Usergroups
my team. any suggestions?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
ax_the_ex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ok i am new to Wiz 8 so help me out here.

dracon fighter (male): good with sword.
mook ranger (male): mythology.
farie mage (remale): fire and water spells.
hobbit bard (male): locks (until i get myles).
elf bishop (remale): artifacts (don't know who else should have it).
dwarf priest (male): divinity and divine magic.

please help me I wanna have a good party but I need someone's help.
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:09 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

First, what you have is pretty good. Second, since Wiz8 is such a great game, I think you'll enjoy about any party you create.

That said, here's my opinion on your choices.

1) Make your bard a female. There's an item in the first town that will make your bard better but it's only useable by females.

2) Your party is strong in magic with the mage, priest, and bishop. I'd say keep the mage and pick one of the other two. Replace the third with a melee-type. Since you already have a fighter, I'd recommend a samurai or monk.

Have fun!
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:36 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I agree. Take a samurai or monk to back up your fighter. You can also develop their magic skills as well.

Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:48 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

This is interesting party.

However as someone said before me, only one melee fighter is not enough for easy fights. But I do not say that it is impossible to play with it.

Choose RPCs (hireable NPCs) very carefuly. If you will hire NPC to your party, you will give it your exp. points and if you will find more useful later, you will lose points.

*** possible spoiler ***

I personaly suggest no RPC or robot - monk (strongest RPC) + Vi Domina (good for story).
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 7:31 pm
ax_the_ex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ok i now know what my 6 starting members will be. what should my other 2 members be?

1. im thinking ok Myles cause i need a lock picker

2. i really want an umpani on my team.. which sould i get the lord, fighter, or bard??

i really don't care what i get i just want a good solid team
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:15 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

As far as NPCs go, most people like to go with the robot monk RFS-81, because he will enter almost any area. All the other NPCs have a real problem with certain areas and refuse to enter them.
You can get Saxx (a bard) or Sergeant Glumph (a fighter I think). There is also Rodan Lewarx (a Lord), but you won't find him until late in the game.

If I used NPCs, then I'd go with Vi and RFS-81 personally.

Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:46 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Actually, you don't need a lockpick- your bard will do fine if you develop him/her that way. My formula: at every levelup, 3 points to music, 3 to lockpick, and the other 3 to some combat skills.

Don't feel obligated to pick up RPCs. The game is quite playable with the regular party. In fact, many folks are going with 4, 2, and even 1 character parties. Personally, I only picked up RPCs when the storyline required me to.
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 10:04 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Here you will find our POLL topic about most useful hireable NPC. And here you will find complete list of hireable NPCs with their race, occupation and level (completed list is at bottom of this topic.
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:08 pm
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The party that I'm finding very useful right now is:

Male Felpurr Samurai
Male Hobbit Rogue (I just used the pre-made character Fingers, he's cool)
Male Mook Ranger
Male Human Monk
Female Elf Bishop (concentrated on Divinity)
Female Faerie Mage

The Samurai seems to work very well. Especially with lightning cut. Also, the Monk just started hitting 2x just out of the blue! With Martial Arts skill he's getting like 5-6 attacks a turn now somehow..hehe. The Bishop is hard to level up but I'm finding her to be very powerful. Just give bishops every spellbook they can use to add points to the spell realm and get them to learn every spell they can.

Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:01 am
Motoki
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

As others stated any rpcs other than Vi or the RFS robot are absolutely useless due to their inability to go to so many areas. You might want to borrow them for short periods of time to do little quests or get extra dialog (like taking Sparkle to Trinton, Madras to Arnika) or swiping their items , but other than that, ditch 'em.

lockpick, imo, is a useless skill do to knock knock spells and wands, detect trap spell, and the chance to bash open locks. Save the points for something else.

Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:21 am
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I find that Knock Knock doesn't always lift all the pins you expect it to, so I usually use lock picking skill in conjunction with that. Besides, picking a lock by hand is fun!

Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:48 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

With 6 pins and lockpick skill around 10 it is not fun because it takes 2 - 3 hours to do it .
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:01 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

My "rule" was that you needed 10 points of lockpick for every pin. So, for a 3 pin lock, you needed 30 skill points to do the lock in a reasonable amount of attempts. OF course, I'm not super patient...
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:28 pm
Fwang Thunk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, you're party is fine. You can win with almost any party - you just have to use the right tactics.

With your magic heavy party, consider picking up Vi and RFS. Some people claim that NPCs drain experience, but I think a little experience drain is good because it allows you to practice your skills more. If you level up too fast you might end up fighting critters you don't have the skill to beat - plus you'll waste skill points at level up on skills that improve easily through practice.

RFS is the best npc in the game. He will follow you to the ends of the earth. There are some very important places Vi won't go, but you can drag her along so she doesn't lose experience (if you can tolerate her bitching). There are a couple of ways to render her unconscious right before you enter an area she's afraid of. Caveat: she's permanently hexed while she's in the area. So she won't fight or cast spells as well as she usually does. No big deal.

Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:54 pm
Faustino
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If you look at the total starting points on p 8 of the manual, you'll find that Hobbits have the same total as Humans, while others have -15 in most cases, -10 or -20 in others. Hobbits have most starting points in all classes except the fighter classes and priest. So I like Hobbits. For a fighter, a Lizard has strength and mental resistance benefits. So my party is:

Lizard Fighter
Human Lord
Hobbit Ranger
Dwarf Priest
Hobbit Rogue
Faerie Mage (female)

I think you need a Rogue - you can't depend on Myles, and using your own Rogue builds up in-party skills - on Day 10, my Rogue has Locks & Traps 77, Pickpocket 74 (and Reflextion (sic) 16). I ignored Myles, picked up Vi and (much later, so exp points divided by 7) the Android.

Sparkle is fun - I call her "Minnie Sparkle" - not only is she little, she reminds me of Minnie Bannister and Bluebottle in the Goon Show - and gets instant kills. One of the most entertaining NPCs.
Post Sat Apr 06, 2002 11:24 pm