Usergroups
Gorasul demo
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Anyone else had a look at the Gorasul demo? I fooled around a little with it lately, and I must say I really enjoyed what I saw.

I am going to write a demo review for the site this week, and I would ask you for your input. So, if you had a chance to play it, let me know your feelings. And if you never heard of the game before - shame on you *g*. Search the games section of RPGdot for more info.

Post Sun Jul 08, 2001 7:40 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Tried a few hours the german demo version.
I can't comment on the story after this short play time, just on some game mechanics.

-Nice, but not like BG2 graphics.
-More or less Random moving monsters (not so good IMHO, more like action gaming)
- The character skills/triats are many, but not especial visible or effektfull after upgrades. If you distribute your level up points, you don't see/feel any imidiate changes on gameplay. You end up scattering the points without interest.
- I hope the story can compensate, for the lack of the dynamic character development.
Post Mon Jul 09, 2001 11:41 am
Stefan Hoffmann
Silver Dragon of Gorasul
Silver Dragon of Gorasul

Hi all!

@Michael C:
Hehe, I guess it's not so easy to play a crpg without understanding the language. But you can be sure, that the character and weapon stats finally have big effect on the gameplay - and there are also different graphical effects for Roszondas' special dragon abilities depending on his state of relearning them.

So if you don't feel any difference, the reason maybe was that the fights in the demo were a bit too easy for you. In the final version you can choose between different levels of difficulty, and then character development definetely works fine and is fun.

Stefan Hoffmann
Lead Programmer of Gorasul
Post Mon Jul 09, 2001 3:24 pm
Stefan Hoffmann
Silver Dragon of Gorasul
Silver Dragon of Gorasul

Hehe, Rendelius, you spent me a really nice logo.

<----

Thank you for that!

Post Mon Jul 09, 2001 8:27 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

My pleasure

Post Tue Jul 10, 2001 2:53 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Hi Stefan

Don't worry, I'm not even close to give up this game yet. CRPG games are not a common item, and I have learnt to treasure the few that even reach Denmark.
I have now played a few more hours and, although I'm getting more used to the game there are still some game mechanics that I can't make my peace with. f.eks. I tried to attack the same kind of zombie multiple times, just by letting them hack on each other until one is dead, and the outcome is very different. Most times the zombie dies leaving my character without any injuries, but sometimes it's the opposite way around. It just feels like a random luck situation with minor character influence.
I like the very detailled informations on every skill/item/spell etc. Although my german is not leaving much back to desire, I still manage to understand some sentences.
Regarding the skill distribution points: I maybe need more time to appriciate the skill system. I do like a lot of possible choices regarding skill development, but adding 2-3 point to a skill that already got about 25 points don't seem to change anything immidiately, but maybe after have putting another 20-40 points into the skill, the change will be more visible, but it will cost me a lot of character upgrades before I really se a change.
I'm not sure I quite understand the dragon skills yet.
Despite my mentioned (minor)issues, I still have to say, that the game gets more and more interesting as the hours goes by.
Post Tue Jul 10, 2001 1:39 pm
Stefan Hoffmann
Silver Dragon of Gorasul
Silver Dragon of Gorasul

Hi Michael!

Hm, did you realize that there are two different types of zombies in the tower? One is stronger than the other.
But on the other hand you're right: Luck definetely plays a role in Gorasul - like in all rpgs. Luck decides if your weapon makes minimum or maximum damage, and if your opponent parries the attack. But the luck factor isn't that much different from other games. Also attributes have big influence on this: They determine the maximum damage or how good an opponents parade has to be to be successful. In this aspect, Gorasul works quiet similar to AD&D or other roleplay systems.

About attributes:
You're right, you definetely need some level ups for really seeing a difference in gameplay. The reason for this is quiet simple. E.g. you attack a warrior skeleton and you just killed it with one hitpoint left. After this you level up somewhere else
and adding some more attribute points to your stats. Then you meet another warrior skeleton in some other place. Well, it would be annoying very quickly if you just kick it then without any difficulty. You should have the feeling, that it gets a bit easier this time. Maybe after 3 or 4 level ups you realize that these warrior skeletons are no longer a problem for you. I guess that's
the way a rpg system should work to make fun.

A few things about the dragon skills:
Roszondas was grown up by a dragon, and this dragon gave him the special magic of the dragon race. Roszondas isn't really able to control this magic, but the dragon skills becomes active sometimes when Roszondas is in great danger.
Practically, these dragon skills really save Roszondas' live very often, prevent you from loading the game again (that's why I love these skills). Dragon Fear (Drachenangst in the German version) or Dragon Breath (Drachenodem) are very powerful for any kind of character, Dragon Strength Drachenstärke) gives a lot more fighting power to a warrior type char. Dragon Eyes (Drachenaugen)
increases your sight area and adds some benefits to the minimap - Dragon Eyes
are always active.
This feature is unique and highly story-related, so you might never see this again
- even in another Silver Style RPG.

[ This Message was edited by: Stefan Hoffmann on 2001-07-11 19:31 ]
Post Thu Jul 12, 2001 12:29 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I think Gorasul deserves a forum of its own

Post Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:29 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Hi Stefan:

Dragon skills:Thank you for clearifying the dragon skills for us, I now understand why sometimes, in my characters near death situations, his surroundings was glowing brigth, it was his "Dragon fear" skill kicking in!

Figthing: I'm aware of the chance to do minimum or maximum of damage to my opponent, and I have no problem with that, it defently makes things more interesting. I also know about % chances of "hitting", "blocking", "get hit" etc. Again all things making it more interesting.
In relation to my growing skills my chances of succes will increase. Despite all these more or less chance inspired skills, you normally have a good feeling of your characters current capabilities. I'm not complaining about it's to easy or to hard, but simply that I don't have that feeling with my characters skills. Using my earlier point as argument, the figthing against the same type of zombie (the tough one), The outcome could vary much from no scratch to my character to the opposite situation. It sometimes seems that the zombie blocks all my attacks, and sometimes the other way around.
I must however say, that I'm now a few upgrades into the game, and the problem seems to fade out a bit. I now got a little better feeling with my character.

Attributes: I'm sure you rigth about the way you describe the impact of the characters skill development, I can't see it for myself yet (To early in the game), but I still have to say that distribution of skill points don't stress my thougths.

Graphics: Earlier I said that the graphics is quite nice, but not as polished as BG2, and I still mean that, but actually the enviroment in Gorasul is much more separated and well shaded. The problem with 3rd persons views, is often when walls and floors, is of same material/colour, it's hard to tell there one thing start and another ends. It was a bit frustrating navigating in BG2 especially in dungeons, but also in some towns, but Gorasul seems so far to handle this problem very well, with good functional shadings and colours.

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2001-07-12 03:24 ]
Post Thu Jul 12, 2001 8:22 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Well I did not have much interest in Gorgasul before reading this thread, but Stefan's interactivity in the thread has definately sparked my interest. I think I will dload the demo and give her a whirl.
Post Thu Jul 12, 2001 3:22 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I meant Gorasul <: Upon checking it looks like there is only a German demo, is this true?
Post Thu Jul 12, 2001 3:27 pm
Gwennec
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hi
I was trying to download the demo and it asked for a username/password. Did I miss something or is it for press only?

- Gwennec
Post Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:37 pm
Gwennec
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

lol. sorry. I really missed the headline on RPGDot checked all other RPG sites except RPGDot I guess.
Post Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:45 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I finished the demo, and I will go for the full game when it reach denmark!
Here are a few things IMHO which could need some attention in the demo!
- The game locks up everytime if you decide to stay in the tower, after getting the posibility to leave it!
- The distribution of skill point to the dragon skills is to sensitive. Just one click often ends up in adding 2 or more points to a skill.
- When you want to save the game to the same file as the previous time, you should be able to use the "enter" button all the way through all the confirmations.
- If you use the game feature to "auto-pause" the game, in case of your character gets very low health, it correctly pauses the game when the situation is reached, but if you don't want to do anything about it at the time and unpause the game again, it automatically repauses the game a second later. A bit annoying!

For my final comment: I can only recommend this game, it's got very good potential based on knowledge from a rather short demo!
Post Fri Jul 13, 2001 8:04 am
Stefan Hoffmann
Silver Dragon of Gorasul
Silver Dragon of Gorasul

Hi Michael!

Thanks for your final comment to the demo.

We will have a look into your issues, but most of it seems to be done in the meantime (autopause and tower lock definetely). For easier saving, the final version also has a quicksave which just saves the game again with the last recent save name (without
any request).

Finally, the demo just represents a smaller part of the game, but I really think that what you see gives you a good impression of the final game and spends anyone some hours of fun. And that's the way a demo version of a game should work.
Also we didn't want to make it any bigger, because it's hard enough to download 40 MB for the small demo or 120 MB for the bigger demo.

By the way: The complete game has more than 2 GB, and we really had to cut off several features for the demo like summoning all these different types of creatures or the many types of character animation for Roszondas and his friends. Also, in the final version you can choose at the start between 7 different weapons.

Post Fri Jul 13, 2001 11:52 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next