Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Proper Sneak Skill For (Very) Early Thieves Quest?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Agent Cooper
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Proper Sneak Skill For (Very) Early Thieves Quest?

Shortly after joining the Theives Guild, you're assigned to get a key to the Nerano Manor in Belmora. Can either pickpocket the man inside the manor or persuade/bribe the manor's servant in the nearby pub.

Now, I'm a meek Nightblade, and have concentrated my training in the Sneak area (currently only have it up to around 30-40). However, I cannot pickpocket either The Manor Man or Unpersuaded Pub Man successfully.

Without killing these characters -- I'm trying to pull off the quest "legitimately" -- what Sneak skill does one need to pickpocket the manor key from either NPC?

Thanks in advance, of course.

--Coop
Post Mon May 27, 2002 3:04 am
some guy

I don't know much about thieving but I've tried this with only a 6 sneak skill:

1) Cast invisibility or chameleon (this improves your sneak chances)
2) Crouch (sneak) in front of the person
3) Wait until the sneak icon appears
4) Before it disappears, press spacebar

As far as I know, if the icon is on in the lower right hand corner, sneak is working. That's what it seems to me.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 4:07 am

Agent Cooper
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's interesting. I've used Moonshadow (invisibility) and creeped up on The Manor Man, with the sneak icon on. And still, he gets in a tizzy when I snatch his key.

Will try my much weaker Chamelon, but it's good to know it's possible to do with the Sneak skill I have now.

Now completing the first assassination -- that's a whole other kettle of fish.

--Coop
Post Mon May 27, 2002 4:14 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I would suggest you drink some potions to increase your personality then bribe the servant int he Council Club few times. After his disposition to you is 80+, you can talk him out of the key for 100 septims.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

There are some people that are more difficult to pickpocket than others out there... But I don'T think that only the sneak skill comes into play when pickpocketing. Your security skill does as well.

I have 100 in sneak, and I still got caught while trying to pickpocket the master of the Fighters Guild... My security skill is a little over 60. In my experience, if you are sneaking successfully (when you see the sneaking icon in the lower left corner of the screen) you have more chance of successfully pickpocketing, but pickpocketing is dependant on the security skill. I think, but could be off. But as I am at level 32 and still miss my pickpockets 4 times out of 10 while my sneak skill is at 100, I don'T see any other reason for it.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 5:40 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
...I am at level 32 and still miss my pickpockets 4 times out of 10 while my sneak skill is at 100, I don'T see any other reason for it.

Could this be where luck kicks in? What's your Luck at?

Also, invisibility should be good for one item snatch.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 6:28 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Actually you might have something there, good thinking! My luck is in the low 40's (44 I think) which actually might be the reason for such a low percentage of success.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 7:21 pm
Agent Cooper
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well something has to be missing as any combination of invis/chamelon/sneak still gets me caught, and my Level 4 character is up to 40 in Sneak and Agility.

If someone else managed to pull it off with a sneak of 6, it has to be dependent on another trait I don't know about. My security is low (20-30, I think), so that could be it. Or Luck or one of the 50 other skills my character is bad at.

Hrmph.

--Coop
Post Mon May 27, 2002 10:06 pm
Lawnmower
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Think original, guys!

Quick, easy, painless. Just bribe the servant with one or two offerings of ten gold. Nice profit (500 Drakes), zero risk.

Don't do drugs. Pick one and stick with it.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 2:05 am
Rob
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Stab em good! Reeeeal good!

well heres what i did , i wandered over to ye ol manor guy's place , crept up behind him and screamed OOGA BOOGA BOOGA! he ran out of the place screaming and dropped the key....

ok i made that up , but i just taunted the owner of the mansion , killed him , got the key , took all his stuff , and carried off EVERYTHING that wasent nailed down in his house. thats the benifit of killing him , but the downside if you kill him , is you wont get the little reward from sugar lips, but i say all the crap in that guy's house is like triple the gold suger lips gives you.

and i dont like to associate with those player-hater(PUN!) cammora tong.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 2:11 am
Agent Cooper
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, I think I've resigned myself to potioning up my Persuasion and bribe the servant. Or spend a ton of money on amping up my Security skill, which some claim is the real roll for pickpocketing.

Since I'm a Nightblade, the latter may be the better way to go, in the end.

Thanks again for the tips.

--Coop
Post Tue May 28, 2002 2:31 am
Cuular

Yet another way to get the key

Slap the guy down hand to hand, and then snatch the key and anything else you want from his home while he is knocked out. Just continue to hit him once with no weapon to re-knock him out when he comes after you. That way you can get the key, take everything from his home, AND get the reward from sugar lips.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 9:21 pm

Agent Cooper
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I trained up to about 30 Security and no go.

When I get back there, I guess I'll slap him silly.

--Coop
Post Tue May 28, 2002 10:01 pm