View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Stayce
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Cannot load Gothic 2

We guess what?

Having finally got the original Gothic working on my PC again and playing it through in preparation for the sequel, what should happen when I eagerly install Gothic II?

Yep, I can't get the damn thing to work! I sense a pattern here, first Outcast then Gothic and now Gothic II.

Anyway my problem is this. After installing the game and running it, the program locks up after running the virtual disk config on my system. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my system...

Athlon 1.2 Ghz processor
Windows ME
Gerforce 4 Ti 4200
384 megs of ram
30 gig hard disk partitioned into two 15 gig blocks
DirectX 9
41.09 drivers for my graphics card.

I've tried shutting down everything in the background until I only have systray and explorer running, but the game still doesn't work.

Please give me a hand here as I've been waiting for this game and really don't want to have to take it back.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:12 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Please explain what 'virtual disk config' is. This sounds like one of the things this Sony copy protection hates.

How long did you wait when it locked up? The first start can take a minute because some files are created.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:05 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think he refers to stuff like Daemon Tools and Nero ImageDrive or some sort.

Will it work if he uninstalls those programs from his computer?
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:38 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Definitely worth a try. This is the 3rd thing tech support tells you after 1.plug in your power cable and 2. install the latest driver.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:58 pm
Brolli999999
City Guard
City Guard

reformat your computer if nothing else works , install lastest drivers for your video card and direct x that should work , having daemon tools , nero , cdrwin etc wouldnt be the cause of the problem i dont think , i got everything on my comp and everything runs fine , did you try playing the demo did it work or do the same thing? Reformat trust me
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:21 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hey i got that too, not the error though...

when i load up gothic it says "checkin virtual disk file system" i don't have Dtools nor Nero installed...sometimes it's loading really long {green bar keeeps filling over and over" but i just checked..it just loads up...shows the "checking virtual disk file system" and then it starts the game.

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:28 pm
Brolli999999
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Originally posted by bigkabuto
Hey i got that too, not the error though...

when i load up gothic it says "checkin virtual disk file system" i don't have Dtools nor Nero installed...sometimes it's loading really long {green bar keeeps filling over and over" but i just checked..it just loads up...shows the "checking virtual disk file system" and then it starts the game.

hmm no idea what that is , i hope it doesnt happen to me , can you ask tech support what it means?
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:32 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

No it doesn't matter, i luckily don't have the error, i can play Gothic2 fine, but first while loading it just checks for like 1/2 seconds for virtual disk file system" and then it loads up Gothic II, it really ain't no big dealio.

Hey Topicstarter, i know this might sound alittle drastic...but maybe formatting your PC would help? try other forums, if you can speak german go to the worldofgothic.de forums and explain your GII problem there....i really don't have much tips either, i just gotta say it must really SUCK to have something like this happening....waiting for the damn game for so long and then it don't work....hope you get it fixed soon..keep us posted.

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:24 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Cannot load Gothic 2

Actually, I remember the first time I ran Gothic 2, I had to wait for about 20 minutes for the program to generate some data. So, Stayce, wait longer -- miracles may happen.

And, do NOT reformat your hard drive unless you're entirely sure that your system is screwed up. This is your last option. Just try some alternate solutions first. (e.g. wait longer, uninstall any questionable applications such as Norton CrashGuard , install different video/sound/mobo drivers, etc.)
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:51 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I hate to say this but Microsoft Me isn’t really a game playing platform. I had built a system for my little girl to play games on and I used Me as the OS and I had nothing but problems. I got so fed up with the system I wiped it and loaded XP Pro and it’s been deamsville ever since. When you make a decision to run high end games it is just not enough to have a high end system (but it does help), you also need a high end (and stable) OS. Take my word…I do this foe a living.

Sylvio
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:16 pm
Stayce
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'll slink sheepishly back to this thread and admit that I spoke a little too soon.

My particular issue with the game was that (like quite a few people it seems) the game takes such a long time to load, and without any evidence of hard disk access (i.e. little flashing light not flashing) that i called up ctrl+alt+del menu and it told me that the game wasn't responding so I assumed a lock up. Eventually decided what the hell and left while I went to get some lunch and came back to find the thing working. Loading takes ages but I can live with that as the game is pretty damn cool and a huge improvement over its already good prequel. Now I'm just wondering why everything that comes out of JoWood seems to have its fair share of technical issues.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:07 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Stayce
I'll slink sheepishly back to this thread and admit that I spoke a little too soon.

My particular issue with the game was that (like quite a few people it seems) the game takes such a long time to load, and without any evidence of hard disk access (i.e. little flashing light not flashing) that i called up ctrl+alt+del menu and it told me that the game wasn't responding so I assumed a lock up.
This behaviour is absolutely normal. The internal file system is created at the first startup. Your system is below average, so it takes some time. You only have a technical problem if this happens at every start.

quote:
Eventually decided what the hell and left while I went to get some lunch and came back to find the thing working. Loading takes ages but I can live with that as the game is pretty damn cool and a huge improvement over its already good prequel.

Quicksave can be enabled in the gothic.ini. But be careful, only use it in 'neutral' mode. Not in combat, etc.

quote:
Now I'm just wondering why everything that comes out of JoWood seems to have its fair share of technical issues.

Because their QA sucks! No, they´re getting better quickly. A normal game development cycle takes 2 years. It´s possible some of their games were beyond the point of no return when JoWooD changed their QA policy. I agree some games were not in release condition when they hit the shelves.

Gothic 2 doesn´t have that many technical problems. The official German tech support forum wasn´t very busy with only ~2000 threads in 6 months if you take into consideration that the game sold more than 100k units. Now subtract some standard driver issues and the 90% of the people who don´t know about the search function and the failure rate is way below 1%, including small bugs.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:48 pm
Kirkr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I had the very long load-up times as well (caused by the virtual disk file system). Moving the file vdfs.exe from your Gothic System folder to the root directory worked for me. Now Gothic 2 loads up in less than a minute (including loading a save game).
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:20 pm
Larbry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Ragnar
I hate to say this but Microsoft Me isn’t really a game playing platform. I had built a system for my little girl to play games on and I used Me as the OS and I had nothing but problems. I got so fed up with the system I wiped it and loaded XP Pro and it’s been deamsville ever since. When you make a decision to run high end games it is just not enough to have a high end system (but it does help), you also need a high end (and stable) OS. Take my word…I do this foe a living.

I have to agree with Ragnar, I do this for a living too and Windows ME sucks bad. It has problems with memory leaks. Lockups can occur for many reasons like heat, even the video card getting hot or a power supply problem, etc.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:44 am
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

(just to avoid repeating myself) follow this link.

.nico
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:06 am