Seems I've hit a snag...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Future Engineer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Seems I've hit a snag...

Is it REALLY the case that you need to have all the Akbaa rocks in order to finish the game? I mean, the whole thing has been marvelous until I read a few posts here (no pun intended, great forum), but this is just the kind of stupid programming that usually gets people (I'm people) to delete otherwise great adventures. Is there no way around this, coz I know I've thrown at least one of them somewhere I can't remember, and I have no savegames except the quicksaves? I'd really HATE to go into trekking all levels thoroughly just to find one object that seemed to have no use in the first place! Besides, I think I threw more than one away... Oh the humanity, even if it is artificial...

Also, about Olivers quest, where the hell is the note under the stones in the trolls' mines? No stones, no note. Nuttin' Atoll.
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:04 am
k'tav
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

it's not bad programing. in the first place if you thought the rocks were useless u should have left them where u found them. second i allways try to remember where i put objects that SEEM useless, i mean if a throw a fishing rod i know i won't ruin my game...
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:22 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I agree with him though.

There are two major flaws which can easyly make you sereously screw up your game and you won'tknow about it until mauch later on...

The first is wasting your mithril and just trasnforming into a bar (if at least you could still add the Kolt after you made the bar, since intuitivly if you don't have the kolt you won't do the two weapons (though you might), you'll save the other mithril for some other mold you might find).

The second being the stupid akba stones - which you can find too damn early too - that one right in the entrance of the temple... I mean you gotta leave it somwhere (or breing it along and waste precious backback space) and remember where to put it... But you don't even know the item is important.

That's just bad design, no matter how you put it. At least with the stones you can't really loose them... They have to be in the game somewhere...
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:08 am
NSNightStalker
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Tresure Hunt

Just go under the ladder and press the F key on the shovel then look down.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:49 am
Future Engineer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The thing with the Oliver quest and the damn Akbaa rocks

Ok, thanks, NSNightStalker... but hey, where did that come from?
The first note just says to look under the stones? What's with the ladder? Is it under 'some stones'. And so on... frustrating... but still, many thanks, I think I'll manage from here on.

I'm guessing from what I've gathered that the usage of the shovel will always be like poking in the dark, right? No hotspots or anything?

Oh, and K'Tav... The thing is that I did carry those stones pretty far with me. They were my best friends, never let me down, never said a bad word...
Then I started to run out of space trying to loot the seventh level with those ratmen and their you've-got-to-sell-these daggers... I still kept them, they were pretty... I knew they had a purpose... Then I discovered I could use different materials to make my own potions.. and how to enchant weapons and armor... I tried to use the Akbaa rocks with God knows what else... but to no avail... so I thought they were just symbolic objects, only there to create the atmosphere... If only someone had said SOMETHING about them earlier like "geewiz, these rocks must be pretty important, doing nuttin' just sittin' around'n making themselves unuseful..." like a fishing-pole, you might add. Except I still use a fishing-pole, maybe because I CAN.

whew...I'm not bitter or anything...

And besides, how do you know that the end-of-the-level-baddie isn't a giant seabass, it's scales impervious to normal weapons and magic. May the Noden help you if you've thrown your only fishing-pole out of reach...
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:54 am
sunshine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i got to the end and only had two akba rocks, so i had to start over.

This turned out to be a good thing as i can make a thief character now.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:55 pm
sunshine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

You would thing a Future Engeneer would be up for more of a challange...

You see this is not a flaw with the programming,
It is a flaw with your RPG skills!

These lame-ass rpgs have trained you into complacency, and now when an ultima level rpg shows up you are unprepaird for this level of intricacy.

of course i say this becuase i know, i did the exact same thing. I was actually impressed at the difficulty, i expected to waltz through this game, but was pleasantly suprised at the challange.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:23 pm
NSNightStalker
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Pack Rat

First, I will answer your question. The step about using the shovel is the last step. The step about looking under stones is the second step. You look under the stones in room 42 level 3. Then you could follow the next 4 steps to get to where you were under the ladder. I just thought I would save some time and skip to the last step instead. Now on to the title of this reply.

I am a pack rat! I saved EVERYTHING! I had every single bone I found. I ground up most of them, but I saved 5 bones just in case. They came in handy on level 2 of the Crypt (map level 5). I used them to trigger the traps. I have every note and book I found as well. As for the Akbaa rocks I used them to decorate my room. I only have two of them so far as I have not explored past map level 5. My room is a small armory. With bejeweled swords and shields occupying almost every available space on the floor. I have ten of every food item and atleast 3 of almost every other item I have come across in the game. I even use the barrels in the Crystal Caves on level 2 for storage.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:45 pm
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

decorating skills

NSNightStalker...thats hilarious...maybe you should invite Martha Stewart over to do a segment on your room...bet her fans have never seen anything like it...or any of those shows on the Home and Garden network...like Trading Spaces...or Room by Room...Annette Jennings...in fact maybe you'd consider my room in the castle as your next challenge...it's got a dead chicken with its head cut off on the bed...and a bloody Arx symbol on the wall that flashes...but seriously good advice...I have places around the different levels where I stash things Idon't have room for...it helps when you acquire the 3 level backpack later in the game...but even that is no match for your collection...

THE TAROT
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:22 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Bahaha, man, decorating your room with the akbaa rocks, that's priceless!

Is for it "being a challenge", I'm sorry, but keeping track of items you find ages ago without a clue as to what they're for isn't for a "good RPG". It's for a lame ass RPG looking for an excuse to prolong it's length in making innane fedex quests.

I love Arx but these "limitations" don't belong in there.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:22 am
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I agree with NSNightStalker here...
...I also saved pretty much everything never knowing what use I might have for a particular object. I also had joy in trying several things with several other things especially since they most of the time they DID WORK!

But I can see what Red is saying with the FedEx trips (which cracked me up, by the way ) but I personally think that throwing seemingly useless things around is NEVER a good idea in an RPG. That's the reason why you have a room with chests or barrels or whatever to stock stuff. I can see people hoping to get through the game quick enough and not wanting to go back to a certain place after they have gotten deep in an area, but I personally have a very different idea of an RPG. When I enter a game world and I like it (so I decide to play it through) I have no problem spending another 15 minutes going back to my room or reorganising my inventory to make space for new items. I trust an RPG is made richer with the possible items that it offers!

Also, another personal note is that I LOVE the world of Arx and I never got bored of taking objects back to my room in the castle, so there was no time wasted for me...
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:56 am
NSNightStalker
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Storage System

I have a storage system to help me find items quickly. Items that are important like extra potions and enchantable items are kept in my room which is next to the Transporter. In the Crystal Caves, I use one barrel as the food barrel. There are lots of mushrooms, rat ribs, and fish in that barrel among other food items. I use another barrel as a utility barrel for fishing rods, poles, rope, pieces of wood, torches, candles, etc. Another barrel serves as storage for potion ingredients (empty bottles, plants, powders, and bottles of powder) for potions that I cannot make yet, and the last barrel for questionable items.

I use my decapitated chicken as an unwelcome mat.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:58 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I use my room for items I don't want to lose or I know will need much later on (akba rocks mainly but I store the "Stealth" armours there for when it's needed too, as well as bow and arrows). I'm starting to fill the other chest with everything "normal" (ie armours and the like) which I can't sell because the damn shops are too full.

I use the alchemist's place for enchantment regaent stocking in the chest closest to the distiller, and the other chest for all the books and notes I find. Kind of an extention to the library . Though that chest is full now and I'm filling the other one...

I sell most extra food since there's plenty of it since the later patch - specially the apple pies which are worth a lot (compared to the ingredients they're made with anyway). I jsut keep myself fed with full chicken and bread (dunno why really).

For extra room I exploit the stacking but I found... I had ~120 bone dust in my inventory (again, in a single stack!). There are so many bones in the game I don't bother anymore leaving a stack in my regeant chest as I used to before.

I don't like the Crystal cave for stocking (used to use it for regeants and food in my previous game) because there's no teleporter on the level.

Then again the Arx levels are probably the longest to load, but there's just something about putting sutff in YOUR room.
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:50 am
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

stacking trick...

RED...I've printed out your stacking trick so I could try it in the game but I can't get it to work...nothing over 10...I must be doing something wrong...could you go thru it again ...mabye in a different way...it seems simple enough but it hasn't worked for me...and it's such a great trick...!

THE TAROT
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:54 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Well, I've pretty much refined it now... It might have not been explained properly in the first post.

a) take/make/put a stack in your inventory, any number (ideally 10 or more)
b) make a stack in a container (chest) of 9 or less
c) Put any other item in the container (I suggest a big one so it's easyer not to "miss it")
d) Grab the big stack (stack in step a) from your inventory onto the other item (item in step c)
e) repeat the process as needed

The stack should pile up on the smaller stack with both values added. I've continued my game and am up to 110 bone dust again (doing the crypt...)
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:34 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next