Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Review @ Loaded Inc
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Review @ Loaded Inc

9.6/10 is the score for Oblivion in Loaded Inc's <a href="http://www.loadedinc.com/review.php?temp_view=review.php&id=684&action=part1" target="_blank">review</a>:<blockquote><em>The quests in Oblivion are very well thought out. There is not a lot of mindless walking around picking up items. On the contrary, there are a lot of tasks that are simple in nature, but they fit the story extremely well. They are also viewed as "below" some of the characters who are assigning them. A few are remarkably creative in their design, adding a nice change of pace just when you think you have seen everything.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:26 am

"The quests in Oblivion are very well thought out"

LOL

Every quest is generic and boring you go to some boring cave wich all look the same slash threw a few floors of enemies make it to the bottom then pick up an item a notebook or item and return it to the person basicly every quest this game has the most boring generic quests i've ever played in a game.

I really wish some one would rate oblivion using common sence Beth really needs to stop paying people to give it near perfect ratings when this crap doesnt deserve any where near it more like 6.9 out of 10..
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:29 am

Father Omally

For their sins shall be exposed for all to see!

Loaded Inc's! Foul den of decievers! Dost thou sinners of iniquity and transgressors of all that is truly rpg not knowest that thee raggedy cat is out of thee bag of Bethesda advertising falsehoods yet? Wallet get thee behind me while i plungeth this holy stake of truth into this vile vampire of uttermost greed!
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:07 am

ikbenrichard

Re: For their sins shall be exposed for all to see!

quote:
Originally posted by Father Omally
Loaded Inc's! Foul den of decievers! Dost thou sinners of iniquity and transgressors of all that is truly rpg not knowest that thee raggedy cat is out of thee bag of Bethesda advertising falsehoods yet? Wallet get thee behind me while i plungeth this holy stake of truth into this vile vampire of uttermost greed!

wow, shakespeare the 2nd .
well OB is a good game and yet not perfect, but hee mankind is never satisfied not even with perfection.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:43 am

.Twinfalls

Re: For their sins shall be exposed for all to see!

quote:
Originally posted by Father Omally

Verily, Father, thou art a hoot! I urge thee find thy flock amongst the good Codex, for though their mouths issue bile, their links be goatsed, and they are wont to cudgel the dumbfucke, their hearts are but pure.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:31 pm

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Oh NOES Its teh Codex invasion of Uber skillz Oblivi0n H8ters LOL LOL LOL !!!!111111!!

Listen...
I agree the score is a bit high - but to say all quests are boring is a bit much. Has anyone done the Burma Countess quest? Its excellent. How about the Vampire Cure?

The main quest has some great moments but overall it suffers from excessive hand holding and quite a bit of repetitiveness. Try some side quests. I've only done maybe 10 side quests - but in general they have much less handholding. There are mods to remove the quest markers on the map. If you could remove the idiotic "now you should do this..." type of messages that pop in your face it would be a great mod.

None of these faults make the game a 6.9 though. I'd give it an 85 or so.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:00 pm

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
Oh NOES Its teh Codex invasion of Uber skillz Oblivi0n H8ters LOL LOL LOL !!!!111111!!

Listen...
I agree the score is a bit high - but to say all quests are boring is a bit much. Has anyone done the Burma Countess quest? Its excellent. How about the Vampire Cure?

The main quest has some great moments but overall it suffers from excessive hand holding and quite a bit of repetitiveness. Try some side quests. I've only done maybe 10 side quests - but in general they have much less handholding. There are mods to remove the quest markers on the map. If you could remove the idiotic "now you should do this..." type of messages that pop in your face it would be a great mod.

None of these faults make the game a 6.9 though. I'd give it an 85 or so.

I think there is a mod that gets rid of the quest messages. Go search the mod forum. I have the mod bookmarked on my computer at home. I'll post the link wheni get home.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:13 pm

Carpathic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've gotta say. my only regret with oblivion so far is that my computer isn't good enough to play it. Perhaps someday...until then, I'll read the reviews and drool..*please don't spoil my fantasy....*
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:20 pm

Oblivion hype

I think some of the perfect scores and close to perfect scores are a herd effect. Since the game was so hyped up too, then the reviewers in turn make ridiculous scores and the rest follow in a human herd. But there are real reviews out there I have read, check Amazon.com. Yes there are many "10" scores but also some balanced and "hated it" reviews too. For my part, after reading extensively different reviews, I have decided the game is not for me.

But sometimes it also makes you wonder when all the "professional" game sites and reviewers praise a particular game to the moon, like maybe they are consiously or unconsciously protecting their turf or livlihood, cause it might have bad repercussions for them or their industry otherwise if a game that is supposed to be a blockbuster is not all it is cracked up to be.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:10 pm

Dajjer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've been quite surprised that many of the quests have a very diverse flavor. Thus far my favorite is the one where you have to go into a painting to retrieve the missing painter. And then the game world changes to a painting similar to the movie What dreams May Come.

I also like the quest where you had to help the lady who had pet rats in her basement. And another interesting one was when you go to an inn and when you go to sleep you are kidnapped and sorta have to save yourself.

One rather sad one I had was a farm house overrun by goblins. I had to help the farm-boy brothers because the father was too old to fight. Unfortunately I was never able to conquer that quest and one of the brothers died in battle. The way the surviving brother starred at the ground where his dead brother lay, after the battle was over was quite touching.

I do wish the game would have kept the House intrigue but maybe that will happen in one of the expansions.
Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:01 am