View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
eric33
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Making the translation (help needed)

Hi

Some of my friends and family wanted GOTHIC 1 in french version because they do not understand one english word (yes, these people still exist ).

So last year i made the french translation of GOTHIC 1.
I made a program that extracts the strings from gothic.dat and ou.bin and make a text file. Then i translate the text file and my program rebuild the gothic.dat and ou.bin with the translated texts.

Works fine.

Because it seems GOTHIC 2 will not be in french and my friends ask for the french version, i will do the same for GOTHIC 2.

1) FOR GOTHIC TEAM (PLEASEEEEEEE RESPOND).
I had a little problem with GOTHIC 1. After looking to the GOTHIC 2 files, i will have the same.
With gothic.dat file, translation sentences can be shorter or longer, it works fine.
But with ou.bin, i was just able to make the string the exact length as the original string.
With shorter translated string, it is not important by padding spaces but i was not able to make longer translated string. This make the translation sometimes difficult and not very fine.
I saw that in ou.bin a byte juste before each string is the length of the string but even by changing this, it does not work. The program crash on start.
(Note : making the string the exact length, all works fine).

So the question :
Can you tell me how i can change the string size in ou.bin ?
(i think it must not be very complicated. BTW i am developper so you can go with technical stuff).

2) FOR ANYBODY WHO WANTS HELP
I am searching people speaking french wanting to help me translating the GOTHIC 2.
I verify just yesterday and there are approx. 20000 lines (short or long). (GOTHIC 1 was 15000 and i made it alone).
I think that 10 or 15 persons is sufficient. Working 1/2 hour or 1 hour a day will result to a complete translation in one or two weeks.

There is not money in this affair. Person who helps make it for free.
Of course the translation will be available (and for free) for anybody wanting it (i think a lot of person waits for the french version).

So if you want help, reply to this topic with your email address. I will then contact everybody to organize the stuff.
To be able to make the translation, you must speak french perfectly (normal) and have played the game completly (it is far better to make a good translation).

3) ABOUT GOTHIC 1 FRENCH TRANSLATION
Maybe you will ask if you can have the french files for G1.
Yes you can but the problem is that i lost one of the files (ou.bin) and i am currently remaking it.
Will be available approx. in august. Remember it is not perfect because of point (1) but it is very good i think. Several persons play it in french and were able to make the whole game without problems.

Thanks for your attention
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:57 am
KhenoTrax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I chose french in scholl and i did not understand a bit of it the only thing i understand of french is un parly french something like that and i don't think that would be sufficient to help sorry BTW i think it means i speak french

Me Kill Hero Paladin
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:18 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

but the idea is good if some other estonian ppl would join me i would transffer it into estonian language
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:30 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

noble concept good luck with it
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:16 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

My French is barely adequate, learned from high school 21 years ago, but not fluent. I can maybe help you with point 1)

***But with ou.bin, i was just able to make the string the exact length as the original string.
With shorter translated string, it is not important by padding spaces but i was not able to make longer translated string. This make the translation sometimes difficult and not very fine. ***

I ran into a 'similar' problem in my G2text MOD (fixed German diary entires into English). A great little MOD that several people here has tested good.

I used UltraEdit32 text editor, open the file, then selected ASCII format and it would put the longer text in, move the whole file length longer if there is not enough space padding. Sometimes, if too much length; I had a crash. Give a sentence in OU.bin and I will change it. Or if you already have knowledge how to do it; try that UltraEdit32 Text editor (free 45 day trial). I had some success with it.

Annoyance by the 'Dragon Fire' text entry in stats screen B when it should just really be plain 'Fire' protection for armor rating. It protects against all fire spells, not just fire from a dragon. Bon Chance.
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:41 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

PB should make a mod creator then we have something to do while waiting the 3 part
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:47 pm
liquid
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
PB should make a mod creator then we have something to do while waiting the 3 part

there will be no MOD-KIT for gothic 2 this has been discused in the jowood forum and NicoDe from PB wrote:

Here the translation:

At least it is definite, that there will be no MOD-KIT available for Gothic II,
because we simply haven`t got the time therefore (documentation, data preparation etc. would take us too much time away). It is also not sure, that we can make the new developer-tools available (and if we do, then they will only work with the current engine-version (so only with the ADDON)).

"In darkness we are born, in darkness we will die."

"Piranhas are watching you. Piranhas are crunching your boots. Well, swim home to mommy!"
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:43 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

That is true. Each version of the patch and engine, or the add-on will make the current editor tool absolete. I can still edit in data, but the position within the file has changed. It can be done by hand for each version.

It is that they are not against someone writing a tool for editing, just that they do not have the time to do it. G2 engine and format is somewhat more complicated than G1. But still, there is no reason that if the community wants to spend the time and effort to make a tool, we can. The tool will only be good for each game version.

Not realy that big of a deal to update the tool. The firt N00b friendly tool Editor will allow you to adjust the stats of everything that is a constant in game, with a friendly windows GUI. It can be done by hand easy enough if I showed you where to look and how to do it, and have some basic hex editor skill. Later maybe a script editor tool to add in new custom quest and extra monsters and behavior would really be cool.

My biggest aim is to make the game harder and remove exploits in game for infinite money, random lockpick combinations do you must learn the skill better (instead of reloading game), the fine to pay for a commited crime from 50 gold to 100 gold at least (50 gold is too little for commiting serious crimes). And other cheese exploits. There are some ways to still make money forever, but the pay back rate will take time (1 gold per exploit will take some time to pay off that 100 gold fine!).
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:18 pm
liquid
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712

.... random lockpick combinations do you must learn the skill better (instead of reloading game

this can already be changed in the gothic.ini so you dont have to make it

"In darkness we are born, in darkness we will die."

"Piranhas are watching you. Piranhas are crunching your boots. Well, swim home to mommy!"
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:23 pm
eric33
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Please translation here

Please this post is about finding someones to help making the french translation. It is not about any mod creator ...

Again i have made a tool to export bin file in to text file and the reverse.
if you intend to help me make the translation then you will need to tools like an hexa editor. I will give you all the required stuff.

About G1, the (again) FR translation is neard to be ended.

GOTHIC TEAM ! Please tell me how to make longer string in ou.bin file (think it is the last time i ask, but who knows).
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:35 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hmm look up Xerxes explained a little bit about this allready if u didnt notice
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:59 am
eric33
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Must be a way

I am sure it must be a way to be able to make lengther strings in ou.bin
As i said there is the length of the string just before but changing it is not sufficient.

But must be a ways ? Will search it ...

Again nobody to help making the french translation ...
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:41 am