The Scariest part of Morrowind!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The Scariest part of Morrowind!

It isn't the dungeons or the monsters; I haven't even seen them yet.

No the Scariest part is waiting for it to arrive in stores here and wondering whether it will run on my computer or not.

I’m fairly confidant; I have a Dell 8200, P4 1.8, with 512 Meg of DDR ram and a Geforce Ti 200 video card. I sprang for a 21” Trinitron monitor as well so I’m really looking forward to the graphics in this game.

Someone mentioned Ultima 9 in one of the other posts; I was one of the first to rush out and buy that too. I only finished playing it recently, after getting my new computer. It just wouldn’t run well enough to play on my old one.

I’ve been told by the folks at Best Buy that it will probably be in on Monday so I have to sweat it all weekend. Boy will I breathe a sigh of relief when I hit that mouse button and see it rolling across my screen.

Mike
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:49 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

What I heard, you should at least have a Geforce 3!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:56 pm
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yeah that's what I have, missed that one.
I have a Geforce 3 Ti 200.

I've looked at a lot of forums and the results that people are getting are rather mixed.

Some people with high end machines are complaining and other people with lower specs are happy.

That's the scary part you never really know until you try it. I have had programs that just wouldn’t run; in fact I just had problems with a graphic arts program that I couldn’t get to load this week. I would get an out of memory message every time I tried to start it.

Now the problem was… get this… I had too much memory!
In order to get it to run I had to lower my swap file settings to 768 Megs.
If it wasn’t for forums like this I never would have figured it out.

I hope my messages next week will be “about how well it runs”, and not the “what can I do about this” kind.

Mike
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:07 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Okay, then you should be able to run it smooth! But i don't know, i have not even seen anyone play the game since its not released in Sweden.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:10 pm
Mereel77
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My system:
733Mhz P3
256 RDRAM
32mb GeForce 2 GTS

I will soon be upgrading to 933 Mhz P3 and 512 RDRAM, the limit of my mohterboard without buying a GeForce 4, which I can't afford. Anyway, I'm not worried at all, I'll just turn the graphics down and enjoy the GAMEPLAY.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:25 pm

Re: The Scariest part of Morrowind!

quote:
Originally posted by Hawthorne
I’m fairly confidant; I have a Dell 8200, P4 1.8, with 512 Meg of DDR ram and a Geforce Ti 200 video card. I sprang for a 21” Trinitron monitor as well so I’m really looking forward to the graphics in this game.

It'll run; if it doesn't, something needs to be tweaked on your machine. I would imagine you won't be able to set everything at max, but big deal (shadows, who needs 'em!).

If you are still concerned, spend some time surfing the web for tips on tweaking your OS and system to get maximum performance.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 8:03 pm

Sledgehammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey, relax guys. I am playing it now on an XP 1700+ 512DDR Geforce3 Ti200 Win2000 at 1024 x 768 and it is smooth. I was worried too, that it would be like Ultima 9, which was not only slow when it came out but also not optimised very well. Morrowind plays great if you have the right hardware. I run it with the view distance slider all the way up and shadows at low (not off). I've had no bugs in almost 20 hours of play. I am trying it on a second PC right now, an Athlon 950 with a GF2 GTS ans 256MB. I'll let you know what happens!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 8:19 pm
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Glad to hear it.

I just downloaded the latest Detonator Drivers form Nvidia, and defragged the partition that the game will be installed on as well as my C:\ partition.

Now I just have to wait it out until I can get it. It kills me to know that people are playing and I'm just sitting here.

Can anyone tell me where I can get information on over clocking my video card?
I've never done it before and don't really know what is involved.

Mike
Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:38 am
rhett
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think that, in response to the mized feelings, a small amount of people who love the game are posting (the rest are playing it) while all the people who have problems are posting. So this is why we are seeing alot more complaints than "This game is cool" threads.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:38 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I play the game in 1600x1200 on a 1200Mhz/GeForce 3...

Although its a bit jerky It doesnt really bother me. The game is great anyway.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat May 04, 2002 1:15 pm