International marketing
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

International marketing

What do you think, will it be better this time? Has Jowood learned from their mistakes in the past? Are they going to release it at same time with the german version or do we have to wait six months like before?
I still remember the lack of gothic 2 previews outside german gaming magazines and websites. If you have been glancing through some of the well known gaming sites lately, you should allready know that each of them is writing about oblivion(which is a great game too), but almost none of them even mentions Gothic III.

In any case it'll be truly intresting to see how things will turn out.I hope Jowood will do it right this time.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:44 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I don't think it will be good this time, maybe better, but not good. Although Jowood tries to get a place on the international market, Germany will still be their main target. They have only limited resources to use, so they'll go for Germany first.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:27 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Gothic and international marketing is a contradiction of terms....kinda like military intelligence. We hope it exist, but are proved wrong time and time again.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:54 am
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You know I can say one thing, Gothic is a very popular game and it becomes more popular with time.
For ex. my friend didn't know about this game, and he was complaining that he has nothing to play with,so there was my contribution I gave him Gothic II, now every time I meet him he is talking about gothic i'm kind tired a little of this .But my point is that Gothic needs more pulicity.
But in my country it's a very popular game so I think this time ,the english version will come up with the german one or max after one month.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:52 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
Gothic and international marketing is a contradiction of terms....kinda like military intelligence. We hope it exist, but are proved wrong time and time again.

heheh a rather appropriate diction one could say.
Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:18 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well said Uriziel.

Also, yeah, Gothic grows in time, as almost everyone playing it becomes fans for life. I have yet to meet someone who played it and didn't like it. The fans gained are loyal to PB and will stick with them due to the quality of the games, hence their number of fans will keep increasing.

Very much like Blizzard when they started making games - unlike so many devs they release one high quality game after another, so the fans they get stay loyal to them.

I believe PB will, in time, have a high number of loyal fans due to this.

That doesn't change the fact that Gothic lacks serious marketing though, and could've been much bigger with the proper marketing.
Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:47 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Gothic 3 gets more publicity then Gothic 2 which had more publicity then Gothic 1.

-> Gothic 1: found the demo on a Flemmish (dutch -> but from Belgium) gamessite called 'spelletjesgarnaal.be' When I played this demo I just had to buy the full game and since I'm not fond of buying on sites now, you can guess what I was back then. I finally found an obscure place so I could get the full version of Gothic.(Bought it at a place which is only a hardware store now.)
For Gothic 2 there was some newsbits at a much larger gamessite called 'games.telenet.be' and the game came up in a number of magazines. I even saw an add at the movies.(Metropolis in Antwerp)
For Gothic 3 every newsbit of the website gets on 'games.telenet.be' and there are a few previews. They also call it a possible oblivion killer, but point at the disadvantage of comming out a bit later.(it's better to come out either 6 months or at the same time, instead of 1 month.) They also praise the game for its own character.
NFG member
Post Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:25 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I forget how i found out about Gothic i think i was on gamespot browsing the rpg section under pc games and saw it i looked at the screens and was thinking it doesnt look very good i played the demo after 2 mins deleted it and wasnt gonna play it again.

But then i tried it again and played it for real and couldnt stop but i dont know this game was no where to be found then in futureshop there was one copy just sitting there lol and i dont think i ever saw any gothic 2 copies either
Post Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:31 pm