Members
Usergroups
RPGDot Feature: Gothic 2 - The Night of the Raven Review
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

RPGDot Feature: Gothic 2 - The Night of the Raven Review

After there is still no sign of the English version of the Gothic 2 add on Night of the Raven, we just took the German version for our <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=927">review</a>:<blockquote><em>Many details in Khorinis have been changed. At least one place has been completely redesigned, empty areas have been occupied by bandits, new NPCs have been added and old NPCs have more dialogs or more quests. Several things you may remember as unimportant are now story relevant... the price on your head and the stone circles, to name just a few.</em></blockquote>Read on for teh rating. We also have put a handful of new screens into the review...
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:40 pm
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

I wish they would at least release a UK version of the expansion
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:41 pm
bora
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I begin to worry about this Add-on. My Polish publisher CD-Projekt, normally rather reliable company, stopped giving any information about it. There is no Night of Raven in their publishing schedule. I asked twice and received only wait until further notice. So I`m worried.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:26 pm
hammermd23
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

At this point, I'm hoping for a fan patch...hopefully some bilingual programming type can swap out the German text files for English ones...the voice-overs could just stay German...

Any takers? 'Cause I don't think this expansion will ever see the light of day in the US. I know I'd be willing to import the German version if there were a fan-made English mod patch...
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:43 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I sat on my ass for over 6 months waiting for the English add-on. if they would be so kind to tell us a definite yes or no; I could have had a translation made by now if negative.

I am afraid people are going to lose interest. If the translation was done way back when -you get the point.

I am not bilingual, so it takes me a few months (and help from people) to do it with a hex editor one letter at a time. I make perfect replacement files. BTY HornOx has some program that does a really nice translation job with minimal clean up effort; he could help alot in this area.

This is such a good add-on, I would think it is silly not to publish a 'Gold' Edition in English which consist of Raven + G2. It adds so much to the game, it can justify the cost and would sell great with a little decent advertisment internationally.

English, for good or bad, is pretty much the international language of the New World Order.
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:20 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I checked out the German Gold Edition with the original G2 plus Raven add-on is only 29 EUR (about 35 USD) to buy. Slap on the English Text MOD and viola! You set to go. Thankfully they included subtitles for the game.

Some text is found in books and maybe in other files than just the one. I would need to get it and check it out.

I do not see any hope for an English release, too bad -really cool game.

The worst thing is that Amazon.de charges half for the game (16 EUR!) to ship to USA!

I believe it is much lower cost to ship to Europe proper, UK and other English speaking EU.
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:04 am

The lack of recognition of the Gothic series makes me despair for humanity.
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:06 am

Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

It's so sad how this is going. Just think about all the gamers that already have lost there interest. I wish they just gives us a date or something, this is just so stupid.

Btw, the review is so cool. But that makes it only more sad that we still don't know anything about the xpack
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:47 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
I could have had a translation made by now if negative.
What makes you think the translation is not over yet? I mean, let's concentrate on the official info - the last known information about the English addon, as I recall it, is that the voice recordings are being made in London. This makes me think the addon is finished by now, and is awaiting shipment. But, I could be wrong...

Btw, Edith says the review is nice. A little bit straightforward, but nice.
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:43 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

I really want to play this expansion.

BUT.... (and I say this with all due respect to the series)

With as long as it took to bring Gothic II over to America, the original version should have been distributed with the expansion when it was first released.
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:21 am
Parmenion

Add on

Who cares about the add on anymore they obviously are not going to release an English version - Gothic doesnt desreve to do well - they dont look after their customers - I for one will not be buying gothic 3.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:43 am

Telemachos

Nice review - but now I really wants to be able to play it

If just Atari would say *something* my problems would actually be over. I live in Denmark and can speak/understand german well enough to play the german version if I really have to (I actually played both G1 and G2 in german because I couldn't wait for the english version).

However, I have later re-played G1 in english and I must admit that it was a better experience for me.. there *was* some details I missed in the german version and as a general rule I wasn't patient enough to read all the books etc in german. Therefore it would suck major arse if I finally decided to order a german version of NoTR - only to see the english version hit the stores a week later. Argh, damnit - say something Atari
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:04 am