New man / Turn Based Rpgs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

New man / Turn Based Rpgs

Hello all....I'm new to the board. Ok, so I'm a bit noob and all...but I do like CRPG's...what??! You don't belive me??! Ok, how about I name some games that I have playd, ok? Let see..Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2...the training level at Deus Ex and parts of the first level. Ok, so I suck at fps...

Well..on with the question:

Does anyonw know about a great turn-based rpg out there (I mean, besides from Fallout 1 & 2) ? I have read a bit around the board and it does'nt seem like ToEE is a good game...right now I'm playing Arcanum (starting for the third time) I'm only at the big city...eh..something with T....and Virgil and I got to this shop of those gues that made the ring...P...and son and something....but it's just....oh...lest just face it....

It's just not Fallout....*buuuhuu*

...sorry...

Is there hope?
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:55 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Welcome to the boards.

There haven't been many turn-based releases in recent years but if you're prepared to play some old classics there's quite a long list.

In recent times ToEE is actually an excellent game if you appreciate the combat engine - I had a great time with it but the story telling and roleplay is weak. If you don't mind old graphics (and I do mean *old*), indie developer Spiderweb has the excellent Geneforge series. Not really a RPG but Silent Storm has a great turn-based engine but it's really a strategy game with RPG elements.

Arcanum is a great game if you stick with it. You're in Tarant chasing P. Schyler & Sons - the story is fantastic if you see it through but I agree it is slow to start.
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:07 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

ToEE can be fun, especially in Ironman mode but, as Dhruin said, the roleplaying and story is weak.

If it's the combat you're looking for then Age of Wonders might be right for you. It's not an rpg, it's a turn based strategy game, but it has some rpg elements and a great story. It's my personal favorite turn based strategy game.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:21 am
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Sorry, no hope for good turn-based RPGs in the Futere (or for good RPGs generally).
You can try to get the old Realms of Arkania Series from Abandonware-Sites (ahh these were the Days ...) or Dark Sun Pt 1; Pt. 2 is very buggy.

Jagged Alliance is a good turn-based Strategie-Game with lots of RPG-Elements.

EDIT: And avoid Pool of Radiance II like the Plaque that it is !
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:58 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Wizardry 8. Nuff sed.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:28 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I agree with dte that Wiz8 is a great TB game. Anachronox is TB and lots of fun. Have you played Might and Magic? KOTOR might also work for you. I'm hopeless at FPS too. And, welcome to the boards.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:39 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Try Neverwinter Nights.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:46 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Wiz 8 is greta RPG with turn-based battles.
However I also likde TOEE...
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:21 am
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thank you everyone.

I have played Neverwinter Nights a bit, and it did'nt feel turn-based, it felt more like a simple hack'n slash Diablo game. I also tried a demo of Wizardry8, and it was ok. But I felt sometimes I lost the "overview". Maybe I just feel more comfotable with a top down or isometric view. Another thing I liked about the Fallout games was that you can chose to attack parts of your opponents body, like the arm, head, legs and so on. And the hex-based maps and stuff. Should probebly take Korplem's advice and start playing turn-based srategy games, or just install Chessmaster 8000 again.

The problem is that a bit older games (like Jagged Aliance 1 & 2) and others are a bit hard to find here in Norway.(I could always download JA1 from the underdogs site)

corwin: I got Might & Magic VII but I never figurd out much and I died the moment I met monsters on that first island. Besides, I was playing Baldur's Gate at the time. (plus I prefer isometric/top-view )

I have also looked around on The Underdogs site www.the-underdogs.com , but I always end up deliting things because they either don't work or I do not at all understand them. But thanks anyway

Oh, by the way, does anyone know if there is a way to cure stats in Arcanum. On of my stats has gone red and lost one point. I think it was poisen from either a trap or a moster...? (should probebly hear at the Arcanum forum..)
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:17 am
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Check your Equiqment. IIRC some Items have drawbacks (Helmets i.e. offer Protection but sometimes lower your Perception Attribut).
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:26 pm
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Why download JA1? Just get JA2 Wildfire. It just came out, so I guess it'll be easy to find.
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:27 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

As usual I rocmmend ToEE. And JA2 has aimed shots. Also you can get a pretty decent tb, isometric, party crpg from zero-sum called Prelude to Darkness.

I am playing genforge 2 right now and it is really fun. If you don't mind the dated graphics from old games on the underdog, then you won't mind the graphics in genforge 1 or 2 (1 is a great game also).

Lionheart is not a good game, but it uses fallout's special system in RT. I had a good time till I got out of barcellona. If you can get it in a bargain bin then I would pick it up.

PoR2 is not a good game, but you can get it for 5 dollars and apply the speed hack to it. Then it becomes allright and well worth $5-10 dollars.

Acranum's combat is horrible. But the story is good and on the whole the game is worth playing. I don't know why the put the biggest city right in the begining. I had a hell of a time getting through it.

But you can try out ToEE by demo for free to see if you like the combat. And if you want to you cab rent it for $5 dollars for 3 days off of Yahoo games on demand.

But if you are looking for another fallout, good luck. Even fallout 3 had RT combat. Stupid RT combat.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:42 am
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Arcanum is probably the closest to Fallout, but the game can be quite difficult or insanely easy depending on how you play it. It's a better choice compared to TToE which is not at all like Fallout IMHO. Btw, it's cheaper too.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:09 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

He all ready has Arcanum. And Arcanum would not be a better choice if he was looking for a good tactical combat game. Arcanum's combat is horrible. ToEE's is lacking in the areas Arcanum is good at, and excels in the areas Arcanum sucks at.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:02 pm