Usergroups
Morrowind just cannot hold my attention
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Consoles arent mainstream.People are. And certain things are made for mainstream gamers. Like trash games and certain hardware. Just currently most console games have no inovation. But PC rules the gaming world.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:41 pm
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

It seems to me if its so easy to change scripting to npc's then why didn't Bethesda spend some of the 3+ years they worked on this game to give the npc's a little higher vocabulary?? I do like the game Morrowind and spend time playing it often, its just I see where others are coming from when the npc's alway seem to say the same things and have no variety to thier schedules. Get real tired of the same ...Were watching you scum lines from npc's.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:52 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Like i have always said. I dont want games to be like real life or realistic. The day when games mimic real life will be the day games die. You want realistic shut your t.v and comp off and go outside. Ok i am done posting arguments for today.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:55 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
Depth is that you can
1) Run trought main quest in lets say 50 hours
2) Run trought main quest and do several side quests
3) Run trought main quest and do all or most side quests
4) Run trought main quest and do all or most side quests and read most books, visit most places

Lets say that difference between first and last choice is 1000 % - 50 and 500 hours.
Not many games gives such choices.

I don't disagree that is nice. However, in this case, all those extra quests are trivial and mundane. They (as my statistics demonstate) are really all the same - go kill, go kill, go kill - with NO roleplay or storyline reason for the killing.

quote:
Also you can play for "good" and for bad "side" (commona tong). Again not in many games you have such joice.

But again, there is no gameplay difference at all between these two. If you play "good" and work for the Fighter's guild (for example) you are asked to kill people. If you play for the "bad" side and work for the Thieve's guild or the Morag Tong, you are asked to kill people. No storyline difference - you can be the "hero" of the game having played a "good" character or a "bad" character - no difference.

[/quote]
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:38 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
These fanboys understand that in the development cycle, there is only so much time to put events and content into the game.

Yep, and in an interview the developers said they spent more time on the WEATHER system than they did making the NPC's believable, or even semi-realistic. What a cool trade off, on one hand we get weather effects that are nothing more than eye candy, and on the other hand we have static NPC's, that say the exact same thing globally. Some NPC's that have a speech problem (like the Ashlander in Pelagiad) suddenly have perfect speech when you ask them rumors, advice and seceret questions.

quote:
The developers of Morrowind chose a very large world with a reasonably rich history.

A history that does nothing for the game itself....

quote:
Many quests were included and many details, but the details are those of breadth in many cases, not depth. Bethesda could either generate a very large, relatively shallow world or a smaller, deeper world. They chose the former.

Which is gaming suicide. What is the use of putting 500 hours worth of fed-ex quests when they can't even hold an average gamers attention longer than 40 hours due to boredom of doing the same thing over and over.

quote:
Diehard fanboys who really enjoy Morrowind, such as myself, appreciate the grand scale of the game. They appreciate the fact that there are many great houses to join, each offering a significantly different tone.

Grand scale? Come on, anyone can slap polygons together in a gaming engine, then create 2000 tombs/caves/shrines/ruins and leave it at that. Perhaps if every 20 steps you didn't see yet another slavers cave or ancestral tomb the game might have been less tedious. The Houses are interesting, until you start doing more fed-ex quests, then they just become another guild.

quote:
Fanboys love the idea the you never know what will face you in the next town. Will it be someone looking for a lost love? Perhaps a murder or two to solve? Or maybe even someone who has fallen on hard times because of gambling depths. You never know. The stories aren't deep, but they are numerous.

LOL! If you find talking to a girl, taking her glove, running all the way to a town to find a guy then running all the way back her with a note enjoyable, then more power to you. It was nothing more than a waste of time since most quests don't serve a true purpose unless they revolve around slaughter, since you don't have a traditional experience advancement style. Which leads to a whole new flaw in the game, as to how broken the current exp table works. The murder plot in the first town was interesting at first, until I realized how dick simple it was to solve. I mean, come on... You talk to three people and have it completely solved with no doubt in your mind. Give me a break.

quote:
Of course we realize that each event isn't scripted out to an infinite level. That is the price you pay for the grand scale. This is where the concept of free form and shallowness are linked. In my opinion, free form games need to be large. Why? Because no devices are available to make the world seem larger than it really is.

The larger a game is, the more there needs to be to do, otherwise it's a waste of time. In this game, once you've seen ~15% of the island, you might as well say you've seen all there is to see. Once you realize that there is nothing to do besides go into caves/tombs/shrines/ruins it begins to sink in.

quote:
In a more linear game you are obviously confined to a small portion of an ostensibly larger world (most of which you are not allowed to see). The world is then as large as the storyteller says it is, but they only need to show you a small portion of this large world. Since the actual playable world is much smaller, the developers of this linear world can place many more details into it, and the events in the small world can be more tightly linked.

lmao

quote:
Bethesda gave us a whole continent to play in, on the other hand, and they let us play anywhere we like in the continent. It is a large continent with many places and with many people and monsters. They had to sacrifice some depth for this.

No they didn't... There are thousands of NPC's, that are nothing more than mirrors of the previous towns NPC's. That's not even remotely interesting. There is a very small selection monsters that continually respawn every time you leave a zone once you pass a certain point in the game.

quote:
What separates diehard fanboys like me from others like you, Llama, is that we enjoy the grand scale of Morrowind enough to look past the lack of that personal depth of each NPC that you seem to crave. It isn't because we are stupid, or narrowminded, or naive. It is merely because we have different tastes than you do and place our priorities on different aspects of an RPG.

It takes all types of people to make the world go 'round. Even those that like repeatative, tedious gameplay. Such as, strolling through a "marsh" and fighting the same stuff that you find ontop of their "mountains"--should be read as HILLS. The larger a game is, the more depth and detail it requires. This game has less detail and variation than Mario for the Nintendo 64.

quote:
Perhaps we are not diehard fanboys at all, but are instead gamers just like you who enjoy Morrowind so much because of what it does provide that we are willing to look past those things that it omits.

Good! I'm glad you have your own opinion on the game. But, it omits every quality that a good RPG needs to have....

Game balance
Good dialog
Reasonable level advancement system
Decent monster selection
A solid story with at least some plot twist or surprise
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:55 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Depth is that you can
4) Run trought main quest and do all or most side quests and read most books, visit most places

You forgot to mention that number 2/3/4 are identical because once you do a few caves you've done them all.

quote:
Lets say that difference between first and last choice is 1000 % - 50 and 500 hours.

Because most games understand the concept of horrible gameplay, so they don't give you 500 hours of junk.

quote:
Also you can play for "good" and for bad "side" (commona tong). Again not in many games you have such joice.

You cannot join the commona tong...

quote:
Other thing is that there is so much places you may and may not visit, so many quests you may complete or not. So many options to raise your "status" in land Morrowind, or choice not to do this.
You can reach high ranks in several factions, in several cult and guilds. Help people around and they will say "welcome outlander, your name is nearly legend around here".

Yet nothing else happens. Nothing is gained through having a good reputation in the game, because the global dialog is identical no matter where you are on the island. Once you've talked to ~100 NPCs, you've talked to them ALL.

quote:
You can colect items and make little exhibition in your house.

This is fun???

quote:
That is. This game is really roleplaying game.

This game is a failed attempt to combine the feel of a MMORPG and a SP game into one.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:00 am
Fireteddy
City Guard
City Guard

For the record, I can see why people wouldn't like this game. It's buggy (better than Daggerfall, nice try and all, but buggy as hell all the same), sometimes repetitive, slow building, slow playing, slow moving, slow running, derivative (Dune, anyone?), the NPCs have no lives, axes swing too fast, enchanting items is too easy, power-leveling is blood simple, it's easy to cheat/hack/steal, Telekenisis unbalances the game by making thieving obscenely easy, once you hit level 20 the game is almost stupidly easy, my robe is ugly, and Trebonius Artorius is too stupid.

After writing all that, I'm not sure exactly why I still like it. But I do. The equipment whore in me from Diablo II must still be around. The story is pretty decent, too. And there's something immensely rewarding about standing outside the stronghold you got because you viciously backstabbed your way to the head of a house. Or got it honestly, whatever, that's the WUSS way to do it.

Then again, I also like olives, maple syrup on bacon, soap operas, operas, Brussels sprouts, and bugs.

I'm down with you guys not liking it as long as you're down with me digging it, you hear?

Or something.

-Matt
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:14 am
Garon

quote:
These fanboys understand that in the development cycle, there is only so much time to put events and content into the game.

quote:

Yep, and in an interview the developers said they spent more time on the WEATHER system than they did making the NPC's believable, or even semi-realistic. What a cool trade off, on one hand we get weather effects that are nothing more than eye candy, and on the other hand we have static NPC's, that say the exact same thing globally. Some NPC's that have a speech problem (like the Ashlander in Pelagiad) suddenly have perfect speech when you ask them rumors, advice and seceret questions..

I have no knowledge of how long they spent on either of the systems. Again they made a trade-off. It would have taken far longer to flesh out 3000+ npcs than it took to do the weather. You're right, they fall short in personability; I never said otherwise, although some of them do have pretty good dialogue and personalities.

quote:
The developers of Morrowind chose a very large world with a reasonably rich history

quote:
A history that does nothing for the game itself.....

Perhaps it does nothing in your opinion. In mine, however, it fleshes the world out some. It gives MW some depth and meaning behind the mouse clicking.

quote:
Many quests were included and many details, but the details are those of breadth in many cases, not depth. Bethesda could either generate a very large, relatively shallow world or a smaller, deeper world. They chose the former.

quote:
Which is gaming suicide. What is the use of putting 500 hours worth of fed-ex quests when they can't even hold an average gamers attention longer than 40 hours due to boredom of doing the same thing over and over.

These quests aren't the same thing over and over if you put them into the context of the game. There are fictional reasons for your doing these things; the rest requires imagination. For example, the FedEx quests in the Bal Molagmar line are based on stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. Of course they are somewhat simple in mechanism, but the motivation is that there are poor and downtrodden in the world that you are helping. That is interesting to me, although it might not be to you. Of course, when you finish the Bal Molagmar quest line, you don't get a fancy cutscene or any reward. You only get personal satisfaction from helping the poor in game and an expectation for your character to continue your Robin Hoodish ways with methods of your own choosing.

It may seem obvious, but in reality, all any video game is is a bunch of pixels on a screen that you rearrange by pressing buttons or moving a mouse in a certain pattern. The attraction is in the artificial goals that the game creates for you, and it is unreasonable to expect everyone to like every type of goal, just as it would be unreasonable to expect everyone who likes Tiger Woods Golf to like The Longest Journey. I like the goals presented in Morrowind, and you do not. It may be hard to fathom, but I'm afraid you must except that.

As for the idea of gaming suicide, I hesitate to say that any game that I play for more than 100 hours is a game that has killed itself. I think the sales figures alone have shown that this game has not killed itself. And if a game offers entertainment for 40 hours, it has already offered more than 95% of all games on the market, including numerous "Games of the Year". It might not be fun for you, but that doesn't mean that a game is not good. I personally don't like to play checkers, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good game.

quote:
Diehard fanboys who really enjoy Morrowind, such as myself, appreciate the grand scale of the game. They appreciate the fact that there are many great houses to join, each offering a significantly different tone.

quote:
Grand scale? Come on, anyone can slap polygons together in a gaming engine, then create 2000 tombs/caves/shrines/ruins and leave it at that. Perhaps if every 20 steps you didn't see yet another slavers cave or ancestral tomb the game might have been less tedious. The Houses are interesting, until you start doing more fed-ex quests, then they just become another guild.

Can anyone write hundreds of pages of background history? Can anyone come up with at least four distinct cultures, each with different customs, different architectures, and different political goals? Maybe so, and I hope that if they do that the product of their efforts is as interesting as Morrowind is.

quote:
Fanboys love the idea the you never know what will face you in the next town. Will it be someone looking for a lost love? Perhaps a murder or two to solve? Or maybe even someone who has fallen on hard times because of gambling depths. You never know. The stories aren't deep, but they are numerous.

quote:
LOL! If you find talking to a girl, taking her glove, running all the way to a town to find a guy then running all the way back her with a note enjoyable, then more power to you. It was nothing more than a waste of time since most quests don't serve a true purpose unless they revolve around slaughter, since you don't have a traditional experience advancement style. Which leads to a whole new flaw in the game, as to how broken the current exp table works. The murder plot in the first town was interesting at first, until I realized how dick simple it was to solve. I mean, come on... You talk to three people and have it completely solved with no doubt in your mind. Give me a break.

The actual act of performing the love quest isn't the important thing. In fact, I wasn't able to complete the quest, because I ran into the bandit first and had to kill him after I refused to pay his toll. The cool thing is that this woman actually fell in love with a bandit that robbed her! He must have been some smooth talker. Too bad I had to kill him.

As for the broken experience system, what makes more sense? Magically becoming a better fighter after fighting a fixed number of monsters that are of a certain toughness (or after completing a quest that has nothing to do with fighting at all), or becoming better at certain skills as you use them? The second makes more sense to me. The former method is best for P&P games, because keeping up with many skill levels with dice rolling and notetaking would be overwhelming in a P&P play session. This isn't P&P, however, so there is no real reason to follow the experience point convention. I personally like the skill-based levelling style, even with its imperfections and ease of exploitation.

quote:
Of course we realize that each event isn't scripted out to an infinite level. That is the price you pay for the grand scale. This is where the concept of free form and shallowness are linked. In my opinion, free form games need to be large. Why? Because no devices are available to make the world seem larger than it really is.

quote:
The larger a game is, the more there needs to be to do, otherwise it's a waste of time. In this game, once you've seen ~15% of the island, you might as well say you've seen all there is to see. Once you realize that there is nothing to do besides go into caves/tombs/shrines/ruins it begins to sink in.

I disagree. There are many quests, books, and events you will not have seen if you explore only 15% of the continent. Cities, buildings, rumors, tribes, and more. Again, I obviously am impressed by these things more than you are.

quote:
In a more linear game you are obviously confined to a small portion of an ostensibly larger world (most of which you are not allowed to see). The world is then as large as the storyteller says it is, but they only need to show you a small portion of this large world. Since the actual playable world is much smaller, the developers of this linear world can place many more details into it, and the events in the small world can be more tightly linked.

quote:
lmao

Did you have a point, or did someone tickle your toe with a feather?

quote:
Bethesda gave us a whole continent to play in, on the other hand, and they let us play anywhere we like in the continent. It is a large continent with many places and with many people and monsters. They had to sacrifice some depth for this.

quote:
No they didn't... There are thousands of NPC's, that are nothing more than mirrors of the previous towns NPC's. That's not even remotely interesting. There is a very small selection monsters that continually respawn every time you leave a zone once you pass a certain point in the game.

No, they didn't what? The interesting NPCs are the ones that aren't mirrors of others; the ones that say something different. How interesting was that NPC in BG that you clicked on and it had nothing to say? Not very, but there were other far more interesting ones in that game. The same goes with MW.

quote:
What separates diehard fanboys like me from others like you, Llama, is that we enjoy the grand scale of Morrowind enough to look past the lack of that personal depth of each NPC that you seem to crave. It isn't because we are stupid, or narrowminded, or naive. It is merely because we have different tastes than you do and place our priorities on different aspects of an RPG.

quote:
It takes all types of people to make the world go 'round. Even those that like repeatative, tedious gameplay. Such as, strolling through a "marsh" and fighting the same stuff that you find ontop of their "mountains"--should be read as HILLS. The larger a game is, the more depth and detail it requires. This game has less detail and variation than Mario for the Nintendo 64.

Yep, it does take all types. Of course the gameplay is repetitive. The game is about doing different things with your character in a different world. The meat of this game is in history, culture, and ideas; not in rapid clicking or even combat tactics or puzzle solving. Along with many other types of games, I like this type. It is obvious that you do not. I pity you because you most likely spent fifty dollars on a game you don't enjoy.

Less depth than Mario? That's good. Maybe we could petition to get a humor forum up for this thread.

quote:
Perhaps we are not diehard fanboys at all, but are instead gamers just like you who enjoy Morrowind so much because of what it does provide that we are willing to look past those things that it omits.

quote:
Good! I'm glad you have your own opinion on the game. But, it omits every quality that a good RPG needs to have....

Game balance
Good dialog
Reasonable level advancement system
Decent monster selection
A solid story with at least some plot twist or surprise

I don't believe you. I think it really bothers you that I have my own opinion about the game. If it didn't, you wouldn't be trying so hard to convince me that I shouldn't like it. As to your points:

Game balance--Yep, MW does leave something to be desired in the difficulty department. I've written numerous posts about it on the official forum, as have many others. Hopefully they will address this with a patch. I personally would like more high-level content, but until this issue is fixed I will simply play lower-level characters or just do quests that provide content other than monster-fighting.

Good dialog--There are many characters that have good dialogue. I'm sorry that you haven't found them.

Level advancement--I think the levelling system makes more sense than about any computer-based RPG I've ever seen, even with it's flaws.

Monster selection--Yeah, I'd like to see more monsters. . . who wouldn't. But a fatal flaw? Hardly.

Story line--I think the story is okay. I've seen better, but I've certainly seen worse. As for plot twists, I'll bet there is more classic, timeless literature written without plot twists than you can fit in your house. Plot twists are nice sometimes, as are surprises, but they are only one literary technique in thousands. And they can become trite with overuse just as any other technique can.

I believe, Llama, that you are victim of the Internet Anonymity Syndrome. You don't know the people you converse with on the internet, so you assume that if they don't agree with you, even about subjective things such as computer gaming taste, that they are mindless buffoons that don't know sense from a hole in the ground. This saddens me. But not so much so that I won't start up Morrowind and begin my 120th hour tonight.

Have a nice evening, and enjoy whatever game you like to play.

Garon
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:45 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Llama
quote:
Depth is that you can

You forgot to mention that number 2/3/4 are identical because once you do a few caves you've done them all.

So 2 and 3 are identical for you, not four...

quote:

quote:

Because most games understand the concept of horrible gameplay, so they don't give you 500 hours of junk.

Hmm, junk... Do you really think that htis game is junk? I understand that you do not like it or do not like so much as I do, but it is still something else than call it junk.

quote:

quote:

You cannot join the commona tong...

Hmm... I didnt try it, but why are people asking questions with name of thread like "First quest for Commona Tong" then, maybe you cant join them, but you can work for them?

quote:

quote:
Other thing is that there is so much places you may and may not visit, so many quests you may complete or not. So many options to raise your "status" in land Morrowind, or choice not to do this.
You can reach high ranks in several factions, in several cult and guilds. Help people around and they will say "welcome outlander, your name is nearly legend around here".

Yet nothing else happens. Nothing is gained through having a good reputation in the game, because the global dialog is identical no matter where you are on the island. Once you've talked to ~100 NPCs, you've talked to them ALL.

Hmm... I said I do not like same dialogs with NPCs everywhere. But this is not true. I noticed several times that NPCs are starting to act differently when my reputation there goes up.
For example one woman. Her first sentece was always "What do you do here outlander" (very angry), now she say very kindly "Hello outlander, welcome here, you are nearly legend around here:.

[quote="Llama"]
quote:
You can colect items and make little exhibition in your house.

This is fun??? [/qoute]
It is ofcourse fun. Well I mean part of whole thing, part of fun. It was part of fun in Diablo II, in Dungeon Siege and it is part of fun here, at least for me.

quote:

quote:
That is. This game is really roleplaying game.

This game is a failed attempt to combine the feel of a MMORPG and a SP game into one.

Then it failed to do it for you, not here.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:06 am
Guest Dare

I like the game.

If you don't, then how do you figure arguing about it is somehow going to change how I or anybody else feels about the game?

It's all about personal preferences. And it's a useless point to argue because people are just... different.

Tolerance is a virtue.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:36 am

GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yeah, its too bad you guys dont like it, after all you have spent a good deal of money for it. I hope in time you will find that patches and especially the mods that will come out for this game will redeem the purchase for you. The community is very active, and the editor does allow cration of better dialogue and better schedules etc. And there are people who have great story ideas out there I am sure. In fact I would like to encourage you to spend some time with the editor and let us take part in your personal vision of what a great RPG should be like, but unfortunately my experience is that the people who complain about something can rarely be bothered to work on "fixing" it.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:53 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
In fact, I wasn't able to complete the quest, because I ran into the bandit first and had to kill him after I refused to pay his toll. The cool thing is that this woman actually fell in love with a bandit that robbed her! He must have been some smooth talker. Too bad I had to kill him.

That's the wrong bandit...

See, she knows where the bandit is, but because she has concrete boots on she can't walk very far, and is limited to that hillside for the rest of her life, even after you deliver the note to her. If you read her dialog, she gives you the exact location of her "lover", it's up to you to walk into the right building and walk up to the right person and start up dialog about how he's a bandit yet stands inside that paticular building the entire time you play the game...

quote:
Yeah, its too bad you guys dont like it, after all you have spent a good deal of money for it. I hope in time you will find that patches and especially the mods that will come out for this game will redeem the purchase for you.

Boring quests and bad dialog aside, if their patch actually fixes the shattered, simple difficulty of the game, then I'll play it again, just to get some type of satisfaction out of it.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:19 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I don't believe you. I think it really bothers you that I have my own opinion about the game. If it didn't, you wouldn't be trying so hard to convince me that I shouldn't like it. As to your points:

Why would it bother me that a name on my computer screen likes something that I don't? I'm confused as to why you would even assume this.

quote:
Good dialog--There are many characters that have good dialogue. I'm sorry that you haven't found them.

lol

Nearly every person says the exact same thing when you ask them a basic question. There are a few people that have very cool dialog to start out with (for instance, the Ashlander standing in the Pelagiad tavern). He doesn't speak the "common" language very well...at least until you ask him a question with a global response, then suddenly he knows the common language perfectly. As with every single other character in the game that has even the slightest resemblence of "life" in their dialog. They suddenly become the static, boring NPC that you meet in every other town in the game.

quote:
Monster selection--Yeah, I'd like to see more monsters. . . who wouldn't. But a fatal flaw? Hardly.

Come back when you're level 35 and you've already fought 5,000,000,000 cliff racers, then tell me it's not a fatal flaw.

quote:
I believe, Llama, that you are victim of the Internet Anonymity Syndrome. You don't know the people you converse with on the internet, so you assume that if they don't agree with you, even about subjective things such as computer gaming taste, that they are mindless buffoons that don't know sense from a hole in the ground. This saddens me. But not so much so that I won't start up Morrowind and begin my 120th hour tonight.

Really? I don't recall calling you names, or claiming you were a "mindless buffoon", perhaps you're just assuming (again) that because I have a different opinion than yours that I must have some type of problem? Maybe a small amount of time infront of the mirror, practicing what you preach would help.

But, to respond to a specific comment about not knowing people I type to on the internet---
I don't want to, I have no desire to make "friends" on the internet, because everyone is just a name on my screen that goes away when I turn off my monitor or close by browser window. I guess now you can respond with some inane comment about how I'm anti-social because I don't sit infront of my computer all the time making online friends...
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:31 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Then why are you posting so hard to make online enemies
Peace, brother
Just accept that we like the game, as I can accept and partly understand the reasons why you don't.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:52 pm
Jung

quote:
Originally posted by GhanBuriGhan
Then why are you posting so hard to make online enemies
Peace, brother
Just accept that we like the game, as I can accept and partly understand the reasons why you don't.

So, giving your opinion on a game that you feel is overrated is an attempt to make enemies?
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:15 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next