How could fighting be better?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

How could fighting be better?

"There it is, a Dragon, ATTACK!!" You've targeted it, and used your quick key for attack and your done. Now sit back and watch and hope you live. How boring.

Why not have the option to have to fight. When you enter attack mode, the certain attack you have selected, you (the real person) have to preform.

Attack at level one could be simple, take for example, level one there could be an attack action of Slash and to preform Slash it would take the keystrocks of Left, then Down, in under an alloted amount of time. At higher level you get more attacks and if completed properly do more damage, but of course are more difficult to preform. Level 5 you have Slash and Double Slash, to do Double Slash, you would have to key, say, Left, Down, Left, Down in under a certain amout of time to be scored as correctly completing the attack. If Double Slash is too difficult to do, revert back to a previous level simpler attack.

This keeps it fair for eveyone and finally keeps those 13 year olds who keep claiming 3L33t, or whatever, just becasue they have the 40 free hours a weeks to play more than the rest of us, so if you can key in Left, Down, Up, Right, Left, Down and sussesfully complete Roundhouse Double Slash at level 10 and that 13 year old whom is level 25 is still stuck on Slash, we can finally L33t his ass.

Well I have a million other, "unique" ideas for MMORPG's that I would love to see implamented that I think would help enhance the game overall.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:43 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

The problem with this idea is lag.

My mind isn't working well tonite so I can't elaborate right now.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:36 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Provis has a point, even if he didn't elaborate on it I certainly can understand that lag would play a huge (and sometimes negative) role in your concept of battle.

I think right now (and that's just my opinion) DAoC has a good combat system. You need to use styles as a tank to do more damage, and at higher levels you attain style chains that you need to carefully coordinate to be able to pull, which make combat a little less "dull". It's still not perfect, but it's the best implementation out there in my opinion (although I never played EQ, so can't know if that ones better...)

Combat is the million dollar issue in MMORPG right now. It's always either dull or too simplistic. And I won't even try to make suggestions as to how to make it better because I just don'T have any ideas myself... I just hope that someday someone out there will pull it off
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:15 pm