drop in fps is very distracting even HIGHLY annoying. Luckily the 10-20 fps on my system doesn't bother me but it's easy to see how jarring it could be to someone that normally gets 60+ no matter what they're running.

One telling aspect of the engine is the jerky animations at high framerates. This tells me that the designers were shooting for somewhere in the range of 15 fps as there "base target" for performance, regarding the way all the art etc was implemented. someone please correct me if this is way off base.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:54 am

Slow framerates

I have an Athlon 1.4 (1800XP), 512, GForce 3 ti 500 and yes, it does drag down when in some cities but it's nothing I can't tolerate. I did remove LOTS of bullshit SafeDisc game-pauses by getting the NoCD hack. If you add a large city with the SafeDisc pauses it can get pretty frustrating. If you have not already, get the hacked executable and you WILL notice those pauses disappear.

Other than that, if you were expecting Quake3 Engine speeds your looking in the wrong department because this game does not and will not have it.

Regards,
Sindau
Post Fri May 10, 2002 7:21 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next