Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
A satisfying ending, but... (spoilers, spoilers, spoilers)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Locutus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

A satisfying ending, but... (spoilers, spoilers, spoilers)

I just finished the game for the first time. I thought it was a satisfying ending and it set up some plots for Gothic 3:
1) Lee pays the king a visit
2) Xardas will be a bad guy.

I have a question about the conversation with the undead dragon. It went something like this:

player: Who are you?
dragon: you know who I am.
player: That's impossible. Xardas always said...
dragon: Xardas is a fool...blah blah blah.

After killing the dragon, there's a cut scene in which Xardas gets the dragon's power and says he is actually a follower of Beliar. Fine, but what's all that other stuff mean?

What's impossible? What did Xardas always say?

Thanks.
Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:30 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I didn't hear xardas say anything...

anyway the dragon is the chosen of beliar just like you are of innos, but both of you still have free will.....

so basically xardas sent you off after the dragon for his own goals, not because he cared about the evil.

and an necromancer serving beliar god of evil?? no way that can't be true
Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:52 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

With the aid of nameless hero Xardas obtained the powers of the undead dragon, and now he is the chosen of Beliar. I think undead dragon was somewhat chained and didn't really have free will.Afteral the dragon was Beliar's creation,

Now the situation is a whole different.As we know Xardas has obtained huge amoint of power and is a bit unsure how to use them. The most intresting question is: how will he use his new-found powers, and how will Beliar himself take a stand to this situation. In my opinion Xardas "stole" those powers from undead dragon. Beliar didn't really choose him the same way that he chose the undead dragon,
Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:14 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Xardas has plans, but you are wrong if you think they are evil. He is the only person that understands power and how it can corrupt. Has Xardas ever lied to you....sure he did. Has Xardas ever used you to gain more power?.......sure he has. Has Xardas ever tried to hurt you......nope. Has Xardas ever tried to hurt anyone????.....nope. Think about it retards..you handed Uriziel to Xardas and he not only gave it back, he made it active again. He could have activated it and cleared out all of G1. He might be old, but he ain't stupid.

In G2, what crime has he committed? he steals the undead dragons power, but has he harmed you? Did he piss on your legs and make you like it? Of course not. If he was evil he would have killed you instantly at the end of G2......you are a bunch of ungrateful bastards. He showed you how to banish the Sleeper, he has guided you through two sequels, and he is protecting the realm from massive power. So what if he took the power for himself.....what has he ever done to you? He built a tower overnight, or his "friends" did.....so what? Beliar can not win.....you are the chosen one. Xardas is collecting power to help you. The more power HE has, the less power Beliar has because he will not use it against you...........pay attention :p

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:45 am
Jedi Knight
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yes Xardas did help us kill the sleeper and the dragon but
did you ask yourself why?
Its simple
all because Xardas had to kill the sleeper to call the army of darkness
and used the player for his first step in his evil plan
why didn't Xardas kill the player?
its because he couldn't kill the dragon and the sleeper he had to use the chosen of innos. he used us.
after Xardas got the power of the undead dragon he can start his evil plan.

For me Xardas is a hungry for power evil necromancer
that wants to conquer the world and and i hate him because he used me all the time. If I meet Xardas again in ghotic 3 I will kill him and wont help him this time.
Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:27 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

don't you think you are overeacting Uriziel? first off xardas told us that since he found out about hte sleeper he tried to get the sleeper's powers too, but it didn't work because the sleeper put xardas well to sleep in g1, he wanted power then and he wants it now, he's not serving beliar at least not directly but he does want power for himself if you get in his way I'll kill you without a second thought....., also why work hard at defeating the sleeper or the dragon when you can just put the chosen of innos on their tail?
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:07 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

One of the things I love about the Gothic story arc is the fact that Xardas' motives and intentions are nebulous. He is a mentor, a confidant -- but does he really have your best interest in mind?

Gothic is as much about Xardas as it is about the "hero". I find the relationship between these two fascinating.

So what do I think? I do not think Xardas is "evil". Instead, I will say that he is indifferent, selfish even. He will use you or anyone as long as it serves his desire to study the black arts.

He wants "power" but not because he can use it. Its the journey to obtaning this power that he is interested in. He is observing the magic of Beliar from a detached, clinical standpoint. And now that he has the ultimate power, I think he is a bit conflicted on what to do with it.
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:15 am
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

The dragon said: I'm your papi
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:31 am
Rithe
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

What I find interesting is that Xardas is the chosen of Beliar in the same vein as you are the chosen of Innos. Innos is the god of good, fire, light (something like that), while Beliar is the opposite. You do anything that you need to in G1 and G2 to finish the job, whether that be become a thief and steal everything in site, or be virtuous and help people out. You don't really even follow Innos at all. You aren't a true Paladin, or Fire Mage in either game. They worship Innos. You don't. You just have a job to do, and you will complete it in any way possible.
I think Xardas is the same way. There is something that he wants to do, but we don't know what it is. Could he be evil? Yes. But remember, he is the chosen of Beliar in the same way that we are the chosen of Innos. Beliar doesn't care how Xardas gets things done, as long as he gets the final product. For all he cared, Xardas could become a Fire Mage.
Ok, that's my $.02
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:21 pm