View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
shidgoose
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

'lag' problem

Hey there,

I just started playing Gothic 2 again, since I never finished it last time. I'm having lots of fun and it's all running fine, better then last time because now I have an AMD Athlon 2800+ and a Radeon 9800.

But now I ran into an odd problem. My parents are seperated, and I was playing this game at my dad's house and it ran fine, then I moved to my mom's place, took my computer, and tried to play Gothic 2... But for some reason now the game 'lags'. My character runs around, and every now and then (seems like every 5 second) the game slows down for a sec and then resumes as normal. Being the perfectionist that I am I reallyreallyreally cant stand it, but I cant fix it either. Even when I run the game @ 800x600x16 with low details, it still does it. Anyone have an idea what may cause this problem? Mind you, it all ran great before.

Me is sad
Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:54 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Its almost impossible to troubleshoot something like that without more information.

You should post as much info about what your doing when it happens. e.g. are you in a certain type of area (Forest, City etc), are you doing specific things each time (Casting Spells etc).

Also post info about what your computer is doing during the slowdown. e.g. is the hard drive being accessed heavily.

You should also list everything you have done to your PC since Gothic worked perfectly. e.g.

Driver updates.
New programs installed/uninstalled.
Windows updates installed.
New hardware installed.
Patches applied.

Once you get some more info hopefuly it will give someone enough insight to help you out...
Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:52 pm
shidgoose
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Allright I'll give some more info then, even though there isnt much to say.

Basicly, it happens al the time. Currently I'm running around at the road from the Monastery/Tavern to Onar's Farm, trying to become a Fire Mage. It's just something that happens every 5 seconds. Whether that is running, fighting, or stepping in bed. I never had it before, even when in the city jumping around like I was on crack.

In the meantime since I last played I havent done much, apart from detaching my whole PC, hooking it up, and trying to play Gothic 2. Maybe you should know that now my computer is also hooked to the internet again, while before it wasn't.... But I already tried disabling my connection. Also I tried to repair the game, uninstalled/reinstalled it, and downgrade my Direct X to the one suplied by the game.

I can't really see whether my hard drive is being acces a lot since my indicator lights dont work (sorry ). But I allready tried installing it to a different drive with more free space. Nothing works.

I hope I've given enough information now. Thanks in advance.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:02 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

You should open up the task manager and go to the processes tab. Sort the processes via CPU usage (By clicking the CPU column name) and then keep an eye on that for a few minutes. If you see one of the processes suddenly jump to the top of the list with a similar frequency as the slowdowns in Gothic, then thats most likely the cause.

You could have a virus causing the slowdowns, but I doubt it since most viruses dont use enough CPU time to cause a noticeable difference.

If you cant find anything that way, and you say that you have already disconnected your internet connection and it still does it, then I am afraid I have no idea what the problem is.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:14 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I had little bug at G2 but i got used to it. There was a 0.000001 second stop every two steps.
Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:31 pm
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

Try updating the graphic drivers. It may be because of that even though I don't know why it worked fine before you moved the computer.

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:32 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

It was so little i didnt even notice it missing when i installed the latest drivers.
Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:01 am