lil question bout my mods
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
InSaNe
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

lil question bout my mods

hey... i removed my windows and i reinstalled windows again, though thats not really the prob

my morrowind had some mods installed and i didnt like some of them but i DID use them (example, if there were players added, i let them follow me or somethin)

NOW i want to remove those i didnt like.. will this affect my morrowind in any way? more stutters? crashes? plz respond (ps. my savegames has these mods in it)

edit:if this DOES affect my MW plz tell me how to fix it? tnx
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:51 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Once saved into a game, a mod cannot be reversed, save by creating a 'counter-mod' that specifically deletes the undesired aspects.
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:39 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

To my best knowledge, this isn't true. You CAN unload most mods, except those changing system functions (those, for example, that change the speed of leveling and things like that). For the rest of the mods, you can do the following: Go inside a house, and save. Then quit the game and unload the mods you don't like. Load the game again, go outside the house and save again. You might get some errors while loading, but ignore them. This way, you can, for example, remove houses and things like that.
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:49 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Since I'm not going to reinstall the game to find out, I'd try his way before despairing...
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:20 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Post-Plugin Effects

(Disclaimer: the following is conjecture - it is not based on fact. However, I believe this to be true based on what I've seen and how I would implement something like this! )

Saved games are a bit like plugins - what they do is store the differences between the master data (morrowind.esm and tribunal.esm) and the current situation. They're loaded in slightly different ways, but they're probably almost exactly the same structure internally.

Your saved games get bigger over time because they store all these differences, and over time the number of differences increases. If the master data mentions a sword at a particular location but you've never touched that sword, then your saved game file will not mention this sword - there's no need, there's nothing different about it.

However, if you have interacted with that sword, the save game file must now include information about what's happened to it - whether it's been moved three feet, whether you're carrying it, or whether Ra'Virr the Trader now has it hanging on his wall.

Plugins are the same - depending on the effect of the plugin and your interactions with it, the plugin's effects may outlast the removal of said plugin.

If a plugin creates a sword stuck in a rock in the wilderness and you've never touched it, then that effect will disappear after the plugin goes. However, if you picked up that sword and are now carrying it, or have sold it to the highest bidder, that effect will remain. The information in the plugin is overridden by the information in the save game file. If the plugin creates a house in Seyda Neen, that house will disappear with the plugin - there's no reason for a save game to store information about statics. However, items you may have left in that house may disappear as well - there's no longer a valid interior for them to exist in.

As for stutters and crashes, I think it's unlikely. The master/plugin/save game system seems to be very well written - it's resilient and self-healing! The system complains about things going wrong on load, but if you save and reload things will have sorted themselves out. Marvellous!

Hope this helps!
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:12 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

cfmdobbie is exactly right... theoretically, no plugin should negatively affect a saved game when it is removed, aside from all the plugin objects disappearing. But the first time you load the save without the plugin, you will get an error message for every object the plugin adds or changes that you have interacted with. Unfortunately, when the number of these errors gets too large (for instance, in the case of mods that add monsters throughout Vvardenfell and you've fought a lot of them, leaving corpses, capturing souls in gems and so on) you will sometimes find that your game crashes before loading after a few dozen error messages...

That's the exception, not the rule, though. And even in these cases I've found that I can usually retrieve an earlier save with the same character. So feel free to try it. You can always put the plugin back if you have problems.
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:41 am
InSaNe
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

tnx guys
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:19 pm