Why I never finished it, and a question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Elco
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Why I never finished it, and a question

I never finished W8. Although I thought the combat was kinda cool, I got tired of it.

The reason is I could not escape it for 5 minutes in the game. If I just wanted or need to travel 1 map over, I had to fight dozens of battles over and over. and the battles are all very long.

The combat was neat, and suprisingly strategic, but It got tiresom hzaving to fight a 5-10 minute battle every 5 feet of travel. and then fight the same battles on the way back.

was there a patch, or mod that limited the fighting? at the point in the game that I think I have my backed up saves Im at least 3/4 hrough the game But I just couldnt take 1 more battle.
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:45 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Use of portal spells and teleporters will dramatically reduce your exposure to random encounters.

The combat never really goes away, and yes, even for huge fans can get a little tedious at times.

I'm not aware of any mods that will reduce the amount of combat. Changing the difficulty to "novice" will make the battles go much quicker. There is a mod called "WizFast" that alters the monster's movement rate. You can crank it up so that you don't wait hours for those 10 juggernauts to lumber away in retreat. If you would like to try that, drop me an email, and I will reply back with the file attached, along with some brief instructions.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:56 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I never heard of such a mod, and yes, long battles are the reason I made a pause in playing for 2 months. I finished Wiz8 occasionally and I had a great time! You just have to get used to those battles...

As for modifications. Try going to the best specialized Wiz8 forum out there and asking those guys. Couple of times they helped me on really difficult issues.

Address will be: http://www.softwarespecialties.com/cgi-bin/rpgforum/dcboard.cgi

Hope it helps
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:06 pm
otter
One of Us

There are a lot of places where you can avoid battles, esp if you have X-Ray. You can also run away from almost everything--they'll give up and retreat after a couple rounds of running. Combat also goes faster once you get some better weapons, magic, and skills. And, wherever you can, stay off the roads.
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:00 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

As Otter says, You can run away from almost every battle, not only during battles, but more important also before a battle begin. Use the xray spell as mentioned and keep your eyes on the radar, when you move around. As soon you as you see any reed dots on the radar, You should move your party no less than 45 degrees in another direction than the monsters in double speed (Running: Shift-forward buttons). I have crossed many areas without one single, and a few with only 1 battle, with this tactic. Also note than many of the monsters do move around in more or less bigger routes, so sometimes a little waiting also can clear the road. But as already mentioned in a tip above, stay away from the road, eyes on the radar and a finger ready on the run button. Running will make you loose a lot of stamina, and sooner or later you will need to rest to get your stamina up again. You can use the restore all stamina spell, or start resting. If you rest, it's important to note that the monsters you just have been running away from, most likely will intercept your rest, if you make a full rest! But already after one or two realtime seconds from starting resting, your characters will be back will full stamina, so abort the rest after 1-2 seconds, and you can proceed will full stamina. Last resort is just to wait 15-30 seconds without doing nothing, and your characters will build up stamina again!
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:20 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Elco, are you playing the game on Novice or higher? I, for one, shamelessly admit that I still run the game on Novice despite havin' conquered it a few times already. The difficulty between Normal and Novice is quite profound that you'll find yourself flat on your back by a bunch of bandits even if your back is to the wall. Though it's true that you can run and use X-ray to avoid certain fights, they do indeed seem to come up out of the ground at times. But playing on Novice will sometimes make battles so easy, however, that you'll almost crave a fight after a while.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:20 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I must admit that I never quite finished Wiz8 mostly because of the frequent combat, much as I otherwise enjoyed it. I did plan to get back to it but with so many titles and so little time...
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:19 am
otter
One of Us

good holiday gift for yourself: A Wiz-8 Finish!
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:59 pm
Dhruin

I've started building a NWN module which will take a lot of time, but that's not a bad idea.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:27 am
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

Shameless novice

I started my fourth team and they are so weak that I changed to novice on the Arnika road till they get stronger. My last team went the whole way on normal. I have only 5 members this time with an Alchemist.Not planning ahead I hope they get stronger. Bard, Monk,Gadgetteer,fighter, ranger, and Alchemist, well that's 6 I forgot!Lvl 7 on Arnika road. I have to learn my team well to survive this game. The Bard can save your bacon. "Any team can beat this game " If your real good or real lucky!
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:09 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I will repeat what was written above and probably add something new:

- running + radar - this is certain way how to run away from nearly all combats
- there is spell that will reveal location of enemies to you - then it is even easier to run away
- there is patch called Wiz8fast, it should work without problems and it makes fights quicker (it does nothing with difficulty, number of fights or number of oponents), I can send this mod to you
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:28 pm
Elco
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

thanks for the replies.

No I was not playing on novice, so the battles were mostly all challengin.

I have tried running away, but they never seem to give up, and if they are in front of my destination it is difficult to impossible to get around them

My party was quite powerfull which made the battles even more annoying because of their frequency.

If I do decide to give it another shot, I will definitly use that hack and set it to novice.

thanks again.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:42 pm
otter
One of Us

In wilderness-type places, you can usually make a big circle, dragging whatever's between you and your destination around until they're behind you. This even works with the crabs by the pagoda at the beginning.
Mobs break off and retreat much sooner on novice if you're running in combat. Some things never stop chasing you, and some are faster enough they'll catch you, even on novice.
But if you evade whenever you can, you'll have about 1/4 the battles, i think.
I'm generally looking for them, myself...
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:19 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

The nonstop combat was one reason I dropped the game early on; it just seemed to go on and on.

However, I've never played a game that rewards the player for persistence like Wizardry 8. Keep at the game, be persistent, explore thoroughly to get the best e.q., get some good characters, be smart about what equipment you use and how you train, and frankly for me, from mid-game onwards, I was actually enjoying the battles because they had become so short. My characters had become very good fighters and had nice equipment and the battles were, for the most part, EASY.

Yeah, I know what you're saying, the first 5 or 10 hours of Wiz 8 are pretty tedious, but sticking with the game until the end is rewarding, and you won't always have to deal with the lengthy battles you encounter in the beginning levels.
Post Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:00 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
Yeah, I know what you're saying, the first 5 or 10 hours of Wiz 8 are pretty tedious, but sticking with the game until the end is rewarding, and you won't always have to deal with the lengthy battles you encounter in the beginning levels.
The worst part for me was going from Arnika to Trynton. Lots of those battles could be avoided, but that just isn't my style. Lots of battles for a zone that has no purpose other than being between where you are and where you want to go.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:34 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next