Talking Mud Crab
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Talking Mud Crab

I know the talking mud crab buys anything, but what's his budget? I mean I don't want to hunt around for him if he only buys up to, say, 5000. I can go to Creeper for that. Failing the mud crab, where can I sell my 30000+ stuff?
Post Tue May 06, 2003 7:41 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The talking mudcrab has ten thousand gold on hand. I don't think he buys everything, but will be more than happy to purchase weapons, armour and potions at least. He's an excellent place to get rid of Daedric and Ebony weaponry!

Edit: Typo
Post Tue May 06, 2003 12:10 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Mudcrab

I have Daedric weapons comong out ma ears You want some? Lol. Nowhere to get a decent price for them - at 100000 a go who'll buy them? I sure could do with the money.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 3:15 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

This is where you can install a mod to help out. Many say that having a rich merchant unbalances the economy, but I really don't get it. You've done the work to acquire "high-end loot". From what I've seen (admittedly, I haven't seen it all), merchants don't generally sell "high-end loot", so having a fist full of cash doesn't allow you to purchase unbalancing items that you didn't earn. Since you can't end up with anything better than what you already earned, I don't see it as unbalancing. Just my opinion...

If you choose to go that direction, "Zed the Merchant" is an excellent choice.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue May 06, 2003 3:25 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Mudcrab

Sounds a GREAT idea. Yep, I mean we risk our lives (so to speak, lol) and then can't sell the booty. The money goes back into the economy (for want of a better word), I mean, there's no bank. We pay for training, beds, potions, armour and weapons repair - just like RL
Where do I get this mod? Or any mods, come to think of it. I'm new to RPGs and have never tried one before. Will it stuff up the original game? I have Tribunal added already (those dammed Dark Assassins are coming at me 2 and 3 at a time now - but they're armed with Daedric weapons more to sell, lol)
Post Tue May 06, 2003 3:37 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Mudcrab

OOhh Just thought. There're already some expensive items for sale in the game; eg. the Soul Gems What's-her-face upstairs at the Balmora Mages Guild sell for 60000. Not that I paid for mine lol. But I know I've seen a few 'high-end' weapons and items - just can't recall where now.
I mean, if you're high level enuf to be able to kill the creatures that carry the weapons, you're probably high enuf to able to afford to buy them (if you want).
Post Tue May 06, 2003 3:45 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

There are several sites that host MW mods. I like this one:

http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/mods/mods.asp

To use a mod, put/unzip the file into the "data files" subdirectory in the MW directory. When you fire up the game, pick the "data files" option from the intro screen. Checkmark the mods that you want to use. You can then start your game and those mods will be in effect. You might see some errors as the game starts up- that's OK, continue running the executable. We'll discuss fixing that problem in my second lecture.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 4:10 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Mudcrab

There's more! I didn't even understand the first sentence; Unzip? Data files subdirectory? Checkmark? Executable? WTF??
Told you I was new to these things.
And for your own sake don't get me started on the magic side of a game. I can't understand that either. I'll NEVER be a mage lol. Why DO they make these things so dammed hard to understand? Either that or they think people have been playing these things for years. Looks like they forgot that we all started somewhere.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 12:08 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Alrighty then, let's back up a bit.

Based on your post in another thread, I'll take you step-by-step thru the process of using the "Zed" mod. Hopefully, I won't skip any steps. I'll probably get too detailed, but we'll make certain you make it thru. I hope you won't find it insulting.

Click on the link in my last post, which will spawn a new window with the Morrowind Summit mod database. Actually, it looks like my link is misbehaving. Click on "database" under Plugins on the left side. On the right, you'll see a pulldown menu under "view mods by title". Click on the little down-arrow and zoom down to the "Zed the Merchant" and pick it. Click on the view button. The description for Zed comes up. Right click on the mod title and select "save target as". This will bring up a window that allows you to pick the folder Zed will go into. Track down your MW folder (probably c:\program files\bethesda\morrowind--- I put mine in a different location so I don't remember the default). In that MW folder will be another folder called "Data Files". That's where we want to put Zed.

We'll do the next part later. Let me know if you have any problems. BTW- it's a long paragraph that will take you about 2 minutes to do, so don't sweat it.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 3:04 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Mudcrab

Hey THANX HEAPS. Very well written and clear, even I could follow it. Trouble was I don't know where MW IS I tried a few things & had a look about but I dunno. I think I'd better get in touch with the guy who built my PC and see what's what and where. Keep going with the tutorial tho, I REALLY appreciate it. I'll figure it, don't worry. I 'm not THAT stupid - weelllll lol. Maybe I am. But I'll give my best shot.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 6:07 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Perhaps someone else remembers the default install directory?

To find it yourself, doubleclick on the "My computer" icon. In that window will be an icon for your hard drive, almost certainly assigned "C:" Doubleclick on that. Now you're looking at the root directory of your hard drive. There will be a folder icon called "program files". Doubleclick to open that folder. (side note- "folder" and "directory" are basically interchangeable. Although the correct Windows term is "folder", I'm an old fart and tend to slip into old DOS terminology)

This is where you'll have to do a little hunting. There will most likely be a bunch of folders contained inside "program files". I think one will be called "Bethesda" or "Bethsoft". Doubleclick on it. From there you should be able to track down the folder called "morrowind", although you may have to open additional folders to find it. If you hit a dead end, you can back up a step by clicking on the "up" button in your toolbar (near the top of the window).

If you've got some time on your hands, it can be educational to click through many of the folders on your hardrive. You'd be surprised how much junk can show up.

Once you've found the "data files" folder inside the "morrowind" folder, we can continue. For now, I'm off to bed.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 7:37 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

The default install directory (assuming c: drive) is C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind .
Post Wed May 07, 2003 9:55 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Mudcrab

YAAYYY!!!!!!!!! I found it.
And after following your instructions, "Zed" is now in "Data files" I'm eagerly awaiting part two of my lesson now, lol. Pity you have to sleep.
I'll let you in on a small secret here. Since I've been playing MW I'v only been getting about 5 - 6 hours sleep. Lol, I usually have 9. Dammed game, lol. Thank god there's noone around to bother or nag me about how long I spend on it.
And DOS? What you mean old? Chronilogically or PC wise? I've only had a PC a little over 13 months - I'm so new I've still got the wrapping on.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 10:35 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

If you have 'Zed' in the 'data files' after downloading it, it is still in .zip format. (name of the file is "Zed_0531.zip")

You have to extract the file out of the zip into the "data files"

1. double click the "Zed_0531.zip" , this opens the zip
2. click and drag the file: "Zed.esp" and put it into the "data files"
3. open the morrowind launcher. Click on data files
4. Double click the box in front of the "Zed.esp" , you should get a cross in the box.
Now Zed is activated

I hope my explenation is clear enough. I'm not very good in explaining things.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Wed May 07, 2003 10:57 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Mudcrab

I'll soon find out
Thanx for that, I'll give it a go.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 12:49 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next