Usergroups
Nwn-fun!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Codex77

Nwn-fun!

Hi!
I usually just lurk here, but I wanted to post a message on how much FUN I'm having, playing this game. The graphics are fun, the interface is intuitive, there are quests around every corner, the combat system is fun and it's just a great time. It's great to be able to feel like after two hours I've DONE something.(In Morrowind, I always feel like 6 hours minimum to get anything done

A few complaints are that you can't distribute loot to anyone else, and you can't equip the party members, and they get in the way frequently, but nothing that I had to reload about.
I'm not that far into it, but I'm having a blast. In fact, I gotta go

Has anyone else figured out a hidey hole to stash stuff? Does it disappear after a while?
Thanks,
Codex
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:16 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I suspect that any container will be enough to stash items permanently. They're static objects in the world.

There should be a way to see what equipment a hireling is using and upgrade it. Otherwise it doesn't matter if they're level 18... if they're still using a normal sword they can't kill anything...

I just got it an managed to play a few hours (enough to complete the prologue with three different characters) before bed. Looking forward to digging a little deeper today...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:12 pm
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
I just got it an managed to play a few hours (enough to complete the prologue with three different characters) before bed. Looking forward to digging a little deeper today...

I read between the lines that it doesn't cover totally your expettations... maybe just a first impression and you don't want to talk about it yet... or am i wrong?
=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:20 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Upon reading another post here from Xen, I think he's enjoying it totally But I'll let him answer that!

As for myself, I played through the prologue last night as well. The tutorials are nice to get you familiar with the interface. But anyone who has played a Baldur's Gate game in its entirety will totally feel at home here. The only difference is the 3D, and that isn't bad! The story is standard Bioware fare, which means that it seems deep and intriguing from the get-go. Graphics are nice, especially the shadow effects! I wish Morrowind had the same nice shadow effects, wow! All in all, think Dungeon Siege with an actual story and good character development and customisation. I won't say anymore as I haven't nearly played enough to really have an opinion yet. But my first impressions so far are very good
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:55 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Quite the contrary.. character generation was quite a bit smoother than I expected, and the 3e ruleset is implemented very nicely. My monk with a skill focus in parry was a wrecking machine when set to parry... blocked a dozen hits before dropping a goblin with a counter attack kick. The animation graphics on monks are great. I charged a goblin and I think I drop kicked the sucker. Punches and kicks were flying everywhere when I dropped into the middle of a pack of skeletons...

I have to replay the prolouge again because I have to de-Morrowind myself. I find myself ignoring NPCs, skipping over their text, and looking for keywords. *smacks self*

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:17 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Quite the contrary.. character generation was quite a bit smoother than I expected, and the 3e ruleset is implemented very nicely. My monk with a skill focus in parry was a wrecking machine when set to parry... blocked a dozen hits before dropping a goblin with a counter attack kick. The animation graphics on monks are great. I charged a goblin and I think I drop kicked the sucker. Punches and kicks were flying everywhere when I dropped into the middle of a pack of skeletons...

I have to replay the prolouge again because I have to de-Morrowind myself. I find myself ignoring NPCs, skipping over their text, and looking for keywords. *smacks self*

Never played a monk... do you think it is a viable class in NWN?
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:18 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

This is 3e... all classes are viable if you know what you're doing. I just love 3e monks because they get a new power every level.

They've done some 'adjusting' to some classes to make them more playable... the bard songs are more powerful than they are in pen and paper and they have some better spells (they needed both), the Ranger gets the druid woodland stride (which makes SO much sense that I think I'll write it into my pen and paper campaign), and druids are just insane.

Though if you're truly limited to a single character + hireling AND you can't upgrade their equipment, all classes but cleric and wizard are in for a rough ride... time will tell.

Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:25 pm
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The Monk animation is pretty sweet and while I liked the Morrowind creation process, this one is very unoffensive and that's good. Nice touches added in..(dieties don't do squat, but still cool)...

I like what Xen is doing, get a feel for a few characters early before you dig into the meat of the plot...wish I had done that in BG2...would've saved myself 20 hours
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:07 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Well, I got around to playing it for about 12 hours today (multiplayer custom modules mainly). I like the multiplay a lot. People, even in the roleplaying servers, tend to treat it like dungeon siege or diablo... but it's getting better. Watching a barbarian explode when he ran into a pack of four zombines on a no respawning server from attacks of opportunity after I TOLD him not to RUN into the room was fun.

Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:06 am