Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
good fantasy novels with actual endings?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
fuddy duddy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

good fantasy novels with actual endings?

It seems that the trend is for fantasy books to come in a series as a moneymaking machine for publishers--and I don't mind a good fantasy series as long as each book has some sort of satisfying resolution, and not leave the reader totally hanging. I can understand some loose threads for sequels, but I can't stand it when books just stop with "then they looked toward the east, wondering what they would do next" or some such garbage.

So here's my question:

Can you post either good standalone fantasy novels or good fantasy series with decent resolutions in each book?
Post Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:27 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson. Even though it contains ten books, each book is self-contained with its own ending. You can read any of the books in any order and enjoy them.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:21 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, the best standalone fantasy novel that I've read is Talion : Revenant.
Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:57 pm
Michikawa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana and Last Light of the Sun are both excellent stand-alone fantasy novels.
Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:17 am
fuddy duddy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the recommendations! I checked them out on Amazon, and they look good. Any others?
Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:35 am
Sly Boots
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm not nearly as steeped in fantasy literature as some other readers on the board, but I really enjoyed Mel Odom's The Rover. It was reminiscent of The Hobbit, but still a fresh, quick read. It does have a sequel I believe (not read it yet), but it's a good standalone book.
- Spinal Tap's Stonehenge
Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:44 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Try "The Rose Sea" by Stirling and Lisle. The humor was quite enjoyable:

Amourgin stared at the god the spirit had found... The idol was formed
of some dull grey metal; the subject was a priapic, round-cheeked statue
with a leering grin and vacant eyes ...
"He's Heinous."
"Yes, he is - but what does that have to do with me?"
"He's the *god* Heinous, you idiot..."
"Right, I'll wake him." He sighed. "How do I wake him?"
"You worship him..."
"Just what sort of worship does old Heinous prefer?"
"Candles, hymns, dancing girls, sacrifices... the usual sort of thing."
"No doubt. And here I am, not a candle or a dancing girl to my name --"
"SING... TO... HIM"
"O Heinous, O Heinous," sang Amourgin, improvising fast,
"How heinous is your name... "

*snickers* It's good old fantasy fluff done right.
Post Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:27 pm
Sly Boots
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That sounds like a good book, Val. I like fantasy that actually has some humor, and doesn't take itself too seriously. I read the first Terry Goodkind book, Wizard's First Rule, and it's so dang serious it's almost a joke (IMHO - my apologies to Goodkind fans out there!) If you read interviews with Goodkind, he thinks so highly of himself and his "literature". He's barely willing to acknowledge what he writes as being "fantasy," as though he's too embarressed to admit it. And I think that's why fantasy can get such a bad rap sometimes - but with good reason, I would say. I mean, if you're gonna resort to cliches of medieval faire and magic and damsels in distress, etc - not an inherently bad thing in and of itself - then you've gotta inject a good dosage of humor and humility if you want some respect.

Fantasy like Harry Potter is so brilliant because it fuses dark themes with great humor - plus a completely original world and darn good writing.
- Spinal Tap's Stonehenge
Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:18 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Dear Sly,

I don't mean to offend you, but Harry Potter is every bit unoriginal and has some of the blandest jokes around in fantasy. Moreover, the last is a little bit of controversy all by itself, since on many a place you may find an on going discussion whether HP is fantasy at all (or a kids' book as many regard it). Btw, I do enjoy the books, but you won't see me praising them that much.

While on the topic, and as it seems that you enjoy fantasy as well as a good laugh, I do recommend you reading the Thraxas series, which is by far excellent combining fantasy, the most ridiculous type humour you may ever read, and non the least, a good criminal story. As well as a cast of some of the most ridiculous type characters you will ever meet. You may find more info on the series here -> www.thraxas.com , non the least their availability in your country.

Continuing the subject, a must read for you is the Discworld series (though each book is more or less standalone, though there are several sub-series with mostly recurring characters, though most of the cast of the whole more than 30 books, counting only the major ones and not the merchandise ones, are interlooping and guest starring in them) by Terry Pratchett. A must read, in any case in which you like a good laugh with a fantasy touch. Though in the beginning it started out as a parody to popular fantasy cliches it has evolved far beyond that.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:38 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I like novels by Greg Keyes. Imaginative writer, who's good and maybe given some time, may become great. The first novel I read by him was The Waterborn followed by its sequel The Blackgod. Yep, that's all there is to it. Fast moving story in two books. His background as an anthropologist helps make the peoples and cultures of the books come alive. More so than in other fantasy books. (Cough, cough, David Eddings, Robert Jordan, etc. where "different" cultures are variations on the same theme).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345403932/002-0322455-7212046?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345418808/002-0322455-7212046?v=glance&n=283155&%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:26 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

David Eddings did a single-shot a while back:
"The Redemption of Althalus"
Can't go wrong with an Eddings book.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:50 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

you can buy the great book of amber by Roger Zelazny it's actully 10 books but it comes in one , and it cost about 10 $.
there's all the old Harper books from the Forgotten Realms each of them is stand alone.
each of the books in song&sword(by Elaine Cunningham) are also stand alone there's 5 of them but each of them is contained.
and you can always fall back on the old and reliable the princess bride by S.Morgenstern. the book is way better then the movie, and I wouldn't have thought was possible before reading it
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:05 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'll second dteowner's suggestion. "The Redemption of Althalus" is a great read.
My favorite Roger Zelazny book was Forever After. It answers the question of what happens after "happily ever after".
Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:34 pm
DamnThievingHobo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Try Glen Cooks Black Company series, the ending is very fitting.
If you dont mind a good space opera try the Deathstalker series this is very good, it doesnt take itself to seriously and can be rather funny.
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:05 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Can't go wrong with the Riftwar books by Raymond e feist (Magician, silverthorn, and a darkness at sethanon).

Each has it's own contained story but together they form on the best fantasy series written, must better than his later books. Very reminscient of the lord of the rings books(although more self contained), i.e. big battles, elves and dwarves, a few powerful mages.
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:56 am