Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Story Driven First-Person RPG's
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread

I apologize if this has been asked here before, but...

I'm looking for a good Single-player, First-person, story-driven, RPG with turn based combat. I've played the Wizardry 8 demo and it is fun to play, but I'm looking for a bit more story. I enjoy the tactical turn-based combat of Wizardry 8 and the game brings back some GREAT memories, but I'd like to do a bit more than just kill.

I've played CRPG's for years going back to TEXT-ONLY RPG's on the TRS-80 Model I.

I've been away from CRPGs for a while, but I'd like to find one that will draw me back in.

Thanks!
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 9:16 pm

HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

rpgs based on a good story are:

Planescape Torment
Betrayal At Krondor
Baldurs Gate 2
Arcanum
Fallout 1+2
Gothic
Ultima 5-7
Evil Islands

Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 10:43 pm
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

so you were a moria nerd too?

Do you like those old games like Dark Queen of Krynn, and thatfirst person mazelike crap?

Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 9:16 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-01-12 16:43, HiddenX wrote:
rpgs based on a good story are:

Arcanum

Maybe it's just me; but Arcanum bored me to death. It was like eating peas, I just can't get into it.
Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 2:05 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

the combat is too easy and boring after a while, but the story, the party members, the quests and npcs are interesting in my opinion. there are many sidequests with a lot of humor, a lot of conversation and some tough riddles. all a rpg needs.

Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 11:12 pm

Bah... if you find combat easy and boring in Arcanum, you must have wussed out and been a fighter or a mage.

Try being a sickly scientist! AH HAH! You're dead! The entire time!

I like Arcanum. The setting is fantastic. I've incorporated it into my D20 roleplaying game and my players love it. But the game is so geared towards magic use that it's almost impossible to NOT use it.

Almost. With great patience, many reloads, and an autmaton or three you can win as any type of character.

But a Mage is set to kill the game at level 15. Fighter at level 20. Technologist at about... oh... level 30 or so.

Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 1:37 pm

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Single player 1. person CRPG's with good story, and turnbased combat Hmmm

1. Might & Magic VI- VIII, Covers all demands if you like the stories.
2. Summoner Covers allmost all demands, except the 1. person view, however the viewpoint is close overhead (almost 1.person).
3. Return to krondor. Good, but very short!
4. Wizard and Warriors. Very good.
Torment, BG2, Arcanum are all 3rd person view games missing the immersive gameworld experience, and they all got realtime combat with the option to interrupt it for new commands. All however got complex stories, especially Torment is like reading a book (almost). It's a matter of taste, if you like the stories or not, but if you don't these last games get very hard to finish!
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:20 am