View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Kiff
I (IMHO) think that all the /commands that give players the ability make a player in a game so much more unattached. UO had it nice, you could only talk to the ppl you could see on your screen. But having a /tell for ppl on your friends lists would be nice on top of that. Oh well...

I guess you have a point. It's true that /tells don't make it very worthwhile to travel to actually meet someone. Actually it happened to me several times before that I was introduced to someone and kept communicating through /tells until we finally had a decent enough reason to meet. The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. But /tells are so embedded in our online lives by now... I wonder what would happen if we lost it!

quote:
Originally posted by Kiff
On another note...Names over the heads suck. Names need to been seen, because players just are not easily distinguishable, but over the head sucks. The option to turn names off is available but that turns the monsters or enemys names off too...thats not good. Maybe names placed accross the chest or something like that would do....we'll see.

Well, as technology advances, and graphics get more and more complexe, I think that this name issue will eventually disappear. Again, I don't want to preach for SWG (don't jump on me please! ) but I swear to you that I don't need the name to identify someone I know as they come towards me, not unless they are wearing a full set of armor. The key here is not really to make names display differently (although I agree that the overhead way is not ideal) but instead to make it so that the avatars are dinstinctly unique through better creation tools. And SWG is a prime example to follow in that field.

As for displaying names, most newer games have different options available to turn off NPC, Player and monster names individually. I remember DAoC implemented this last year I think, most new games should come out with this feature included at launch. That's not really an issue either.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:35 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Ekim does SWG give players to change the way they walk too? Not everyone in the real world walks the same. So why do we have to in these games. I think it would be easy to make a few different player models that swagger, strut, or walk with a limp along with a normal walk. That would make it real easy to tell friends apart if ppl are wearing simular gear. How hard would that be?
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:42 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
I guess you have a point. It's true that /tells don't make it very worthwhile to travel to actually meet someone. Actually it happened to me several times before that I was introduced to someone and kept communicating through /tells until we finally had a decent enough reason to meet. The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. But /tells are so embedded in our online lives by now... I wonder what would happen if we lost it!

Dunno. Even in uo i didnt need much tells to find people or action, all i needed to do was hang around in our local town (nohkamahr) or in its pub/ask around (from nearby people where everyone else were) and i always managed to fetch up few friends or guildmates or local villagers even.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:59 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

@Kiff
Not to my knowledge, SWG characters all run the same as I have seen. But other games do have different walking/running animations depending on the race you choose. I know that's not what you're talking about, but it's a start I guess inputing a choice of walking/running animation choice at character creation might be a little too demanding on the character database on the servers. SWG has a huge problem already because they say that the amount of data stored for each individual character in the game takes a lot of space... Bandwidth being a precious commodity these days, I believe that for the present time that might be asking too much.

But who knows what the future will bring?
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:15 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

One thing i think the future MMOs would do well is if they incorporated player-created content. Now, imagine it takes a team of 20+ developers to make content for these games. Thats a lot of money. However, notice that if they make it easy for players to introduce content into the game. You would end up with 100 TIMES more content inside the game because all the players are creating it for other players to experience. This might be the future of online gaming, and we are seeing it implemented a little at a time through crafting, building houses, and player-generated quests. However, it can go A LOT further. If in-game tools were provided for players that fit within the gameplay, like the ability to dig tunnels in the earth and build dungeons, breed monsters, genetically (or magically) alter creatures to form new creatures, ect, it would be difficult to prevent exploits unless the system was intelligently designed enough for it. Or even have some Moderators (players even!) that have company goals to moderate the creation of this player-made content so that things wouldnt get out of hand and people couldnt exploit it so much. Just an idea.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:16 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Build their own dungeons...that would be cool. The write quest for it, and put whay every mobs they can think of in there. I wonder if this is even possible in an MMO? Would be cool though.
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:51 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

How about player content in this way. Players could post quests on boards, I don't excatly what type of quests, but then other players could fullfill them. They then would get whatever reward was being offered by the poster, and also the poster of the quest could grade them (the completer of the quest) on the quality of the finished job. This works with bounty hunting. Good bounty hunters will have a good rating and poor ones would have low ratings. By those ratings they could set their price for a job.

Also, this alignment system. Alignment in some games is done only by completing a quest put in by the devs. I don't do many quests and so it's hard for me to change my alignment. I'm a good guy though and I really enjoy helping people in games more than doing most other things. So if I help someone out, and they want to give me praise, they can't. If there where a way, if I help someone out, I could offer them a window...(kinda like a trade window) that will let them evaluate me on a job or something. This way, I can do all my social interaction and get a good alignment. Or if an evil guy kills someone, their eval box pops up instantly and the dead person can then grade them. And say the highest marks +10 = super great guy , or -10 = scumbag and should be banned , those marks would have to be justified. Meaning the person writing them has to explain why they marked it that way. Anyway just thought this would be a way to add content.
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:01 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Im still waiting on the MMO game that you can actually build stuff, brick by brick. Imagine if you could buy a plot of land, and start laying down pieces of what you want to build. So i would dig deep into the earth to make the basements, then start laying down wooden boards for the floors (gotten from trees), then lay down the foundation a brick at a time, in any way i want, just like legos and linken-logs. I would go crazy for that. Man i would be building crap for people all freakin day if i could do that. It would be really cool if you could buy a square mile and do whatever you want. Say i buy a whole freakin mountain, including below the ground. I would build me the coolest underground tunnel system in the mountain with secret areas and places only i could get to. Id make my home in that mountain like a dwarf. It would be even cooler if i could build a little subterranean town that people can come to! Like place a sign outside and have it point into a tunnel enterance saying "Ammon's Abode, City Under the Mountain -- Come and have some Grog for only 5 copper!" ahahhaha "the Second Mug is FREE!"... Then imagine if you can dig deep under the earth, way way way way way way way down there. That would rock! Maybe you get so far down there that you punch into the ceiling of the Underdark, LOL. Hey, Darkfall has something like that. There are tons of underground areas in Darkfall. Man Darkfall has everything.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:20 am
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Here is something I wouldn't so much like to see, rather hear. Ambiant (spellcheck) sounds suck. I'm in a dungeon full of 13 other players and all I'm hearing is a few moans and a breeze from somewhere? 13 ppl are packed in there, can I hear the chatter of ppl talking plz? Or when I'm walking through a very packed banking area I want to hear the roar of the crowd. Do something more with the ambiant (spellcheck) sounds for goodness sake.
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:10 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3