Members
Usergroups
Mount & Blade (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
isidat

A great game

I was playing computer games since my childhood but i had never seen such an excellent game. There are a lot of unique features that any game has. I recommend everyone this game just for trying. Be careful you may be addictive if you play much.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:46 pm

Bopoxdren
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

While the game world in Mount & Blade is certainly not fleshed out... yet, the combat is quite good. The closest thing to the coolness of Gothic style combat I've seen. Mounted combat is nothing short of exilarating. It's quite hard and not the least bit fustrating. But I've got to tell you that it is sheer joy to take on some bandits on foot from your mount, taking them out one at a time with a combination of archery and sword play while making frantic galloping passes. It's very hard combat and you really need skill, patience and PRACTICE. It's also one of the most frustrating games I have ever played but that has everything to do with just how good and demanding it is. But, believe me, the rewards of victory are well worth the pain.
You want frustrating: how about this: you once again encounter a group of 6 or 7 bandits on foot. Of course, this being the main quest in the beginning, you've encountered this type of group many times already and got your ass kicked every time. Buy now you've got a little practice and a little experience (I mean as the computer player, not the xp of the character) under your belt and you've got to the point where you can slowly and methodically take them down one by one. With full speed galloping passbys - like a WW2 boom and zoom fighter pilot - focusing and concentrating with fierce determination; sweating and working with everything you've got you are down to one last man standing. The sheer rapture of victory starts to spread through your body like a wave of adrenaline. Only one scummy bandit away from glorious victory... Finally! Then all of a sudden, as you gain speed on your final deadly pass you see that one last bandit, arrows still sticking out of him by some of your previous passes, plants his foot firmly, winds back like Tom Sever in the bottom of the 9th and hurls a perfectly aimed stone from 30 yards which magically bashes you squarely in the noggin and knocks you unconcious off your mount. Game over. You fucked up. You forgot to block with your shield, you idiot. Left for dead and with one hell of a headach, you arise later to find all your possessions gone... including your damned horse!

This is the kind of thing that happens in Mount & Blade... and I'm lovin' it!

Hope some of you out there try it and let us know what you think. Later...
Post Tue May 03, 2005 3:01 am
inquisitor toth

this game is awesome

This game is awesome.
Its BRILLIANT in combat when you go past a corpse and see your own arrow poking out of his eye or inbetween his eyes and knowing it was YOU who did that
its ACE when you come upon a battle between a caravan and a band of mountain bandits and you join in and then glouriously slaughter the bandits

its BRILLACE when you earn 20000 denars from a lucrative salt trading deal and then buying a Big Shiny Well 'Ard Pointy Spiky Sword of Certain Death +3.
but its BRILLACESOME when you go into combat,solo against 20 bandits and win!!!
Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:26 pm

Gaidal Cain
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

yup.

This game is weird... very weird.

Let's state the facts here:

- M&B has 2 developers
- M&B has an awful graphics engine
- M&B has few NPCs who are worth something
- M&B has no budget at all
- M&B is a leisure, amateur project
- M&B has the single BEST COMBAT SYSTEM TO DATE!!!

YES, people. How can it BE that all those incredibly big companies with billions of income and hundreds of employees in dozens of countries cannot make mounted combat work at all, much less in a satisfying fashion... While two Turkish amateurs without a budget and an outdated graphics engine pull it off brilliantly?

I do not get it.

The game is realism to boot. If you get hit with one axe to the head, you die.
If you take your horse into a river to get to some bandits, your horse has to slow down and you will likely die.
If your horse is hamstringed, it will be useless in combat.
No magic at all in this game
All kinds of cool realistic weapons and armor in this game

Why doesn't anyone make a game like Mount and blade with good graphics, a well-made world and some good political currents?

Give me this and I will scratch you off my hitlist until I feel I'm ready for a sequel.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:40 am

I've been plaiyng this game for ... six month . And now I'm ADICTED to it . I got to be late when going to meet my girlfriend, stay up all night to get a new armor etc . PLEASE HELP ME
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:35 am

Sir Dragos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Bopoxdren
You want frustrating: how about this: you once again encounter a group of 6 or 7 bandits on foot. Of course, this being the main quest in the beginning, you've encountered this type of group many times already and got your ass kicked every time. Buy now you've got a little practice and a little experience (I mean as the computer player, not the xp of the character) under your belt and you've got to the point where you can slowly and methodically take them down one by one. With full speed galloping passbys focusing and concentrating with fierce determination; sweating and working with everything you've got you are down to one last man standing. The sheer rapture of victory starts to spread through your body like a wave of adrenaline. Only one scummy bandit away from glorious victory... Finally! Then all of a sudden, as you gain speed on your final deadly pass you see that one last bandit, arrows still sticking out of him by some of your previous passes, plants his foot firmly, winds back like Tom Sever in the bottom of the 9th and hurls a perfectly aimed stone from 30 yards which magically bashes you squarely in the noggin and knocks you unconcious off your mount. Game over. You fucked up. You forgot to block with your shield, you idiot. Left for dead and with one hell of a headach, you arise later to find all your possessions gone... including your damned horse!

This is the kind of thing that happens in Mount & Blade... and I'm lovin' it!

Hope some of you out there try it and let us know what you think. Later...

Yeah , this kind of thing happens offen . That is if you don't take your time in the arena lvl-ing up and getting rich (to buy better armor , weapons and horses ) . I had once a 24 peasants party and at the end of the battle i've got 8 of them dead and 12 KO . That happened against 8 river pirates .
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:10 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Downloading it now, looks great!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:53 am
Harms

No Regrets

I have no regrets paying for passing level 6, they really deserve it for making such a fine combat system - lets just hope for some multiplayer in an expansion package, once the game itself is done.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:32 am

piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yep, I've chipped in too. What's there already is worth the current asking price, and I'd decided that before I'd even left the first town (on the strength of the tournaments alone). It may be flawed/underdeveloped in some ways, but the thrill of pelting towards an enemy with lance couched or high-speed mounted sword fights is like nothing else - nor is felling a charging lancer with a two-handed sword and a well-timed sidestep. There's stuff in this game that made me grin like an idiot in my first hour of play and that is rare these days. Those USPs that make the marketing chaps go weak at the knees? I can count the last decade's games that genuinely had them on the fingers of one hand, and Mount & Blade is among them. But still I bet no major publisher would go near this. Well, good luck to the guys, I hope their funding plan works for them.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:04 pm
Aryndil

I just butchered 33 Mountain Pirates with my full Black Armour and two-handed Heavy Great Axe(42c) all by me onesies. Only two people made the game you says? I'm impressed. Sorry, There's some 48 Swadian patrollers begging for a piece of me, can't have them waiting
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:57 pm

I'm giving it a try as well. So far it seems like it has a lot of potential. The only thing I'm having a hard time dealing with is how slow your character moves. They really should have included both walking and running speeds.
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:02 am

JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I'm giving it a try as well. So far it seems like it has a lot of potential. The only thing I'm having a hard time dealing with is how slow your character moves. They really should have included both walking and running speeds.

Oops, I forgot to log in for that last post.
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:05 am
karnaugh
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have enjoyed Mount & Blade for countless hours and its combat is brilliant. I have a couple of comments for beginners though.

Don't get turned off by the training in the beginning - it's a bit tedious, but you need it.

Don't get turned off by the lame horse in the beginning - get a better one.

I have seen people comment that they tried M&B and thought it was too difficult but it gets VERY rewarding after the first hour or so.

I just hope they'll be able to add a gripping plan and a world as backdrop, because now combat is pretty much all there is.
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:41 pm
DamnThievingHobo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just paid for the serial for this game after playing the demo for a couple of hours, the combat in this game is a real winner i gotta say. There is also a decent modding community it would seem http://forums.taleworlds.net/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=b943eb0799ddd77e4bb7bcd916b0db2d
One of the better mods allows you to increase the size of the battles to a hundred or so combatants.
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:50 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I tried the demo of .730. I liked it overall but I think I will wait till they get closer to the first full release. I was a little concerned how the gameplay was more like a MMORPG (ala level treadmill) than a single player RPG.
Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:59 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next