Badlur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 announced
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Badlur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 announced

Here's the official press release for this second installment of the actin/RPG for PS2 and Xbox: <br><blockquote><em><b>Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II</b> <br> <br>LOS ANGELES, March 24. Vivendi Universal Games and Interplay Entertainment Corp. today announced the development of Baldur's Gate(TM): Dark Alliance(TM) II, the sequel to the award-winning hit Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. This unique action/role-playing game is being developed by Interplay's Black Isle Studios, known for their high quality role-playing games, and will be released for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox(TM) video game system from Microsoft. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II will be distributed by Vivendi Universal Games. <br> <br>Set in the Forgotten Realms® world, the most popular Dungeons & Dragons® campaign setting, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II will use the 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons rules set. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II will feature more monsters, graphically stunning environments and five new and unique customizable player characters to choose from, hidden areas to explore, as well as a new item creation system that will allow players to create their own ultimate magical artifacts. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II is scheduled to be available at retail for holiday 2003. <br> <br>"The move to develop for the console systems with Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance allowed the team to bring new adventure and life into the series and enhance the franchise," states Feargus Urquhart, president of Black Isle Studios. <br> <br>Darkness gathers yet again in the sprawling port city of Baldur's Gate and the city's most recent saviors vanished along with the Onyx Tower, foul bastion of Eldrith the Betrayer. In heroic tradition, adventurers throughout the Western Heartlands make the journey to Baldur's Gate to meet their great and unknown fate. The threat of Eldrith has been eliminated, yet sinister, enigmatic forces still rally against the city. There are many intrigues to unravel, enemies to butcher, and characters to meet -- both old and new -- before Baldur's Gate is saved from a fate far worse than utter destruction.</em></blockquote>
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:17 pm
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

Oh no

Is this the unnamed RPG that black Isle have been going on about?
I guess so.

I'm gutted.

How disapointing.
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:18 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

I hope the second part is as great as the first one, it would be a pitty to see a masterpiece like this geting ruined, but I think that guys from BI know what they're doing, non of their games disapointed me yet, and I hope it stays that way
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:03 pm

Re: Oh no

quote:
Originally posted by jellylad
Is this the unnamed RPG that black Isle have been going on about?
I guess so.

I'm gutted.

How disapointing.

Nope, it's not this project.
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:37 pm

Dov
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Where's the GameCube version? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:05 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Where's the GameCube version? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

The GC version will be handled by some outside company that will clusterfuck the framerate much like what happened with the port of the original BG: DA. Then, history will repeat itself and it will go throughout the NGC community that it's another halfassed crap port of a game and nobody will buy it. Afterwards, Interplay, BIS or Vivendi, whoever is reponsible for the ignorance will just claim that there isn't enough a demand for GC games and that they will no longer support the console for future projects of this nature. In turn, the NGC community will give a big "who cares" in their direction, because we, as Nintendo fanatics don't want half assed ports for our console.

Once developers realize the potential for the system, like Factor 5, Capcom, Namco, Ubi Soft and EA have, then we will start seeing more quality 3rd party games from companies that want a fast buck.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:21 am
Dov
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Yep, that sounds about right, Llama. It doesn't help that Nintendo doesn't seem to have any incredible first-party titles coming out soon. I'm more interested in several second-party games than any first-party projects in the near future.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:07 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Yep, that sounds about right, Llama. It doesn't help that Nintendo doesn't seem to have any incredible first-party titles coming out soon. I'm more interested in several second-party games than any first-party projects in the near future.

Zelda comes out today in the US...

By the time that game gets put on the back burner E3 will be here and the next wave of great games will be on their way.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:40 pm
Dov
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I dunno about Zelda. I had finally gotten past the way it looked, but the reviews, while giving it high scores, have said that the gameplay is the same and pretty much boring and that the last 1/4 of the game is downright tedious. I don't know, I'll have to proceed with caution. I'm looking forward to P.N.O.3, Killer 7, Too Human, Soul Caliber II, and Animal Crossing II.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:49 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Same gameplay as OoT, which was a near flawless system...

Only difference is, quicker control response and better camera controls. Plus the unmatched visual quality of the game.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:01 pm