7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author Thread
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

EGV - Are you still interested?

For a few weeks now I've noticed an apparently considerable lack of interest towards my weekly editorial: Ekim's Gamer View (EGV). I say apparently because the only real way for me to gauge the interest over my writings is by the amount of comments that it attracts. And since June 30th, there have been none.

Now, I need brutal honesty here. I write because I want to be read. If I didn't want to be read, I wouldn't send my articles to be published every week. Maybe I have no talent, maybe I'm a complete idiot and not worth your time. But in my opinion an editorial exists to spark discussions on a particular subject. It exists to put ideas on the table, and maybe even sometimes try to understand things better, or get points accross. In short, an editorial is an opinion. And as with any opinion out there, mine is also debatable. I like to read different opinions than mine, I like to be challenged, and even proven wrong if I am! But in the last few weeks I haven't seen anything of the sort.

So this could mean a number of things. Either no one is interested anymore, and so the articles go unnoticed, no one cares and so maybe someone should tell me... Or the subjects I talk about are of little interest and I should try to find something else to talk about... Or you don't know that there is still an EGV since we moved it to MMORPGDot... Or you just don't like me and what I have to say and you wish I'd just shut up!

I doubt I haven't heard from anyone simply because everyone thinks I'm always right, so there must be another reason. Again, I need brutal honesty if it applies. Do I need to change something? Should I change the format to do something that would make readers participate a little more? Should I invite comments instead of waiting for them? Or should I just shut up and move on?

This is your web site, so it's your opinion that counts!
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:12 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I have never heard of this at all, Ekim, but I don't think I can spend even more time here to read the EGV, so I can't say something at all about this thing, but I hope that some poeple appreciate what you're doing.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:33 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Yes.

You don't hear a lot from me since a majority of the columns are about MMORPGs - a genre I know nothing about ... aside from what I've gleaned reading your excellent columns.

As long as you continue to write them, I will read them!
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:41 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I dont visit any of the RPGDot network apart from the main site. I dont have time!

This site and its forums takes up way too much of my life as it is.

I rarely even notice anything unless its in the latest forum topics section or the main news section. There is just so much to read I think you are getting lost in the crowd.

I definately have no interest in the MMORPG site. I do like the games somewhat, but my true passion is single player and small multiplater RPG's, ala Secret of Mana, Vampire Masquerade etc.
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:12 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I jump from one site to another and usually only select most interesting things to read (previews, reviews, news on new games, forums & many other things. About half of you articles interest me (non-MMORPGs), although involve in discussion is another thing since it's time consuming - unless the subject is very interesting. But then again, interesting or not very different from one person to another...
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:35 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I also stick mostly to the main site, so I hadn't seen a column in a while. I assumed that you simply hadn't written one for a week or two. You might want to put up a newsbit to let people know you're still writing, just in a different location. The last one I've seen was the RPG/RTS article, and that's got to be 3 or more weeks ago.

Your initial columns were related to RPGs in general, while the newer ones deal primarily with MMORPGs. Since I don't play MMO, I'm really not in a position to comment like I did on some of your earlier columns. Not saying you're writing about the wrong thing, just that your topics no longer have direct implications for me.

I'd strongly recommend a little "advertising" since it appears I'm not the only one that lost track of your efforts.

And, for the powers-that-be, this is exactly why I voted for the main site to include ALL news from ALL the sub-sites. Users could have used the existing profile filters to make the "master news list" manageable. Instead, people's efforts are getting lost in the shuffle, which is a shame.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:42 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

First, a quick vote in favour of your editorial which I enjoy, although admittedly the SP or general ones more than the MMORPG.

Second, it's certainly the intent to have a newsbit on RPGDot whenever any network feature is posted. Perhaps we missed some...I don't know. There are definitely some EGV newsbits, so it can't always be missed for that reason.
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:49 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Could you list some of the articles you have written? I have read and enjoyed a few articles on RPGDot but I never realy pay attention to the Author. (Thats probably realy rude. Sorry )
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:51 am
Dhruin

All the editorials are here, listed in date order with the author. Ekim has penned a good percentage of them of late.
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:07 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
Could you list some of the articles you have written? I have read and enjoyed a few articles on RPGDot but I never realy pay attention to the Author. (Thats probably realy rude. Sorry )

No, it's not rude. I write for RPGDot/MMORPGdot, so my editorials become RPG/MMORPGDot editorials, so it's ok if you never paid any attention

Actually the best place to find all my editorials, including the latest ones, is here since most of the last ones have been published on MMORPGDot.
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:57 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I still read your article on occassion. I just don't always respond to it.
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:55 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I came here for the news, and stay for the editorials. Not much to commit on the last few though. The subjects are covered well, and didnt leave much for me to add to, or object to.
LB
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:13 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I read several of them. And in more cases I just read several paragraphs. I generaly really enjoy your style.
Your articles are long, so I ussually (when I want to read them) must print them (or save them in file) because my connection is too expensive for reading long articles. And when I read them in bus (or something like this), it is not possible to respond... :].
Well and one more thing - you write a lot about MMORPGs and because they are not interesting for me, I do not read those editorials.
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:46 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Thanks for the responses. Sometimes readership is a pretty abstract thing, and I guess I just wanted to know if there was anyone listening out there. Because if no one reads what I write, then what's the point?

Concerning writing about MMORPG since the last couple of months, it's due to several factors, the principal of which being my own suggestion. Since I am mostly leaning towards MMORPGs as a gamer, I guess it only makes perfect sense to write about them, although I do come back to general subjects once in a while.

Someone also told me that maybe I am not being controversial enough, which is a good point to make. I've never been one to try to be controversial. I generally try to see all sides of a problem before finding a solution, but maybe I will try and be a little more one-sided in the future. We'll see if this can spark a little more debate, as that's what I really shoot for in the first place.

And finally, I just want to say that I don't expect everyone that reads to comment on the editorials. I just found it strange that in the last few weeks there had been no sign of life from anyone, and was wondering if that was a sign that I should turn my pen in...

Thanks for reading, and thanks for taking the time to let me know that you read the articles. I appreciate that!
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:01 pm