Usergroups
what would you change in Kotor 2 from Kotor 1
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

@MoonDragon, the (non main-screen) interfaces are terrible! I'm not confident Obsidian is going to overhaul them from some of the comments they've made but it's early days.

@Darrius Cole, I have mixed feelings about the lightsabres but I can accept that point. What about plain ol' swords or vibroblades? I had vibroblades from Tarris that weren't surpassed by blasters until at least the mid point. Despite taking appropriate ranged feats and pumping Dex, I still found swords more effective and, of course, the ranged feats were wasted when I got the lightsabre. Throw in energy shields and swords are much more effective (particularly early in the game). I'm not a Star Wars lore expert but a plain sword beating blasters seems silly to me -- and it's certainly not balanced for a computer game even if it fits Star Wars lore.

Given that it was such a pain switching weapons because of interface, it makes sense to go melee unless you're very patient with roleplaying a blaster character. At least the weapon-switching is one thing Obsidian is addressing.

@txa1265, no problem.
Post Wed May 19, 2004 10:49 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Dhruin
You are right about the plain swords and vibroblade being more effective for most characters. I had melee weapons that were more effective than blasters even at the end of the game. That is not consistent with the Star Wars lore that I have seen/read.

I think the game designers were trying to force us to make characters be either ranged fighters or melee fighters. Even though Obsidian is installing a rapid weapon switch key, it won't make much of a difference unless your character is a soldier or a gaurdian. No other character type has enough feats to use both ranged and melee weapons effectively.
Post Wed May 19, 2004 11:12 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Few more pet peeves:

- My main man is supposed to be the biggest badass in the galaxy. He runs like a girl. What's up with that?
- When some in-game choice has no direct bearing on me, I want a mandatory third dialog option: "I don't care, you guys sort it out."
- Serious rethink of dark/light point assignments. Few times I got some dark points when I actually expected to get light (is my mind really that twisted?) and possibly vice versa. Also, many choices that seemed to warrant giving either dark or light points did not.
- Major oversights in the story should be avoided (e.g. being fed the story that Jedi value life over all else, even if it's life of their worst enemy, after I just slaughtered 800 Sith soldiers to get to here).

Explanation:

Dhruin, somewhere (possibly a description for a short sword), there was an explanation for why melee weapons are so popular. With the advent of personal energy shields, blasters were almost antiquated. So you need a good melee weapon that is non-energy to cut through the shield. This is why a lot of effort and research has been put into making good melee weapons, I presume.

Some dev's review of KotR2, from E3:
This sequel to one of my favorite games is not being developed by Bioware. The demo I played was fine, but for some bizarre reason the new developer apparently decided that Bioware's gorgeous UI design was too beautiful, and they've replaced it with something that looks really ugly. The functionality is the same, and they've added a couple cool new features (like hot-swappable equipment configurations so you can flip between your melee combat gear and your ranged combat gear), but the actual UI graphic elements were a big step down.
Post Thu May 20, 2004 3:57 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
- Major oversights in the story should be avoided (e.g. being fed the story that Jedi value life over all else, even if it's life of their worst enemy, after I just slaughtered 800 Sith soldiers to get to here).

Cannon fodder doesn't count.
Post Thu May 20, 2004 5:14 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Full mouse support. I like a drag and drop inventory and paper doll type equipment page, not these inventories where you have to scroll through items. I also agree with those who suggested a Y axis.
Post Sat May 22, 2004 6:52 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2