Hammer & Sickle: Review @ GamesFirst
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Hammer & Sickle: Review @ GamesFirst

The second <a href="http://www.gamesfirst.com/?id=1054" target="_blank">review</a> for Nival's 'Hammer & Sickle' we've tracked has a score of 3/5 and notes several issues but suggests fans of turn-based RPGs who have played NWN and KoTOR to death might find something to like...:<blockquote><em>The simple fact is, there is a fun game hidden underneath all of the aforementioned problems. Hammer & Sickle is really a cool little game. It has a lot going for it.
<br>
<br>First of all, there just aren't many turn-based RPGs out there these days. You have Neverwinter Nights and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I and II. Neverwinter Nights is a single character game, and you don't really get to control a decent-sized squad in regular in-game action in KOTOR. By the end of Hammer & Sickle it's possible to have six guys under your control.</em></blockquote>
Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:30 am

That reviewer is a moron.

Call NWN a Turn Based game and lose all credibility.

Bitch about the difficulty... same again...

Hammer & Sickle should be reviewed as a squad based TBS title, not an "rpg"...
Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:29 pm

Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I would agree with silent storm, silent strom sentinels being labelled as a squad tbs (as it is), but H&S is definitely an rpg. It just needs to be reviewed by someone who knows what an rpg is. And what a good game is.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:01 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
I would agree with silent storm, silent strom sentinels being labelled as a squad tbs (as it is), but H&S is definitely an rpg. It just needs to be reviewed by someone who knows what an rpg is. And what a good game is.
Have you played the entire game, or is this an assumption based on the demo and your knowledge os Silent Storm? Just wondering because of how authoratatively you are speaking.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:12 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Demo, and all the choices avialable in that, for my experience. And going off what someone I tend to have similar tastes with for the retail, or the retail russian version, who said the demo barley tips the iceberg of what the game has in store for choices, actions and inactions, having great impact on gameplay. And he also said some of the combats are a lot harder than anything seen is s2 or s3.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:25 pm
Shagnak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
That reviewer is a moron.

Call NWN a Turn Based game and lose all credibility.

Bitch about the difficulty... same again...

Unfortunately most "mainstream" review sites are filled with reviewers like this, who seem to know little about the genre.
As for difficulty, well I guess people are so used to having their hands held these days.

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Hammer & Sickle should be reviewed as a squad based TBS title, not an "rpg"...

Hell, I don't know.
I wouldn't want to get in an argument with Roqua about this.

But it has excellent (proper) TB combat, character development and choices that have repercussions later on in the game, so sounds more like the good old skool RPGs that I like than the colourless vapid pap that passes for RPGs these days.

I guess, until the full game proves otherwise, I'll call it an RPG for now.
(Gasp!! Roqua, we agree on something! )
Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:25 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I classify JA 1 and 2 as TBS's since there is a strategic element in it of gaining and holding territory. Like Noninangas ambition, romance of the three kingdoms, and all other TBS's. If it was to be made into, lets say, a pen and paper rp[g, you would have to take that whole important aspect out of the game or else it would be classified as a strategy game/ war game; like battlelust is for harn.

No matter what angle you come at it, H&S is an rpg. I guess the whole inaction impacting the game has been done in Fable, but that was really linear.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:09 am

I didn't know KOTOR and NWN were turn-based. Who is this guy that is reviewing? Moron. turn-based is JA2 and JA2, the x-come series minus apocolypse, Silent Storm, Sentinel, there aren't that many out there. Give the job to someone who is qualified.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:03 am

evil_lemming
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Indeed, NWN & KotOR are round based... I belive I'm getting a Review copy of H&S, when I review it I'll post the link so you can all pick holes in it too
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:54 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I didn't know KOTOR and NWN were turn-based. Who is this guy that is reviewing? Moron. turn-based is JA2 and JA2, the x-come series minus apocolypse, Silent Storm, Sentinel, there aren't that many out there. Give the job to someone who is qualified.

Millions of others out there. Toee, FO 1 and 2, the whole goldbox series, both buck rogers, realms of arkania series, most of the ultimas, darksun 1 and 2, por:romd, every spiderweb game, betrayal at krondor, all wizardries, M&M series, almost every console rpg until recently, almost all crpgs until they turned gay, and millions of games I've missed.

I would say that the majority of all crpgs ever made are TB.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:38 am
a polish guy from Latvia

I downloaded the demo. Game looked okey until the moment, where the old german forester told about an attack on US military base where the attackers corpse was found in russian uniform. The main character said, that the nazis used the same tactics before invading Poland in 1939. They improvised a polish attack on german customs office at the border. Russians would never want to provoke a war, he said.
The sad part is that developers forgot to mention that at the same time when germans invaded from west, russians invaded Poland from the east, and after dividing Poland, nazis marched alongside with communists in Warsaw.
The other sad thing is that russians were using the same method to provoke a war with Finnland alomost three month later on 30th of November.

I believe that most of the readers don't give a s**t, but this made me uninstal the game although it looked promising.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:47 pm

Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I understand why you would be angry, but you also have to take into account they are making a cold war game and really seem to try and not offend anyone, at least not too much. History continues to be rewritten. If it makes you feel better i didn't know what the hell they were talking about through most of the demo. And most of the dialogue choices were shots in the dark for me. Its still fun, as games are supposed to be. And i do not believe 100% historical accuracy was a goal of the game.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:06 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"Russians would never want to provoke a war, he said..........n 30th of November."
Sad news, I did not know this.

It must be simliar to how I feel about the 2 current horrible invasions the US president is conducting, under false pretences.
Most of us carry on in hopes that we can repair his destruction and hold him accoutable in a court of law (international or nationally).

If it is any easier in these situations, I try to realise that the protagonist represents the people (the humanity) not the leaders of of destruction.
In other words, he respresents how I would feel (since I am playing him and making desicions) if I were the Russian Captian.
So you actually get a chance to be a better Russian, than the leaders whom caused the suffering, it helps me anyway

Another possiblelity is that during the game the protagonist Russian Captian finds out he has been decieved (he truely believed Russia would not do it) and he must put some bad Russians in line as well as other offenders.

Thou I have not played this game yet and the reviews (as mentioned) are all over the chart.
I will most likely play this due to the lack of new RPGs currently available.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:39 am