Usergroups
Anyone played Anachronox?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Spoonman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What do you think about the sbj if you have played it?

What do you think the Ion Storm Dallas will do after they are disbanded?

Post Mon Jul 09, 2001 6:26 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I got the game last week, and so far I have enjoyed it. There is too many bugs for me to recommend it anyone else, but it is an enjoyable RPG. A lot of good things, but a few bad things that could undermine the whole undertaking.

Its a pity that Tom Hall and his fellow developers are always gonna be compared to Daikatana as they deserve better.
Post Mon Jul 09, 2001 7:48 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Have you applied the patch? And the bugs are still there? Phew...

Post Tue Jul 10, 2001 2:52 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Yes, I installed the patch along with the game. It worked fine until I reached a point where the supposed cut scene would not happen, and I could not get any further.

I think the graphics are very good, but at times very ropy. The heads look hideous, like Teletubbies on acid. The sound is dreadful, but that is proberly because the last game I played was BG2. The majority of NPCs have no sound at all, and it reminded me a lot of FF7. The quests are very hard to keep track off, and there seems to be a lot of pointless going back and forth, similar to BG.

On the other hand, the game is very epic in feel. I like the setting, and it makes a nice change from the normal D+D setting. Its like a mix between Bladerunner, the Nomad Soul and FF. Atmosphere is one of the most important things in a RPG, and this game has it in abundance. The humor can be a bit forced at times, but is on the whole successful. The part system is refreshing, as no one decides to ( a la BG ) wander off directly in the path of a Dragon. Combat is a rip off of FF, and can be a bit dull at times.

Again, I am not too far into the game, and have to get the cut scene to activate, but I have to say that it is a welcome addition to the RPG family. Its not ground breaking, but contains a lot of fun and makes a diverting change from the D+D setting.
Post Tue Jul 10, 2001 12:33 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I have not played the game myself, but your comments about having the trouble with the cut scenes caught my eye. I guess all the references to BG didn't hurt either. But in BG whenever I hit a cut scene it would drop me back to windows after it played for a second. This was due to having a VIA chipset motherboard, and setting the IOQ level to 4 instead of 1. You get a huge increase in performance for setting it to 4, but for BG in all the cut scenes it would crash. They also took the option out to select your IOQ size in my motherboards latest bios, so I had to use WPCREdit to change it. I think that is the name of the program.
Post Thu Jul 12, 2001 3:50 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Haven't played the game yet, it's still not arrived to Denmark!
But I've heard that John romero and his team was fired? /has left Ion-storm, Rumours say maybe because of the Daikatana flop.

Actually Anachronox arrived today, yahoo!

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2001-07-20 02:52 ]
Post Fri Jul 20, 2001 7:49 am