The Chronicles of Spellborn: Within Temptation to Write Musi
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Inauro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Chronicles of Spellborn: Within Temptation to Write Musi

Dutch rock band Within Temptation has teamed up with the Chronicles of Spellborn crew to produce music for the forthcoming game. Here's the official word.<blockquote><em>The Hague, The Netherlands, February 8, 2006 Dutch rock sensation Within Temptation and game developer Spellborn NV announced a groundbreaking new partnership today. <br> <br>Within Temptation will be providing exclusive songs to be featured in the worldwide in-game introduction events surrounding the release of the upcoming online PC game The Chronicles of Spellborn. This is the first time in history a platinum-selling rock band and the developers of a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game have announced such collaboration, marking a new era in the fusion of the arts of music and making games. <br> <br>Within Temptation’s guitarist Robert Westerholt says: “Almost all of the band members are fanatic gamers. At home and on tour we play fantasy-orientated games to relax and sometimes even to get new inspiration. When we heard about The Chronicles of Spellborn and the fact that it was developed in The Netherlands, we were eager to contribute and write some exclusive tracks. Further collaboration beyond these tracks will be announced soon.” <br> <br>Spellborn NV’s Marketing Manager Barry Hoffman adds: “Many of our game developers listen to Within Temptation’s music. Their music has added a whole new immersive dimension to our fantasy world. When the chance came to collaborate to this extent, we were extremely enthusiastic. Gamers have always listened to a lot of atmospheric music while playing whatever type of game. It was an obvious choice to want to work with a band that is capable of providing such a haunting and beautiful feel. This kind of collaboration is an example of true synergy between the music and game development industries.”</em></blockquote>For further details of the partnership click <a href="http://www.thechroniclesofspellborn.com/news/?id=230" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:35 pm
Wildefire
General Goods Vendor
General Goods Vendor

I generally don't like modern sounding music in fantasy/sci-fi games or films (imagine Star Wars with a 70's era wa-ka-chi-ka-wa-ka-chi-ka soundtrack), but I'm kinda stoked about this. Within Temptation, while capable of rocking quite hard, have a real orchestral flair, and I'm eager to hear what they've done for this game.
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:39 pm
Vidder
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

vid

yeah, but its an online-RPG. <yawn>
What a wasted effort!
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:42 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I've become somewhat of an enthusiast of European gothic/symphonic metal, since it's mostly what I listen to now these days after being initially spellbound myself by the band Tristania. Within Temptation have went from a sort of run of the mill beauty/beast type goth metal act to full blown symphonic metal. Theyve kicked the demonic voice thing to the curb tho starting at "Mother Earth" cd, which for me is a negative, since Im a B&B fanatic and just love that style of mixed male and female vocal interchange, they just arent as heavy as they used to be. But I still like them even tho theyve went a little more Nightwishy, all bands change over time. Until they pull a metallica or something on me, I'll be fine with their stylistic fluctuations.

In their current incarnation as total symphonic (i wouldnt call them "rock" tho as the article does), I think they are a great pick for this project, and I hope it affords them the exposure they deserve, as this style of music would really blow alot of people away if they just gave it a chance. Put down the Limp Biskit crap already and try out something that's really heavy and original!

As for your concern that you dont so much want "modern" music in games, Wildefire, I think that WT has kinda went the "cultural" route that bands such as Leaves Eyes have. Thus, youll hear alot of flutes and what not, Celtic type of foresty music, etc. I dont think theyll disappoint.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:27 pm