attribute influence on mage in BG
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Nothingman
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

attribute influence on mage in BG

Hi, I just can't find any in depth info how various attributes(wisdom, INT, strenght ...) affects my character in BG. I do not have AD&D books, and I found just Dan Simpson's faq on the net (which have too little info).
Can anyone answer me following questions:
1) Does wisdom have any influence on mage? If answer is YES, then what is it?
2) How various attributes affects (modify) damage in combats?
3) Is there any attribute that is not important to mage?

If you have any links on this subject I would be gratefull.

p.s. sorry for my bad English, it is not my first language.
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:53 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

1) Wisdom is only important for druids and clerics. For everyone else it provides a VERY small bonus to saving throws against enchantment/charm spells if VERY high (15+). It is not important to mages.

2) Dexterity affects your bonus to hit when using a ranged weapon, such as a sling. It is not important to mages (useful, but not important). Strength affects your bonus to hit and damage in melee combat. It is REALLY not important to mages.

3) The only statistic that is important to a mage is Intelligence. Constitution of 16 is nice as well. Everything else is nice to have but really not important.

Strength - Important to fighters, rangers, and paladins.
Dexterity - Important to thieves. Useful for everyone else.
Constitution - Useful for everyone
Intelligence - Critically important to Mages. Important to bards. Unimportant to everyone else.
Wisdom - Critically important to druids and clerics. Unimportant to everyone else.
Charisma - Unimportant to everyone (though paladins, bards, and druids require a minimum level it does nothing for them).

Naturally, the higher your stats are the better... but in Baldur's gate there's no difference between a 10 and a 14 (except when it comes to carrying capacity for strength) so don't worry too much. Every stat over 10 with an 18 in your most important stat and a 16 in constitution will suffice.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:39 pm
Nothingman
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for answer.
I just created my mage character.
After few minutes of rerolling I got 89 ability points to spend.
This is how I did it:

Strength: 10 - because I don't want to spend 2 more points for 20 libs of weight.
Dexterity: 18 - because I have little HP so I need good AC, and sling can come handy
Constitution: 16 - no need for more, because I am not warior, ranger or paladin.
Inteligence: 18 - no comment
Wisdom: 17 - because of +3 saving throws and some lore bonus.
Charisma: 10 - I am not sure why I set charisma to 10 when I could set it to 8 and get the same result. I guess I was affraid that it has some other purpose than just modify NPC's reaction.
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:14 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

89? Nice.

Congratulations, you have a perfect mage for BG 1 & 2.

In BG2 you get a ring right away that raises your charisma to 18. It still doesn't do much but it helps get the romance plotlines going.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:14 pm