Burning/Tracks
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Burning/Tracks

I have never made a CD of music before, still using bloody tape decks. Is there a tuturiol you guys could direct me too that explains how to burn mp3s to cds? Something that fills me in on what cds are most compatable with stereo cd players and the limit amount tracks I can have on a cd(how many tracks a stereo cd player will recognize) Thanks very much.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:27 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

whatever software you choose to use should have various big red "make a cd" buttons and options of such nature. There's nothing to it, just follow the directions
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:08 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Yes, but what cds are most compatiable with stereo cd players? I'd like to bring my discs into work to play them on the radio but want to make sure it is compatable. Also not sure how many tracks a typical cd player can read. I'd like to get as many songs on one disc as possible. But theres no sense in putting 99 tracks on the disc if cd players can only read upto 24 or so. This is what I am not sure of. Hoping someone here could enlightin me.
Post Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:01 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Look, its real simple.

Just go buy some cd-rw's, theyre cheap. Then burn yourself some cds. Then play them wherever you want to.

Youre making this harder and more complex than it needs to be. There are no tracks, there are no time limits, there is only data space. Cds generally have 700 mb of space on them, thus, if you have 700 1 mb songs, you can fit 700 on one cd. If you have 2 350mb songs, then its 2 songs. read the label of the cd-rws, does it say ok for music? If so, buy them. What are we talkin' here, ten to fifteen bucks?

So in closing, it goes like this: Buy some CDs, install some software, hit the big red "Make a CD" button".
Move on with your life
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:49 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Ah, I need cds setup that will play on stereo cd players. This requires tracks. It will be played on a stereo system, no a computer where I can just click the mp3s.
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:48 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Its a piece of cake, MC.
Software should theoretically handle everything, there should be an option to make a music CD. Everything's been so dumbed down to big buttons with extra tooltips tomake sure it's clear, you shouldnt have a problem sir.
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:30 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

CD-Rs or CD-RWs should work just fine. You'll want to make sure you burn it as a Music/Audio CD. The software will automatically build the tracks and burn it for you. I've never had a problem with the number of tracks on the CD. I once burned a CD with over 100 tracks and it plays fine in all of my CD players.
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:16 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Thanks for the help so far guys but I got just one final question. Does it matter if I go with 700mb discs as opposed to 650mb? Will older cd players(not sure how old the radio is at my work) read 700mb discs or could I run into problems?
Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:20 am
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

Pretty sure you can fit around seventy minutes on a regular cd-r(w). If your player is mp3 compatible then you can fit as much space as the CD holds. You can also find more expensive CDs which will hold more data, if it tickles your fancy.

Edit: I don't think the space on the disk matters that much (beyond how much you want to put on it). Some are just higher quality.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:45 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Just to add my two...

The are usually two things printed on each CD - how much data and how many minutes. If you want to make a classical music CD, look at minutes. If you want to make a data CD with mp3 (wma...), look at XXX MB of data space.

If you want to use your CD's in normal CD players, music CD's are usually your choice, though most CD up-to-date CD players suport mp3 as well.

Old CD players have sometimes problems with RW's (rewritable discs), normal only-once-writable discs are better choice for them.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:27 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by MC_Renzy
Thanks for the help so far guys but I got just one final question. Does it matter if I go with 700mb discs as opposed to 650mb? Will older cd players(not sure how old the radio is at my work) read 700mb discs or could I run into problems?

You should borrow a few CD-Rs from a friend. If a certain brand works on your player you can buy a whole spindle. Nowadays you have a good chance that it works. Incompatibility is the exception.

Almost every newer CD writing software will automatically do the conversion from mp3 and a few other popular codecs for you. You only have to select that you want to create a new project as "CD-Audio" or whatever your software calls it, then drag and drop the mp3s in it and hit burn. You can fit 80 minutes on a CD. It only gets more complicated if you have to do the conversion by hand or if you don´t want a 2 second delay between tracks.

"mp3-CDs" are a simple data disk, not an "Audio-CD". Only CD-Players with an mp3 logo can read them because they know how to decode the data.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:07 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Thanks a bunch guys for the help. I should of learned this 8 years ago.
Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:19 pm