Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
WoW Surpasses 2-Million Subscriber Mark!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

WoW Surpasses 2-Million Subscriber Mark!

Blizzard has <a href="http://www.blizzard.com/press/050614-2million.shtml" target="_blank">announced</a> that 'World of Warcraft' has now surpassed the two million subscriber mark (worldwide) due to the game's release in China. <br>We just found this announcement on Battle.net but also thanks to Jakob from <a href="http://www.boomtown.net" target="_blank">Boomtown</a> for making us aware of this story a little earlier today (was at work then though and didn't have time to post )... here's a snip:<blockquote><em>Blizzard Entertainment® today announced that World of Warcraft®, the company's highly acclaimed subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), has surpassed two million paying subscribers worldwide*. As the game's worldwide population continues to grow, so does the game itself: Blizzard recently introduced the highly anticipated player-vs.-player (PvP) Honor System and the game's first two Battlegrounds, Alterac Valley and Warsong Gulch. These new PvP battlefields offer a variety of fast-paced combat and some of the most valuable rewards yet seen in the game.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:32 pm

The story is incorrect. Wow surpassed the 2 millon mark independant of the China release. Any China subcribers will be in addition to the 2 millon.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:34 pm

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

I just read the whole press release again and actually that is not quite correct either. In fact, it looks like I am still "right-er" than you are . The press release says: "Blizzard expects to see the new mark of two million subscribers shattered quickly with the arrival of players from China in the coming weeks." ... so this means that they don't have 2 million yet but expect to surpass 2 million any day now (within a few weeks).

There is no indication that the game has surpassed or would have ever surpassed 2 million subscribers independent of the China release. The China release is the driving factor behind surpassing 2 million according to Blizzard so I'll only change the newsbit slightly (on the frontpage... the forum post, i.e. this comments thread will not auto-update accordingly due to technical limitations).
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:16 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Ah, I see where the confusion is/was coming from now . Vivendi and Blizzard have issued different press releases. There are two versions of it out there(!) - We linked to the one at Blizzard and the one from Vivendi (including a passage that does indeed talk about 2 million subscribers independent of the China release) can be found here. Oh well, they got a shitload of subscribers either way .
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:33 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yeah, but WoW is going down anyway. Just ask the experts, it's doomed ='.'=

any day now...
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:08 pm
Hedek
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Yeah, but WoW is going down anyway. Just ask the experts, it's doomed ='.'=

any day now...

Well if you want to think like this, everything is bound to go down, eventually. It could be in 2 months or 10 years. Some games take longer than others to "fall into oblivion". The question is whether at this point, no matter what happens next, WoW has been a commercial success in a sense that the investors has had their money back + a substantial margin. I'm not a WoW fan, I only played it for 2 months and don't play it anymore, but your above statement is rather a blank statement : it could be said of any mmorpg, anything. "Successfulness" is measured according to a "investment / money back" ratio, and from all signs, it seems WoW has this ratio on the positive side.

The "experts" you talk about could be me, someone who has played MMORPGs for many years, and who has followed during all that time the happenings, achievements and failures of many MMORPG developers, etc, someone who also thinks there are different categories of MMORPG philosophies, with WoW having a gameplay that rewards easily and quickly and therefore doesn't last long.
But the real "experts", those that really matter are the black tie ones who studied business and marketing, and who calculated that 2 milions of short term subscribers can be more profit-worthy than 200 thousand of long term subscribers. And obviously, from the sale numbers of EQ2 and WoW, the "experts" from Blizzard may have forseen well.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:18 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Hehe, I think that was sarcasm from Sam, Hedek. He was just making fun of the doom sayers who prefer to ignore the fact that WoW is getting more and more popular & successful instead of going south .
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:06 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yes, it was pure sarcasm ='.'=

Im just poking a little at all the people who are not so much predicting doom for WoW, but hoping above all, that it tanks. WoW shouldnt succeed, it shouldnt be good, darnit. It's gonna fail, isnt it?

I havent had high expectations for the success of the Matrix online, but I'm not wishing it doom, I hope it does well. I dont understand the desire to see WoW die, other than the usual big guy/little guy complex alot of people have, And the desire to look like the smartest person in the room. It's stories like this that must just really get their goat, we havent all quit to run off and play Guild Wars like we should.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:24 pm
Hedek
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ahem, err yes, of course, I was suspecting so ! errr... let's just say I took advantage of your post to say what I wanted to say
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:01 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

roqua1

I think its because wow offered something for everyone, and though under its hood it is very complex, on its surface it is very simple and eases the players into the learning curve gently. I think its strongest points are what makes it so popular: 1) direction: you never have to go out and grind aimlessly, you always have a clear direction and easy and fun and varied quests to do. 2) Soloability: you never have to group once on your way to lvl 60. Once at level 60 they trap you into having to do elite quests and raids for gear, you can pvp but without the good stuff you are behind the power curve. This is what made me quit (along with the piss poor and hostile attitude of their boards). Blizzard had the balls and gumption to admit a lot of people don't want to group in online games. A lot of people don't have the time to stand in IF looking for a non-retarded group that can actually do something then plan on having no interruptions for the next 4 hours to do it.

Any other mmorpg that just has assinine quests, no direction, and no true viable solo option will never compare to wow (until you cap out). The nay sayers I think are people that don't like that model. And plus wow seems to be a good fit in the asian market since it is made to be able to log on, bang out some quests, and log off. You don't need a whole day set aside to do anything.

Thats just my two cents.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:03 pm
soulknight6
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

MMORPG: From: Soulknight

WoW is a very good game, and I agree it does fall short in some areas. But over-all I think it accomplished what it sat out to do. I know number of people who think RPG's are too hard or technical to play and have fun with. Only a hand full are willing to read 200 or 300 page manuals (remember those days?..lol) in order to play any game. WoW has made it more balance for hardcore and casual players to play together. Now if only they can somehow incorperate the fluidity and combat concept of Ninja Gaiden and Jade Empire. I believe there is a way to do it. My biggest hang-up is that in most RPG's today they usually do great in the magic dept. far as sound, graphics, and variety.(Final Fantasy,Fable,etc...)but when it come to physical combat it's either repititous,very little variety of moves, or no use of the environment while fightin(Ninja Gaiden). A knight is not going to look like a ninja when swinging a sword or when punching not look like a martial artist (Jade Empire). Almost none of the games (which I do love) make that distinction.
I know it's a BIG wish, I would love for someone to make a game that could successfully bring all these concepts to together. Just imagine a game with great magic of which most all do anyway, in-deph stats,abilities,etc..., a variety of combat styles and moves (not just on the stat and damage charts) that are truly different visually(brawling looks nothing like using Crane or Tiger style) and of course an engaging story line and environment that makes you feel like you are actually there..Not a complaint just something on my wish list.
I've been a gamer ever since I can remember. Love to play with and talk to people who have the same love for games. As mentioned before, I also love chess, pool, and old martial arts films. I also recently formed an interest in japanese anime. If anyone knows of any good ones I should see,e-mail me. I've already seen "Fist of the North Star" and "Ninja Scroll".
Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:18 am
Ugly_Prayer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Well if you want to think like this, everything is bound to go down, eventually. It could be in 2 months or 10 years.

Save for Diablo2. People will be playing Diablo2 when the Sun runs outta gas.
OK... so I guess you are correct with the addition of a bunch of zeroes to your 10. Wal-Mart has been stocking Diablo and Diablo2 on its shelves for over 23 years.
Post Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:26 am