Morrowind = Best RPG I've played!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
nwmagi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Morrowind = Best RPG I've played!

This game is incredible.. That's the only way to put it. I've put in about 30 hours so far and have barely scratched the surface. It's so addicting!

I have to take a stab at the Gothic fanboys.. The first Gothic in no way compares to this. I played Gothic till I was bored and didn't even finish. This game is head and shoulders above it.

Neverwinter is a joke compared to this. Can't believe I chose it over this when it came out...

I just had to do some dissing because of the BS people talk about Morrowind when comparing games..
Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:47 am
Imago Storm
Dremora
Dremora

Comparing games with such a diverse layout/ structure/ goal/ intention is about as difficult as comparing apples and oranges. In my opinion, Morrowind and Gothic are totally different games with different aims. While one is wonderfully open but lacking in the AI department, it's exactly the other way around with the other game. Both types of games have their merits and drawbacks, and both types of games will have their fanboys. I don’t think fanboyism is something to be proud of, but to react to displays of narrow-mindedness in the same manner by ‘dissing’ other games is not necessarily a sign of maturity. Just my two cents.

That aside, I really enjoyed Morrowind and I agree in that it’s a wonderful game, even though I liked Daggerfall (the Elder Scrolls CRPG before Morrowind) better.
Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:49 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

@nwmagi:

I am glad you liked Morrowind. I personaly thought it was the most boring game I have ever played. I didnt like it even 10% as much as I liked Gothic.

But thats beside the point. You like it and thats all that matters. There is no point in going on about which is better. If you like it, you like it. If you dont, you dont.

Just enjoy the game.
Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:38 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic is just better than Morrowind
just like apples are better than oranges

(turn the titles around the way you like)

anyways this discussion is old and not very relevant but feel free to give your opinion
Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:57 pm
nwmagi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Lol!

That was just some payback for listening to advice that Morrowind wasn't up to par in some areas. Kept me from getting it for years.. Can't believe I just started playing... It's like crack on steroids.. Probably wear off pretty soon.. I hope..

Just to let anyone know who is thinking about this game that the GOTY version is a great deal and if you like RPG's you can't go wrong. But.. it does crash occasionally.. If you quick save a lot it's not a big deal.. Even with that defect I love this game.
Post Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:11 am
IGiveItToYa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i've heard about this game so much i got to try it out and see,i would have done it erlier but my computer wouldent support it but now i'm getting a new computer and i'm try it i'm also try Daggerfall

For my tho Gothic1&2 is simply the most fufulling game for me(i wont say best becouse they might better games out there that i havent tried)i love those games and cant wait for Gothic3

my first RPG was Dungeon Siege but it not that good infact it's not good at all in my opinion too many cheats in Multiplayer, then i started playing D2:LOD and that game was sweet so addicting it's worst than crack,heroin and i woudent stop playing it(Blizzardreally knows how to make the best games,i also got to try WoW)and then i bought gothic wich i never heard of or seen it before i just fell in love with the cover box and when i started playing it i was maddly in love with it until my girlfriend got jealous so i stoped playing it for 7 months but now i'm back and no my girlfriend dosent know about it,but once i get a new Cpu i'll try Morrowind
Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:09 am
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Morrowind and gothic

Both games are very good. Here are some of my thoughts about them:

Morrowind are more open than Gothic with much more optional quests ( which you don't need to do to complete the game ). Morrowind has more than a dozen of guilds/houses and Gothic has only 3-5 guilds. The world of Morrowind is much larger. Gothic is more intense than Morrowind especially especially in the first part of the game.

Another thing to consider is if your machine crashed while playing morrowind, you would expect more with gothic. Perhaps the use of much more audio dialogs and third person RPG in Gothic is demanding on the CPU.
Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:25 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I would summarize the games as follows:

Morrowind: Huge world with many many quests and things to explore, but feels "diluted" and can get boring. But nothing equals it in terms of scope. Also the level of customization you can add to your characters appearance and skills is unsurpassed.

Gothic: Smaller than Morrowind but much a much tighter and more refined experience. Much more attention to detail. Every area has something interesting to explore. The geology is far beyond anything in Morrowind. Downsides are that your are limited to a small number of ways to customize your character compared to Morrowind, but still very reasonable when compared to most RPG's.

The one you prefer depends on whether you are willing to sacrifice attention to detail for huge scope, or visa versa.
Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:31 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Is there anyone who has completed ALL of the quests? I'm too tired to do quests like: "Fetch my pants!" (that's a real quest btw )
The world is huge but you propably wont enjoy the world because of the bunny hopping and the 100,000,000 monsters that cross your path every 0,5 seconds.

It's a great game
Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:49 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by mazu
Is there anyone who has completed ALL of the quests?

It's physically impossible to complete all the quests with a single character, as there are various mutually-exclusive organisations. But as far as a single character can go, I've run into one person who claimed that there were no more quests available to him - to all intents and purposes he'd completed the lot.

I don't recommend anyone attempt to equal this feat, however!
Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:26 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I played both Gothic (I & II) and Morrowind and I liked them all.
I was impressed by the world of Morrowind - wow, the world is huge, there are so many quests, the graphics is really good...
But after many hours of gameplay (possibly after 50 hours) the game began to be boring. I suppose it happened because of the world being too large and because of too many quests and too much nonlinearity.
Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:03 am
Breton_mage
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Morrowind is owning!:P

Hi all I'm new to this forum but not new to the game!
I havn't played morrowind for about 3/4 year now and that has a reason...
I played more then 500 hours of morrwind in less then a year! Serious i did almost all the quest got leader of almost every guild and i still liked it.
I still liked it because i had 1 account which was uber it was a wood elf with about lvl 65(couldn't get much higher) and i also made some new accounts. I still discovered things i didnt know about but when my last account(a breton! ) became too strong in lvl 40 with only magic skills(and mercantile) i kind off got bored. Because my mage could do anything! Can someone name me something that can be done without magic but not with magic? I discovered that being a mage really owns and i had the best race. I used levitation potions to see the whole world and when i got everything on the map colored i started a new account.
I believe i made an imperial or wood elf but i still know 1 thing for sure:
It's a good trick that when you get bored you make rules for yourself, I used: never use magic, never travel with silt strider never steal(unless for a quest) and never use those damn money tricks which always gave me endless money.

With that i felt like i was starting the game being a noob! i was just wandering around the land freelandcing in the area between suran and ald' ruhn which is the same as i did when i just started the game. But even that becam boring after a while so i decided to stop for a year or something and then start over again.

I don't think I will start over again becaus oblivion is coming and i'm really looking forward to that.

If anyone who is still a bit nooby or u just need help with a quest wants to earn gold or VERY good ways to increase magic skills mail to reitnjuh112@hotmail.com i will surely mail u back!
Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:57 am