View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
swordsaint
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

do I need to retire?

Hi all,

Sorry to bother you guys with this pityfull request for help (I admit) but I'm kinda lost.
After playing BG I,II, ToB, IWD I, HoW, II, NWN, Divine Divinity I can't seem to find anything anymore that lives up to the glory of these games.
Already i felt that NWN was a step or two in the wrong direction.
Ok I'm haven't played PS-Tormant yet because I can't find an original version and OK, we all have different taste but can you tell me
which game I missed is up to the mainly BlackIsle experience I had the chance to experience?

thanks

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:59 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

I felt the same way about alot of newer games from the last few years. I wouldn't give up just yet because there seems to be a move back to more strategic gaming with stuff like Temple of Elemental Evil. All signs point to a game that isn't dumbed down to hack n' slash levels just to maintain the action.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:15 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I'd say either wait for and try Temple of Elemental Evil, or go for Fallout series, or try and switch to some other type of RPGs. I can name 5 major RPG "streams":

- The Elder Scrolls series (Arena, Daggerfall - both old games and Morrowind with 2 expansions). Morrowind is definitely very good game.
- Might and Magic series (6, 7 and 8 are very fine classic CRPGs)
- Wizardry series (Wiz7 or WizGold is still quite enjoyable today, Wiz8 is good and Wizards and Warriors is great but a bit...specific and buggy)
- Gothic series - don't play Gothic, sorry.
- Ultima series - don't like it, but funny enough it is still there

Might and Magic is closest to D&D role system. Elder Scrolls is very open-ended. Wizardry games are old-school and somewhat hack'n'slash, but great.

Consider reading reviews, and giving a try to a game or two. World does not end with Infinity / Aurora. There are many great games out there.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:17 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You haven't played Fallout?!?!
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:03 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Swordsaint, as you've played mainly Infinity Engine games with D&D rules, with the exception of Divinity, you have probably built up certain expectations, and developed nostalgic feelings for them. Maybe you should really try different RPGs for a change, and don't try to expect anything from them. Let yourself be engulfed by their own charm, without interference from other games you know and loved. My personal recommendation would be Gothic and Gothic 2, although I have to admit that they are my favorites.

Or, if you feel totally lost, try taking a break and play a few games from a totally different genre, or none at all for a while. It certainly helps if you start a game fresh and without any preconceptions.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:20 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Arhiel
Or, if you feel totally lost, try taking a break and play a few games from a totally different genre, or none at all for a while. It certainly helps if you start a game fresh and without any preconceptions.

Very good advice indeed. I had to do it myself half a year ago. I finished IWD for N-time , I was fed up with Morrowind and I didn't want to go with Divinity just yet. So what I did was taking another book and hanging around on the counrtside. It helped

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:51 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

Another "traditional" rpg player eh?

Well, if all you want is tons of stats and strategic combat, the only games that you will likely want are TToEE and fallout + the second part.
Although if you like crpgs in general, you might want to try the Elder scrolls series, the gothic series and maybe even the might and magic series (OLD!)
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:52 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Don't forget Arx. If you want somethig a little different with an RPG type of game, try System Shock (1&2) and Deus Ex. Summoner is OK, as is Anachronox, but they are quite different from IE games. You might also consider Arcanum.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:59 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Swordsaint,

Been there...and still am to some degree...dont retire.......hang on in as been suggested already.

To start with, if you havent played Fallout 1 & 2, well, you are missing something there...go get them both, now available on budget as a two-some...

Grab the Lionheart demo from a mag or download.........I have only just got this myself so reserve judgement myself...

Get another genre interest (if you havent already)....I switch between RPG and RTS mostly, with a few FPS games for a quick fix....anger management etc;

Quite a few posts exist about upcoming games, but they always seem to be upcoming (!?) and not quite here.

I rang GAME today to see if Lionheart was out (no...next week) and they said that Republic the Revolution was out....that seems interesting...have to dig out my back-issues to get perspective.....

A game that I am really enjoying at the mo is Vice City (PC)....not an RPG, but not all FPS either.

Out of all suggestions, I would go get Fallout 1 & 2...that should keep ya going well into xmas at least..

Happy gaming,

Hexmaster
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:44 pm
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well your first step should be to get hold of a copy of Planescape: Torment, because it's better than all the games you listed. Surely you can order it online or something. Sell your soul if you need to, but for god's sake PLAY IT!

Other than that, I would recommend Morrowind, Fallout 1 & 2, Ultima 7 & 8 (if you're willing to put up with very dated graphics). If you can stand the wait, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic should also offer a gameplay experience similar to BG when the PC version is released later this year.
Post Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:42 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Everyone has made good recommendations about existing games so I'll address future ones. There's lots of (potentially) good RPG's in the pipeline so to stop playing them would be to miss some great games!

Greyhawk: ToEE is now due Sept 23rd - just around the corner...it should go gold any day with a bit of luck. This really should be everything you want (provided you aren't too hung up on Black Isle's pause-play).

If you liked Divinity, Riftwar is due late this year or early next year. It aims to improve nearly everthing that could have been better in Divinity (and then there's Divinity 2 in the long run).

Star Wars: KotOR has had unbelievable reviews on the Xbox and will be along for PC soon.

For true old-school, Devil Whiskey will have a demo on Sept 7th (Bard's Tale revisited).

There's some exciting hybrids just around the corner (Deus Ex2, Thief 3) and more down the road: Xenus, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, VtM Bloodlines, Black9.

Then there's the small Russian and European developers: Goldenland, Restricted Area, The Bloody Magic - more than I can poke a stick at.

In the really long run, Black Isle will have Fallout 3 and ex-Black Isle -staffed studios Obsidian and InXile will probably have interesting things. InXile have acquired rights to Bard's Tale and Wasteland...one assumes they intend to use them!

I'll close off 'cause no-one's read this far, anyway.
Post Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:11 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I didn't see BG: ToTSC lined up there.

Also, you missed the Fallouts? Well... no biggie, you didn't miss much. Same as with most of those so-called old-school games.

Lionheart was recently released, and it's WAY better than "games" like Fallout, Gothic and the Wizardry series. But other than that, there haven't been any major RPGs released to PC yet this year. I guess you could give NWN: Shadows of undrentide a shot if you really like NWN.
Post Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:55 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy

Lionheart was recently released, and it's WAY better than "games" like Fallout, Gothic and the Wizardry series. But other than that, there haven't been any major RPGs released to PC yet this year. I guess you could give NWN: Shadows of undrentide a shot if you really like NWN.

You are just waiting to be flamed aren't you?
You may think that lionheart is better than other games but me and many others sure don't, it's basically is just a stupid alternate history diablo clone IMO.
No major rpg's released this year? how about Gothic 2?
You can't just say that a game is way better than other games because you like it more as it basically shows that you don't give a damn about what other people think and that you think that you are always right.
Post Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:12 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
I didn't see BG: ToTSC lined up there.

Good point. Original BG was more interesting indeed with ToSC installed.

quote:
Also, you missed the Fallouts? Well... no biggie, you didn't miss much. Same as with most of those so-called old-school games.

I don't agree. Fallout is definitely a good game. Anyway, I think swordsaint here should give it a try or at least go through several reviews on the net.

quote:
Lionheart was recently released, and it's WAY better than "games" like Fallout, Gothic and the Wizardry series.

Well, don't agree again. Lionheart is a fine game, but it has its minuses. One of them was already mentioned - hack'n'slash oriented gameplay. Story and setting fall short to those of Fallout. I cannot protect Gothic, as I don't play it myself, but do not touch Wizardries They may be old school and all, but they do have the most original role-playing system out there with most races/classes ever and amazing character development. Story is pretty good, too.

Post Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:52 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I think my recommendations would line up pretty closely with stanthony's earlier post. I favor RPGs that emphasize character development, so Wiz8, M&M6 and M&M7 (M&M9, the most recent release in that series, is AWFUL) are near the top of my lists.

The Fallouts (1 and 2, not the recent "Fallout Tactics") were wonderful RPGs. Probably some of the best combinations of RPG elements ever. They didn't have the best story (that honor goes to Planescape:Torment), but they were very good. They didn't have the best character development (Wiz8 gets that one), but they were very good. They didn't have the best graphics, action, or freedom, but all three were very good. Well, graphics were very good for their time... You average it all out, and you get an excellent total package.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:12 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next