City of Heroes Bans Negative comments
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

City of Heroes Bans Negative comments

Hm. Over at the official site for <a href="http://www.coh.com/" target="_blank">City of Heroes</a>, they don't seem to like critizism at all. According to a newsbit at <a href="http://www.rpgplanet.com/cityofheroes/" target="_blank">Paragon City Hall</a>, this is what the lead forum moderator had to say to the community: <br><UL><i>What in God's name is going on here? <br> <br>We have near 30k folks and have been here for > than a year, and all of a sudden you people have lost your bloody minds? There are more than THREE MILLION WEBSITES on the internet. That leaves you 2,999,999 places to go where people CARE about your negative opinions. Why do you have to shat upon this board? <br> <br>This is not your board. You don't get to do it here. There are dozens of fan sites, go shat there. Stop doing it here. <br> <br>Why is this a difficult concept to grasp? And how stupid is it to wait over a year, then decide you've had enough and start violating board policy, get banned, and never see the beta? <br> <br>If you don't have anything nice to say, shut up. The updates will come when they come. If they aren't here, bitching about them will not make them come. The beta will get here when it does, and you won't be in it if you keep this up. <br> <br>Knock it off.</I></UL>No comment.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:32 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Nice public relation. Keep out the good works.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:42 pm
Sproutnik

the reason...

During the day, he seems your average forum guy. But when the night comes, he is MODERATOR, the evil abject forum dweller, the arch enemy of THE SILVER TROLL who fight for justice and true release date and just because he likes it !

what will happen ? stay tune for more flaming from CITY OF HEROES FORUM
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:28 pm

Res

What idiots...

I wouldn't buy their stinkin' game...that's for sure.

They could shove it right up their...you know what.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:34 pm

Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

Most of the time I look at the reviews and comments on a game. If it's only positive I won't uy the game. I have never seen a game where everyone loved it, and I want to see why people didn't like it to decide if I fall into that category.

You need to know the positives and negatives of any game to make an educated decision as to whether to buy it or not. I really enjoyed Freedom Force, but I don't think I'll be buying this as they don't want to let people have their say and I think that's wrong. It's different if people are being obscene or abusing people, ut stating your opinion of a game, and being eager for it's release should not be censorship material. That really sucks.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:49 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

I can't speak for all of RPGDot, of course, but I will follow this guy's reasoning and will not report about any CoH related stuff in the future. According to this strange fellow, there must be "2,999,999 other sites" where you can get all the latest CoH news.
I used to check Cryptic's site *daily* for updates. I have just deleted the CoH site from my bookmarks.
Freedom of speech is one of the highest values in our society. If Cryptic chooses to ignore this basic rule, claiming that the CoH forums are a private place, then I choose to ignore Cryptic as they seem to not even remotely understand the basics of democracy.
In other words: Get lost, Cryptic or get rid of your (like what?) 14 years old (?) forum admin who is apparently not capable of dealing with people at all.
It's ridiculous to threaten people by telling them they may not be considered for beta because of uttering criticism. It is outrageous to direct potential "flamers" to one of the fan sites just because the fan sites *might* be happy to get more hits.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that (news) coverage on RPGDot is vital to the success of CoH but I choose to no longer care about CoH. It's fine with me if any other editor at RPGDot is going to post CoH related news in the future. I won't.
Posting news about a game is always a supportive act in one way or another. I do not and will not support a company that imposes censorship of any kind.

P.S.: Make sure to check all four posts on top of the main page at Paragon City Hall. The post quoted in the newsbit is quite disturbing but once you've read all four posts, you'll probably agree that a certain someone should be removed from his office rather than me removing the CoH site from my bookmarks...
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:08 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Looks like somebody at NCSoft finally saw the light and put a leash on Mr. MacAllen.
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:11 am
mkreku

Now where did I ever see another board where they didn't like criticism..? Hmm.
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:59 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Tell me.
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:28 pm
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'd like to take a minute just to say thank you to Rend, Myrthos and the moderators who have not allowed the site to limit conversation or silence opinions they personally didn't agree with. It's good to know the only way you will be silenced is for inappropriate language and/or behaviour, which none of us want.

Thank you for making a site where it is a santuary. No one goes off at people, but you can have a heated debate, and it is a really good environment to be involved in.

Thank you again for not trying to santise RPGDot into a cotton-wool, owner/admin opinion only allowed site. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that was really grateful for RPGDot after reading about the baning of negative comments regarding City of Heroes.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:16 pm