RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Not today, sorry.

Subscribers should receive the PC Games tomorrow, though. It would be nice if one of our readers could send us a summary.

No worries. Hopefully any info posted by the devs (which is the only stuff I'd be interested in hearing - I can make my own pie-in-the-sky predictions!) will be copied over to the English forums.

I'd be keen to see the the PC Games article too, as I'm sure m,any RPGdot readers would be!
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:19 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Here are a few pics. Not really newsworthy but better than nothing.
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:25 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I'll paraphrase a few dev comments from the forums for you (I'm a native speaker, still, no guarantees, ok?!)

- since 10 years have passed the old games can not be the (exclusive) thing to aspire or measure up to. But it is intended to match or surpass the timeless elements like gameplay, story.

- the world design of Aventurien will be compatible with the current publications and will try to match existing "lore" as close as possible

- Primarily developed for windows, other OS not out of the question, but currenly not decided

- Not all rules from the P&P game will be implemented, but the game rules will be based on DSA4

- elves are a playable race

- progress is about 15%

- english and other localized versions planned

- probably no import of characters from previous games
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:50 pm
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by GhanBuriGhan
I'll paraphrase a few dev comments from the forums for you (I'm a native speaker, still, no guarantees, ok?!)

- since 10 years have passed the old games can not be the (exclusive) thing to aspire or measure up to. But it is intended to match or surpass the timeless elements like gameplay, story.

- the world design of Aventurien will be compatible with the current publications and will try to match existing "lore" as close as possible

- Primarily developed for windows, other OS not out of the question, but currenly not decided

- Not all rules from the P&P game will be implemented, but the game rules will be based on DSA4

- elves are a playable race

- progress is about 15%

- english and other localized versions planned

- probably no import of characters from previous games

Much appreciated!

Hmmm, whilst I agree that not all the PnP rules need to implemented and that they don't need to ape the (old) original CRPGs completely, I sure hope this doesn't mean they're cutting *too much* out. We shall have to wait and see I guess.
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:00 pm
Ragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Some german forum bits

Hiya,

as you displayed interest in dev statements.
The game is in development for a few months already now, acc. to official announcements, yet there not much they wanna reveal so far, naturally.

Currently posting are:
- Metagames, siteadmin of the Anaconda forums
- Olgierd "Olli" Cypra, Community Manager dtp
- Dr. Stefan Blanck of license owner Chromatrix, involved in DSA on computer for almost 20 years now
- Jan from Radon Labs

Statements so far:

a. Started out as a mere joke, of course, but there are a lot of old ATTIC forum members active now, so...
There will be NO import of game characters or savegames from the old "Realms Of Arkania" series, naturally
[ Jan, Radon Labs ]

b. The "progress bar" of the project is at 15%, acc. to an estimate given by the devs. Yet, they gave for consideration that such is always hard to assess exactly given the complexity and dynamics of such an enterprise.
There´s a desing document and a finished story [and from the screenshot obviously a capable 3D engine], they have to fill with life now.
Some game aspects are already more advanced than others
[ Jan, Radon Labs ]

c. The familiarity of the devs with the "RoA" universe ranges from "die-hard fan of the first hour who knows every single rule of the system from memory alone" to "powergamer who´s finished every PCRPG two times over but for whom P&P is but a distant memory".
[ Jan, Radon Labs ]

d. The quality of the soundtrack is a top priority for the devs.
[ Metagames, Siteadmin / Jan, Radon Labs ]

e. Story: Done by original authors of the DSA P&P, part of the newest campaign, called "TNBT" (The Next Big Thing) internally, about which hints have been dropped already in their various other publications [ ed.: P&P adventures, rule- /background sets, their frequent magazine "Aventurischer Bote" that would have to be! ]. And apparently it involves creatures with a "higher operating temperature and "scale problems" [ ed.: in German `dandruff´ and `scale´ have the same word, "Schuppen" ].
The P&P authors of "TNBT" and Drakensang are coordinating their work.
[ Stefan, Chromatrix and some comments from forum members on it ]

f. Some answers to forum questions [ all replied to by Jan, Radon Labs ]:

f1.) Can the original "RoA" series even be surpassed? Will you use it as reference at all?

As there are 10 years between the old "RoA" and "Drakensang" some aspects are simply not state-of-the-art anymore. For the elements that are ageless, like gameplay, story and the overall experience we plan to be at least as good as "RoA", of course, in fact we´re determined to do much better.

f2.) How close will you stay to the original Aventuria? What artistical/technical freedoms will you take or limits will you have to bow down to?

We´re trying to built Aventuria as authentically as possible. It´s a fantastic continent, so it always looks differently in player´s heads from one to the other. We have a certain imagination about it as well and that will be implemented. As we take official publications as close reference, no one will experience bad surprises, though.

f3.) Will the game run under other OSes, too, like Linux, MacOS...? Will users of alternative systems be locked out again or are you planning to reach out to new customer basis through platform independent development?

We´re primarily developing for Windows. To what extent other OSes might be supported cannot be said at this time.

f4.) What about copy protection aka "Digital Restriction Management"? Will the customer be patronized by it or similar? Or will they finally trust me as a customer so i can trust them and invest in their product?

Copy protection is a matter that cannot be answered this generally.
There is illegaly copying so we have to protect ourselves. The exact application to be used for that will be decided by the publisher. But we´ll see for not causing inconveniences to the legal buyer, of course. They have to acknoledge the necessities, though.

f5.) Will it "call home", inspect RAM and HDD, try to assume root credentials?

No.

f6.) What about system requirements? (rough assessment; and: a GPU heavygfx doesn´t necessarily make for a good game!)

Cannot be determined at this point. We´re well aware that gfx is not everything. Rest assured we´re not after limiting our customer base through exaggerated requirements.

f7.) What about gameplay? H`nS or also alternative solutions for conflicts, enhanced game design, more interaction than just Swordplay 1,2,3?

On that occasion i want put it in general:
We´re making TDE [ ed.: "RoA" is now "The Dark Eye", like the official english language P&P publication! ]. That means there will be great combat but also lots, lots more.

f8.) Will we have to deal with the very complex rules of the DSA 4th Edition Set? How much will we be required to delve into? I assume FanPro is pressing in that direction, but i rather am a fan of roleplaying not ruleset science, have enough of that in RL. Also some elements make problems.

The rules of TDE are so extensive it wouldn´t make sense to implement them all. However, already the official canon makes a lot of them "optional", and not for nothing. That said, DSA4 (the ruleset) is our basis though from which we will make our own selection.
In any case it won´t get overcomplicated alone for the fact that a lot of them will be computed in the background.

f9.) Can one play Elves?

Yes.

f10.) Will there be a decent, printed manual at last, that introduces you to controls, backgrounds and game events properly? Maybe as funny written and illustrated as the "Fallout" manuals were?

Yes.

f11.) Will the game vanish just the same as "LMK 1&2" and "Armalion" shortly before they could have been released?

Certainly not.

I think that´s about it for now.

Cheers,
Ragon

P.S.: Whee Ghan and mog - why you´re so fast?
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:24 pm
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

Wow, Ragon, tahnks muchly for the comprehensive summary!
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:32 pm
roqua1

This is the best news I've heard in 10 years. This is hands down my favorite crpgs (darklands would be a lot closer behind if it had combat nearly as great as RoA, or even just TB).

I like the graphic quote, but I hope that doesn't apply to gameplay. I really hope they don't mind shrinking their market when it comes to making a good rpg and not going with the popular hack n' slash, action packed, streamlined, bull crap that has swallowed every market.
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:54 pm

Ragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hi mog,

erm, yeah, thanks. You´re welcome.
In fact everyone is - who can take my somewhat inferior english!

Enjoy,
Ragon, the Mage
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:54 pm
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Wow... RoA III: Shadows over Riva has been one of my all time favorites. I wonder how this new experience will be.
Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:12 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2