That's it - I'm going to learn German
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That's it - I'm going to learn German

Ok so now I've ordered both Gothic I and Gothic II from Germany. I've got them both in English, but I wish to learn German so I can get to play Gothic III as soon as it gets released... and what better way to learn it?

I guess I'll end up saving before every conversation and replaying it over and over again while looking up words in the dictionary (which will make the first visit to the city of Khorinis a true terror). Hopefully I won't have as hard a time as you Americans have - being Norwegian I can easily recognize many of the German words.

So have any of you perhaps already done this? What was it like... did you have a very hard time?
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:00 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

I was going to order Gothic 2 from Germany when it first came out, attempting the same thing as you.

I didn't go through with it. I tried to test my dedication with learning German just for this game, with the Demo of G2.
It was horrendus. German is a tough language to learn, it's even harder to translate accurately into English.

Then again, I'm Canadian. I speak and write English, and learn French by law. With Spanish on the side.
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:12 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by FetishFool
... learn French by law.

By law... Really? Geez, I thought those introductory French courses in anglophone provinces are quite a joke.

@Malgorath: Good to know that you endeavour to learn a new language. Learning German, thought difficult, is certainly a good choice as it does have a widespread coverage in Europe. It is even better to know that your Norweigian base gives you a good start. Nonetheless, good luck to your new journey.
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:12 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

Re: That's it - I'm going to learn German

quote:
Originally posted by Malgaroth
Ok so now I've ordered both Gothic I and Gothic II from Germany. I've got them both in English, but I wish to learn German so I can get to play Gothic III as soon as it gets released... and what better way to learn it?

I guess I'll end up saving before every conversation and replaying it over and over again while looking up words in the dictionary (which will make the first visit to the city of Khorinis a true terror). Hopefully I won't have as hard a time as you Americans have - being Norwegian I can easily recognize many of the German words.

So have any of you perhaps already done this? What was it like... did you have a very hard time?

Dictionary ha don't make me laugh .If you don't know the german language then don't play the game.It'll take you hours to transelate a small text and you'll get bored listening the dialogs if you can't understand what they mean.
In gothic3 you won't understand even the story or the quests.Also many worlds are hard to find.I know german and I can understand gothic2 very well.But there are a few word(gothic)that I've never learned and it was difficult in the begging.But when I learned them it was a piece of cake.
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:58 pm
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for your encouragement Kiwi.

Patriot, as I said I'm able to recognize most words as they're very similar to Norwegian. I also took German classes in high school, though that was 7 years ago so I don't remember much grammar.

I'm pretty much fluent in English now thanks for computer games, and if this thing with Gothic works out I might keep purchasing german editions of all my future games.
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:15 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Good luck!

Dont listen to patiot, hes just a big mean kitty...
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:44 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

Do what you want.I won't stop you .
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:07 pm
Jackie
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

You have done register at jowoods forum??
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:43 am
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I have now, by the username Grimmwulf.
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:01 am
Shibuya-Ku
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic III and German Language

Interesting idea, but you should know that German is a very strange language. uc - my english is very bad, but trust me, and i got 2 years of english lessons@school and your german will be more badly than my englisch.

You will not be able to communicate with other people, because the persons in the german gothic speak difficult dialects and have a very common language (hope you understand what i'm writing ).

Hint: A crew of germans with bulgarian friends translated the subtitles of gothic II to englisch. Looks like an amazing project and is easy to realize because everyone in germany speaks/writes english better than I.

If you got Questions and want to talk with one of these germans be free to mail Protoss_Netz@web.de.

And good luck - i would be happy if you learn german. But you have to think about it twice.
Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:55 am
goblin i karry
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

learning german just to play G3 sooner...

I can surely wait till it comes out in english

But the best of luck to you
Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:46 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

I've been "learning" German for years, and I've leaned that learning it at school is useless. It doesn't actually teach you how to use the stuff you learned to talk generally, but you can only say the sentences/words you've learned. And because there must be thousands of words in the language, it will take years to learn, which is why you want to take a professional paid course where they will teach you generally where you can adapt to new words and sentences and phrases etc instead of learning bit by bit which you never remember.I also used to live in Germany for 3 years and that also helped me a lot.

Well I won't tell you good luck.I'll tell you to work hard.

@Jackie:And what if I have.
Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:24 pm