View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Alakar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

WoW: is the game worthy of its acronym?

I also posted this in the WoW forum, but just so more people can see this:

Before I invest in a game without single player and with a $15 monthly fee, I need a few questions answered. (I know it's long but please read & respond anyway!)

First things first, being the huge Diablo II fan that I am, I need to know if people will be playing this in the months (maybe years) to come. When I get into a game, I really get into it. If people are gonna get bored with this in a year or two, it's not the game for me. I have to get tired of a game before it gets tired of me.

Second question: How is the interaction between people? In Diablo II, there was tons 'o PvP, tons 'o trading, and then of course plenty of PvE. I don't mind level grind or even boring/repetitive quests as long as it's worth it in the end.
Note: I spent countless Diablo II hours doing "Baal runs" and killing cows, but I did get to pound "noobs" (and godly people) into the ground.

Now for the final question: Is it challenging? Games without challenge can be fun for a while, but then they become pointless and boring. Is WoW a game where any old newbie can, in a matter of weeks, become incredibly powerful, or is WoW a game that rewards players for their efforts and their skills? Is WoW a game that takes time, patience, and skill; where only the tough prevail, or is WoW a game that one can conquer quickly and easily, without the rewarding feeling after a good trade, a good duel, or a well deserved level-up?

If you've made it to the end of this post, congratulations! Now please please please try and answer these questions!
Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:24 pm
Skywarp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: WoW: is the game worthy of its acronym?

I played WoW from December '04 to Feb '05. I'll answer your points best I can and add a few of my own.

quote:
Originally posted by Alakar
First things first, being the huge Diablo II fan that I am, I need to know if people will be playing this in the months (maybe years) to come. When I get into a game, I really get into it. If people are gonna get bored with this in a year or two, it's not the game for me. I have to get tired of a game before it gets tired of me.

One of the issues facing WoW right now was after lvl 60 there was nothing to do, other than gank, raise an alt, or farm for better gear. They have just implemented an Honor system where you can get honor points and spend it on uber gear. That's really all there is until Battlegrounds. And who knows when that's coming out?

IMHO, WoW is not frequent enough with new updates and features to hold attention forever.

quote:
Second question: How is the interaction between people? In Diablo II, there was tons 'o PvP, tons 'o trading, and then of course plenty of PvE. I don't mind level grind or even boring/repetitive quests as long as it's worth it in the end. Note: I spent countless Diablo II hours doing "Baal runs" and killing cows, but I did get to pound "noobs" (and godly people) into the ground.

WoW's forums are lit up like the 4th. Lots of PvP, interaction, etc. Just be carefull though about ganking. Many guilds with high levels are well established by now on both sides. In many PvP servers, ganking is huge and as of this post, there is no penalty I'm aware of for corpse camping. One can argue, "it's PvP get over it". But it can get frustrating when you're just starting out, you're low level, and you have no guild to back you up and this happens to you.

quote:

Now for the final question: Is it challenging? Games without challenge can be fun for a while, but then they become pointless and boring. Is WoW a game where any old newbie can, in a matter of weeks, become incredibly powerful, or is WoW a game that rewards players for their efforts and their skills? Is WoW a game that takes time, patience, and skill; where only the tough prevail, or is WoW a game that one can conquer quickly and easily, without the rewarding feeling after a good trade, a good duel, or a well deserved level-up?

It depends on what you condiser challenging and who you ask. WoW has bent over backwards to make this game appeal to the casual player with features like resting, where you log at an inn and get an XP bonus the next time you play. For me, as a casual player, this was fine. But I've heard more hardcore vets complain that it's too easy. If I were a power gamer, I can see myself grinding to lvl 60 in 2 months at the most.

The reason I left WoW, personally, was partly time commitments and partly the 12 year old Conterstrike refugees that act like complete tards. Being proud that you're 1337 is one thing. Having fun is fine. Griefing everyone else is crossing a line, and not worth my $15/month. There are better communities out there.

Hope this helps.
Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:48 pm
flashbak1971
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Some people most likely will be playing this game for some time to come. Some people are actually leveling every character class to 60 (some that I know have 3 or 4 characters already at the cap). Personally I cancelled my account. Been level 60 since December and there is nothing but loot farming and that is not a game, not imo. It is a mind numbingly boring excuse for a game.
IMO I enjoyed Diablo, was nothing near to the quality of a game that Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, etc was but it was a decent diversion for a short time. DiabloII was nothing more than more of the same and I dumped the game after about 20 minutes. Now, when I loaded up World of Warcraft for the first time I thought there was something oddly familiar. I borrowed a friends diabloII, played it for an hour and laughed my ass off. Uninstalled Diablo II comfortable in the fact that blizzards creativity ran out years ago. Instead of coming out with something new (which they have never really done) they took what I imagine Diablo3 might've been and slapped the world of warcraft trimmings on top of it. Heck alot of the items are straight rip offs from items in Diablo/DiabloII.
If you enjoy doing the same thing over and over and over and over again then WoW is most definately something you would enjoy. Instead of hours upon hours of Baal runs look forward to doing Upper BlackRock Spire, Lower BlackROck SPire, Molten Core, Onyxia over and over and over and over again. Player interaction, well I hear it depends on the server you choose but the pvp server I am on has one of the sorriest excuses for a community I have ever had the misfortune of coming across. These are people that would slit their own mothers throat to get money for mcdonalds. They are rude, foulmouthed, illiterate children who seem to get the most fun out of making sure that other peoples enjoyment is ruined.
Some people may find it challenging I spose, I didnt. Not even the big raid encounters; Molten Core and Onyxia offer little more than a passing challenge that can be outdone by a game of tetris. Most of the time you can play the game while doing homework or reading a book. Little to no actual player skill is required... not to say that there arent skillful players there. But the least skilled of players can easily make the level cap in pretty short order.
Post Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:53 am
Alcarin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes it's all true what you say

I don't have the original WoW because my mother won't give me credit card to pay but there are free testing realms for all that wish to try the game for free you only need to download american version 1.5.1 and control panel 2.1 and you can play for free thoug now servers are offline for 1 month and i dont know why!!!
Post Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:59 am
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

I will be short on my reply:

WoW isn't worth buying and monthly fee IMO. It is fun, however after lvl 60 it gets boring. Like any other game it has PvP. but in that case, I suggest you buy Guild Wars. After lvl 20, do GvG and it is hard. Very challenging.
Post Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:56 am
Vesuvius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

WoW is worth the money, it has a great community and a ton of fun things to do. The new expansion promises more endgame content which will be very welcomed.
"A game built by gamers for gamers"
Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:10 am