Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Whats required for the nice water effects?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Ravan Kerymeth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My comment about the GeForce 4 Ti4200 was to any other people who are planning on upgrading their video card, but in regards to Super Ant I agree with the rest.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess your view depends on your income), technology is always steadily increasing, and that system just isn't going to keep up for much longer. For a few hundred dollars you could buy a brand new computer that would perform much better than that one and allow for later upgrades. I'd have to recommend you go that route, because your system is going to hold back any video upgrade you do.

And on another note, does anyone know how much RDRAM goes for these days? I purchased my computer (P4 1.7 Ghz) when they were using RD instead, and I know its expensive but I wanted to upgrade from my 256...I'm curious how painful it will be on my pocket or where I can most likely find it?
Post Thu May 02, 2002 9:09 pm
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I wish I worked more than I do, Saturdays for 6 hours for 6 bucks an hour just isn't enough to upgrade a PC quickly. (plus it takes up my playing time...)My parents won't help me get money, they think the computer's good enough... Hrpmh, I'll buy Morrowind and play with medium and low detail settings... Just like Max Payne and Half-Life, which run smoothly enough (at 800x600, mind you).

-Monty Python Live at Aspen

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Thu May 02, 2002 9:32 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Yeah that kinda sucks. Just buy some more ram as soon as you can. Thats your biggest problem.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 11:13 pm
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Can do. Got about $200 saved up so far. I'm thinking about buying Morrowind and some ram, then buying a new PC in the next few months, I hope.

-Monty Python Live at Aspen

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 12:49 am
DundeonKeeper

it is quite possible that these affects are produced through "pixel shading".. this being the case any geoforce card of the TI series should suffice. if you have difficulty with game lag i solved my problem by upgrading from a P4 256 cache to a P4 NK which has a 512 cache and whoa!! what a difference.. the p4 256 was a 1.5 ghz and the P4 nk 512 is a 1.6 ghz, so the pipeline determines alot more than i think alot of people realize. ive been running gothic in 1600 x 1200 without any lag. i also upgraded my sons to the same P4 and he runs an old voodoo 3 his graphics arent as crisp but he has no lag under the same resosulion with that old card (16MB ram). hope this helps anyone (its not just in the card)
Post Fri May 03, 2002 1:30 am

Ravan Kerymeth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

DundeonKeeper, that is good to hear. I have a P4 1.7 Ghz but as of right now only a GeForce 2 MX...so until about 2 weeks from now when I get my hands on the GeForce 4 Ti4200, I was hoping Morrowind would run decently (I plan on getting it tommorrow, hopefully it won't make me fail my finals
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:17 am

I think that I've seen recently that both nVidia and ATI have released new versions of their laptop chips. If I remember correctly ATI released a Radeon 8500 compatible and nVidia released a GeForce 3 compatible but these were just released within the last month or so and will probably only be going into new laptops for at least the next 3 to 6 months.

You might check out some of the hardware sites (tomshardware.com, sharkyextreme.com etc) and see if they have more info.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:21 pm

Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

ATI did release the Radeon. But it was the 7500 not the 8500 (8500 is the new standard AGP card). nVidia released a GeForce4 Equivalent that came out beginning of April.

The Geforce is the best 3D performance out of the two so thats what I'm getting. But the laptop versions of theses cards are always the cut down version due to power consumption issues etc. e.g. the GF4 is MX version

I am lucky I bought a DELL laptop, because its one of the very few that you can actually upgrade the graphics card.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:27 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3