Strength cost doubled in the add-on?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Strength cost doubled in the add-on?

I'm playing the add-on now for the first time, and so far it's been a great experience(it really adds something to the game), but for some reason I now have to spend 10 skillpoints to get 5 strength(ever since I reached 30 strength). At first I thought it might be because I was guildless(magicians pay twice as much for any fighting skills for instance), but now I'm a mercenary, and I still have the same problem.

Another theory I came up with was that you couldn't get too much strength compared to dexterity(like 1H/2H combat), but this theory was wrong as well(if I spend 10 points getting 5 strength, I don't get 5 dex as well.. as you do with 1H/2H).

So, what's the key? What do I have to do to get it back to normal? I refuse to believe that you are supposed to get 200+ strength with twice the cost on strength.. that means 360 skillpoints(the first 10 are free, the next 20 for normal cost, and then 170 at double cost). 36 levels on strength alone? That must be a cruel joke..
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:38 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The addon is quite interesting.
strength/ dex
0-30 1pt/increase of 1
31-60 2pt/increase of 1
61-90 3pt
and so forth
One trick is to train to 29 or 59 for instance then you can get the next five for the original cost of that range instead of paying more for the next four.
Sword and archery also get costly.

200 strength is tough to reach, but there are magic stones you can learn to read that will help out. plus apples, and praying can increase strength.
It was fairly easy to reach ~170 with jewelry, which is all that is needed for the best two hand weapon. I was never able to find anyone to teach me how to brew strength potions in NOTR, but that was alright because even at 3str/potion I could have had about another 30str and that would have been overkill.
I'll say one thing though Maylander.
If you play the game and don't explore and kill everything on the map the dragons will be a nice challenge. This is good because overall these gothic games have been waaaay too easy. Even NOTR was still too easy in my opinion. Too much exp is given if i play again I will attempt to limit my skill spending to about lvl 25 or so. It would be difficult to only reach this lvl so I will have numerous point in excess.

Overall though the addon is much improved over original g2.
have fun.
later, rordog
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:26 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

No mistake, Maylander. It's the way things are in the add-on I'm afraid.

You must spend your points wisely. The good news is that there are more ways to increase your stats this time:

1. Belts
2. More rings & amulets to find. At least one ring you'll find can boost a combat skill
3. Stone tablets that you can read to increase stats and skills. When you get the chance to "learn" the skill to read these tablets --go all the way with it. It is worth it because these tablets are all over the place

4. Some weapons now actually increase your 1 handed or 2 handed skill when you wield them
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:15 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

An overview of the changes can be found in my review. PB did a lot to make TNotR harder than G2. Melee chars are okay if youīre focused. The mage requires precise play. Waste 50 skill points and you can start over or ask Marvin.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:06 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmm.. I really thought I saw an axe(one of the best from the original, Barbarians' Axe or something) which required 200 str. This is impossible to achieve then? Maybe a 1H fighter with high dex and a bow(ranger class) could be as well balanced as a melee fighter then, but what about the superweapon of the dragon hunters? What does it require in strength to wield(2H version)? I think I'll go for that strength requirement, because any more is never needed(the damage of the weapon itself is more than high enough, and it's range great as well).

So, the game has been made far tougher it seems. I read your review once again(read it when you first wrote it as well, but after having tried it I got far more out of it). It is just as you wrote, it seems easier in the beginning, but quickly becomes harder. Great review by the way, I'll use that as a further refence when I need to know of differences!

One little thing though. What about magicians? Does the mana cost 1-5 per point as well? It would be impossible to reach 250 mana, even with mana potions(without using the "drink-potion-while-attacked-exploit"), if you have to pay 5 points per point the last 100 mana or so.

Thank you for quick replies everyone, I'll be heading back to add-on now. So far I'm enjoying the challenge!
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:41 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The biggest weapons require 160-170 Str.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:59 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

So 170 is my goal then! What about the mana issue? I'm thinking of doing a Magician afterwards(I have to try out the new spells, and I assume the Paladin does not have any new spells/abilities like the Magician).
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:13 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

The manacost of all runes has seriously increased so you can't go firing away with your best rune equipped, however spell scrolls only require 5 mana, no matter which spell (even fire rain for 5 mana).
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:13 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I noticed that. I seriously HOPE you can now get more than 250, or the Magician will be harder than ever..

I still have a few question's left. How much reaserch has been done on Beliar's Claw? It doesn't have any strength requirements, so anyone can use it, but how do ciriticals work? Do they add a strength bonus, or a dexterity bonus? Or the highest one? If that's the case, you can give it to a ranger as well as a melee fighter, which would be great.

Also, the magic crossbow. Where to find more magic ammo? Is it even possible? I haven't seen the ammo in any shops.

Last edited by Maylander on Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:55 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

http://mondgesaenge.de/G2ADB/
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:01 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ooo there's a guide for everything in here, thanks Gorath!

I noticed this when I faced them, but here it is black on white - the Dragonsnappers have gotten a NASTY boost. It seems most creatures are tougher now, but noone as much tougher as the Dragonsnappers; they are tougher than Shadowbeasts now..
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:39 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Dragonsnappers are really bad ass! They even have a fair chance against a single Orc warrior. You can make a lot of XP early on with a 'transform to dragonsnapper' scroll. I donīt know whether itīs permanent or reset when transforming back, though.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:21 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I hadn't thought about that! In the original such a strategy would not have been worth it(they were good back then as well, but not THIS good), but nowadays you could probably kill half the map before you had to transform back! I'll have to try this, maybe with my next char(magician).. he could probably use a few extra levels before going into the add-on land. Any idea where I could by a dragonsnapperscroll early on? I remember to have seen it several times in later games(from chapter 4 and out it's in a lot of places), but I've noticed that things are available at a much earlier point in the add-on.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:25 pm
aldee_
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi there.

Just a short note.

Transforming into a Dragon Snapper will probably work fine indeed.

However, all HP (health points) you gain while climbing up levels will be irrevocably lost as soon as you transform back into a human (RETURN key, you won't be able to save while you are transformed into some kind of mob by the way).

So no, this is not the way to go.

However, if you feel like experimenting with stuff, you might want to have a look at the stickies in this forum. Forgive my advertising.
Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:36 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

What do you mean? That you'll lose HP off your total HP before/after the transformation? I just ran around like a crazed fool as a dragon snapper killing those pesky seekers(they're hard to kill as a magician), and used field raider transformation to jump down a cliff(they don't take damage like most other things), and also a lurker transformation to get jump over the broken bridge(they jump pretty well actually, better than wolves).. and I didn't notice anything.. as far as I know, I had the exact same HP after the transformations, as before..?
Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:42 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next