FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Monsters leveling?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Monsters leveling?

I read on the net in a review board, that someone who played MW said that when you level, monsters level with you???????? what is this nonsense???

meaning battles all feel the same.....

can anyone confirm or deny this???
Post Wed May 01, 2002 2:22 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

There is autoleveling. It is sure and there is no other way how to offer good gameplay in such free (you can go everywhere) RPG.
But I am not sure if every (quest) monsters are leveling.
Post Wed May 01, 2002 2:24 pm

hmm??

This is autoleveling? So when I'm level one, and I walk somewhere from the start of the game, I wont find any monsters that are too tough for my level?????

This makes no sense....
Post Wed May 01, 2002 2:30 pm

this person also said that you cant enjoy outdoors, because you are either fighting or going back to town..what does this mean

im purplexed by what was said, because the vital gameplay feature i thought was there is not .
Post Wed May 01, 2002 2:33 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Autoleveling doesnt mean that you can really go everywhere. There are still areas that are too difficult for you.
But generaly yes, many monsters are leveling according to you and you will have nice fights in beginning but also later (in same places).
Generaly it is necessary to make autoleveling if you are creating very nonlinear game where you will need to return to many places manytimes.

EDITED: but ofcourse I havnt seen this game yet. And Rendelius is probably only one here who did. Autoleveling can be good, but it also can be annoying (if you encounter hard battle, go somewhere else to level up a little bit and then return back and "Oh, creatures also leveled up a little bit", it can be really stupid).

Last edited by Danicek on Wed May 01, 2002 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed May 01, 2002 2:42 pm

interesting...

im hoping not all monsters are auto leveling(sp?) the lands transforms for your given level, its probably not 100% of the wilderness, hopefully.
Post Wed May 01, 2002 2:44 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, I also hope that not all monsters are leveling up.

To my opinion on autoleveling see edited part of my previous message.
Post Wed May 01, 2002 2:47 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I'm pretty sure that not all of the monsters auto level, and that some of them that do are allready a higher level than you when you start, so there'll still be a challenge to combat. plus some monsters should have level caps ( I think i got this off a developer FAQ)

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Wed May 01, 2002 4:29 pm

Paradocs

The Devs have said only some of the monsters "auto-level" ofcourse there are some monsters who will always be a lowly crab,rat etc and some who will always be no matter the PCs level a Demi-god-like Deadra or Ascended sleeper. no worrys.
Post Wed May 01, 2002 5:50 pm

This may be a little off topic, but there is one thing i'd like to see in a game like this. It would be interesting to go through an area at a lower level and have to battle a few creatures to make it through. Then, after you level some more and have got through some decent sized plot changes, go back and find that there are more bigger and badder mosters to battle, some World changes(more dead bodies, dead and leafless trees, dark, dreary and stormy), and just an overall overcast feel. This of course would go along with the plot, just like " the evil hordes of minions from whatever god-forsaken realm continue to advance in the more peaceful realms". It would probably be really tough to get it all working right, but I think in would make the world much more dynamic.
Post Wed May 01, 2002 6:31 pm

Somnus

Possibility...

Speaking from a coding point of view, they probably have made each monster have a scaleable difficulty level, that is proportionate to the player's level.
For example, if 'a rabbit' has a level range of 2 to 4 - when the player is lower than lvl 3, the rabbit will be 2, if the player is lvl 3, the rabbit will be too, and if the player is 3+ then the rabbit will be 4.
Needless to say, if the player is level 25 - the rabbit will still only be 4, and a very weak creature.
The same goes for 'a Daedra hardnut' except his level range is, for example, 40-50. You don't stand a chance until you're a similar level, but he'll still be a tough cookie when you're level 50+ as he's scaled up with you.

Anyways, that's the way a lot of rpg games handle the situation, and is a very good system. Hope it helps.

Somnus
Post Wed May 01, 2002 6:31 pm

HanshaSuro

Monster Leveling

I believe that the NPCs which level along with you are implemented within a range. They are given a minimum level and a maximum level and it is adjusted to be as close to yours as possible. So if you are level 1 and the NPC is implemented on a scale of 10-20, you're likely going to get hosed in combat. However, if you came to it later in the game when you are level 30, it won't have surpassed lvl 20 and you should be the one dishing out the pain. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only working off of the memories of something I've read.
Post Wed May 01, 2002 9:23 pm