Your Favorite RPG Character Class
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
gamemaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Your Favorite RPG Character Class

This is based on table top or text based games NOT VIDEO GAMES. Which character do you most like to manage above all others and why?
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:11 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

In Fantasy p&p games, I prefer to play big, burly fighting types with just enough mundane skills and magical powers to be able to lead a secret thieving life, be that in AD&D, DSA, MERP or Ars Magica (or whichever system we're playing at the time). They are basicallly good guys and gals, but very, very sticky-fingered. Why? Because... um... I like both the thrill of hand-to-hand combat and breaking into houses. In games .
In SF p&p games (like Traveller, WEG's SW, Fading Suns, Justifiers... etc.) I prefer playing either the valiant, protective, yet seriously disillusioned elderly soldier or the administrative stickler to the rules type (who can make other characters' lives hell just by being mulish). Then again, I'm mostly the gamesmaster when we play SF RPGs, so I'm allowed to make other players' lives hell . I prefer these two character classes/types because my players seem to like them, and I like to please my players. When I'm a player myself I have a thing for social outcasts, like combat robots etc. ('Ahhh.... leave this thing outside, will ya.').
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:43 am
gamemaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Like you I like to have a character with more than just a fighting skill and I have always found the Cleric to fit the build with his entrustment of healings / cursings and fighting skills to boot who can stand in his way?
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:13 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Hulking warrior or barbarian... I do enough thinking over the run of a day that sometimes a good old fashion "Sword go up. Sword come down." Fighter appeals to me.

Of course I also prefer hulking warriors who pretend to be metally inferior to get away with more things (He's an idiot... he didn't know any better) and manipulate situations to their advantage. Best of both worlds... heavy thinking AND 'sword goes up. sword comes down.'

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:35 pm
gamemaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

EverythingXen, that is the kind of character playing that absolutely scares me as a GM
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:40 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I live by a very simple code when roleplaying... play as if you cared. Players who sacrifice power for the sake of character are fine... periodically I'll do that as well... players who sacrifice character for power are less fine.

For the most part, however, there has to be a very good reason in character to not become the absolute best and most powerful person they can be. I stay away from item given power in games that have magical items because a character should be more than their equipment list. Equipment is a tool and it's there to be used: It just shouldn't define a character.

Instead, I leave it to DMs to control items of power... if they didn't want me to wield the Staff of Ultimate Cosmic Power they never should have placed it. The way the character is built is where I get my power... moderated by sensibility (in D&D 3rd edition I have no problem with 5 class combinations... as long as the classes are complementary and I can come up with a reasonable explanation why my character would have them).

My true power comes from knowing when rolling a snowball will start an avalanche as well as when to skip the snowball stage and go straight for the devastation.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:13 pm
gamemaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Okay, now you are applying experience and sensibility, maybe you are my kind of group player afterall
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:19 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Like most other gamers with 20+ years of experience I can (and have done so) roleplay everything from a pet rock to gerbil polymorphed into a tyranosaurus rex (his name was Snooky, and he was very confused at why his wizard kept running from him when he tried to get back into his warm little robe pocket home). I prefer characters who could be protagonists in main stream novels over those who are destined to be bit players in the same series. Bit players are interesting and help flush out a story, certainly, but a party should be protagonist material.

Why play Masked Guard 44B when I can play Conan? Why be Watson when you can be Holmes (though *I'd* play Moriarty... only craftier).

I'm dangerous when I play something that is not combat-oriented. One DM was tired of my powerful warriors and asked I play anything else. After my Bard overthrew three evil governments, took control of a neutral kingdom, and unified all the 'good' races in his campaign to completely erradicate the shattered remainder of his evil empire he begged me to go back to being a simple warrior cutting down his foes one monster at a time...

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:43 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I'm not a power gamer, and as a GM I consider myself to be rather fair. I only give my players considerable power when I know I can keep them in check. And, knowing them well, I rarely fail.
As for the 'being able to play any type of character' thing, well... as a GM you're supposed to be able to pull it of if you don't want to go cardboard. Still, I have preferences myself.

Oh right, and my (AD&D) group made an award for me back in '86 for 'the most realistic portrayal of a wall of pulsating white light'.
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:56 pm
gamemaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
he begged me to go back to being a simple warrior cutting down his foes one monster at a time...

I guess the guy just bit off too much in his GM skills. In Medieval green characters always have to be subservient in order to conquer, something that young inexperienced players never get. I like your thinking though.

quote:
'the most realistic portrayal of a wall of pulsating white light'

You people crack me up
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:25 pm
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I like to play a character that can heal at least himself. I usually play Clerics, but occasionally Paladins. never really pure fighting types.
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:49 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Point me towards an Elven Ranger, and I'm happy.

Why? Well, I think straight fighters are just boring, I don't have the patience to play a mage properly, I've never seen eye-to-eye with those sanctimonious priests, and thieves seem all very well and good at first but you rapidly realise the there's a lot of baggage that comes with being a thief. What better than a man of the woods, with his ranged weaponry and his ability to survive on his own?
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:37 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

I tend to also go for fighter types but it depends on the system (and the alignment)

If it's good D&D - then I'm a paladin - perferabley Half Celestial but I'd settle for Aasimar (otherwise Elf)

If it's D&D and I feel evil then it's drow Ranger -
"Er... yeah I'm er that Drizzt's Brother. oh and the bodies where like that when I got here, what kinda sick puppy would take such pleasure in this kind of wanton, thilling destruction.... er sorry where was I? My that is a nice sword you have there"

If it's Shadowrun then it Cyber me up baby - get as much cyber in my body as possable then roll 24 D6 on a single shot - ahh happy memories

The old Warhammer games where probably the most interesting with Chaos being really interesting - "Oh great Khorne let me you power that I may lay waste to these insufferable do-gooders"

Hmm come to think of it this could be why my DM's always make me play good guys
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:26 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Ah, Shadowrun... my favorite RPG EVER. 24 D on a single attack would be impressive indeed. The ork physical adept in the game I'm running geared himself up to have an unarmed skill of 6 (12) at character generation by spending 1.5 power points on unarmed combat. Then killing hands serious.

Seeing him roll 20 dice by blowing his combat pool on a regular basis is devastating enough... but that's what multiple opponents are for. Even his 20 dice begin to falter when he's fighting two or three sword wielding Yakuza (normal human... I don't want him dead, after all). Chumley D Troll, a friend of his, beat him unconscious with a staff in a playfight ... it sobered the player up to realize exactly how potent the +3 reach on a troll is when used defensively (SR 3).

And another time he simply sucked up a Defiant 250 shotgun blast by twitchy guard for a druglord. Once you have a Moderate wound your life is very much in your friend's hands. It got the player out of "D&D mode where getting hit 20 times with a sword was fine.

As for cyberware... well... I love it and it's potent but it doesn't come without consequence. My players have feared going below 3 or 4 essence ever since a Vampire grabbed the Street Samurai, sank its fangs into her neck, drained an Essence point, spat violently and disgarded her lifeless corpse with a hiss of disgust. Nothing like the knowledge that there are things out there that can drain Essence to prompt players to take it easy on the cyberware...

Post Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:05 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I really like to play support characters. Clerics, bards, rogues and rangers. Of course, I tend to make them battle-oriented because I'm not a pacifist.
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:01 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next