Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Hey! Let's chat stealing and stuff. . . .
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Hey! Let's chat stealing and stuff. . . .

Hi all! Been a while since I peeked in here.

Been through quite a lot actually. Got kicked out of my house and then got married. Heh. Been a whirlwind couple O months! LOL!

Anyways, in the move I found my NWN manual that I had lost a while back. (See Val! Thhhrrrrfffpt! ) Heh, which brought me to wonder exactly what you guys consider software theft?

First, I will say again that IMO I feel that shareware in most forms is iffy. It's one thing if it's from the company that made the product and they say "Here, have a free trial, sample, demo or whatever." But it's different if you download from someones computer a game or stuff.

The reason why I ask this is because I have been searching through my computer and have found several files that are not mine and I have no software for. You see, this computer was used by my EX and a friend of his or two. My Ex owned it and gave it to me. I have been in control of it from the beginning but have had to allow his friends to use it when he asks. (Trials and tribs of relationshiphood.) Anyway, I know one person used a site called karmaa or something and DL'd a lot of things. When I found them I would delete them. The thing is that I'm still finding them. I found A Zoo program with Marine Mania and a game called collapse. I deleted them but it still makes me feel icky.

I do have one that I kept but only because I went to Fry's and bought the program. It's that Fish screensaver. I love that! I bought it for $20 and deleted and re-installed it. The downloads from the site make it great!

Anyway, back to my inquiry: When is sending and receiving files, be it music, games, and such legal?

For instance: I have several mp3 clips that are from friends. I was looking for a song or clip and soem from sites that had them available for download? How far does the legalities go?

I don't want to cause a heated debate or anything but I am curious as to everyones opinion. I started wondering when I got that tongue lashing from Val a ways back, when I lost my NWN manual. Heh, what a way to enter a community!

Ok, so talk to me.

-=>Loyal Member of the NFG<=-

"In the end, a shadow is only a passing thing."
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:01 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Hi and welcome back. Congrats on the marriage.

To answer your question: Sharing is caring.

I don't necessarily mean that you should crack games and throw them out on the internet for thousands of people to grab but sharing among friends is fine with me.

Although, I read an article that claims mp3 downloading isn't as bad as the music industry would have us believe.

Here is a piece from the article:

quote:
The fabulously named Harvard Business School professors Felix Oberholzer-Gee and Koleman Strumpf issued a study recently in which they tracked sales of 680 albums over a 17-week period in 2002. They found that file sharing increases the sales of best-selling albums (of 600,000 copies-plus). They attribute this to the fact that music customers like music, and the more they hear, the more they buy.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:29 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Having an illegal copy or two is no big deal. Grab whatever you want. Life is too short to worry about all that ship. Just don't get caught. I hope music industry all go bankrupt, then musicians with real talent will get a chance to be heard. There are lots of really good musicians in the place I live (St. Paul, MN) I go to Dakota bar and grill to listen to them live regularly and buy their CD's from their concerts.

Oh, another thing. Buying anything made by microsoft instead of copying is considered immoral. If you have ever done that, may Innos forgive you.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:30 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I live in Mounds View, it's a small world, isn't it?

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:54 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Korplem
I live in Mounds View, it's a small world, isn't it?

Holy balls! I went to Mounds View high school. I am probably about 10 years older than you though.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:57 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

May I point out that the policy here is that NO piracy is condoned. People worked hard to produce a piece of software, or a game and they deserve to be compensated. Piracy not only robs them, but YOU as well. When people pirate games instead of buying them, then sales are down and the company can't afford to make any more games. Consider this. Would you work long hours for no pay? When you support piracy, that's in effect what you're telling developers to do!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:03 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Downloading music isn't so bad, just don't go crazy, downloading everything.
Downloading cracked games is bad. Already small developers can't get the games published and when everybody just downloads the games then the companies will cease to exist. And you know, the smaller the developer, the better the game. So the best games will disappear first.

Last edited by Sem on Sun May 02, 2004 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:33 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I always buy games. Even if my friends burn them for each other I will buy for myself.

Most of my MP3s are songs I own on tape or distributed content. Not all, however. I freely admit this and without penalty or retribution because downloading of copywrited music is legal in Canada (before I get whomped). It's the sharing of said music that is illegal, which I do not do.

This is because shared music is public domain, like all the internet... no different than hearing a song on the radio station and taping it on a tape recorder. Sharing the music is illegal, however, because unlike radio stations and tv stations the sharer of the music did not pay for mass distribution rights and is therefore affecting the income of the artist/artists in question.

That is the legality of it in Canada, roughly.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:39 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

I'm an emphatic "NO" on the sharing of games and software that isn't offered by the company itself, but it's my mp3's I feel iffy on.

Many I downloaded from websites but the rest were given to me by friends. Now, it's true that many songs I already have on cd so that's ok but for instance: I was looking for a song for my business. I did not want to buy the album because I was only going to use a sound bite from the song. My friend had it. I think he has everything. And I used it. There it sits. I listen to it maybe once a year or so. I used it one more time other than the first. I don't feel guilty about it but then I tend to wonder.

I dunno. I agree with the article in a way. Most mp3's I have I have turned around and purchased the cd's if I wanted them.

A lot of the songs I have are just silly though. I have a lot of Animaniacs sound bites and such. Old songs, silly songs. Things that are hard to find. Then I have maNY THAT i LOVE AND ADORE AND HAVE THE CD'S FOR. (Note to future keyboard designers: Move the damn 'caps' key!)

So, game sharing is another thing. I believe.............Heh, there's an episode of ER on and there are "Cheerleaders On Acid." That would be a great band name wouldn't it? LOL!.......Anyway, I believe game and software using is a bad thing. I agree with what Corwin said.

-=>Loyal Member of the NFG<=-

"In the end, a shadow is only a passing thing."
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:12 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

I feel the same way Corwin does. If I was a software developer that had invested countless hours into making a game or program. I would be gutted to see how little profit I had made from my work. As a result of this, the prices of games go up, I can't buy as many games as I want and the devs lose out on deserved cash. Besides, I'd prefer a game in a nice box with all the manuals over a some cheap copy any day.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:22 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I buy all games and software I own, except rise of nations, windows, MS office. You know those are developed by what company. I don't care how hard they work. They ain't getting a penny from me.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:18 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Just remember, M$ isnt always the developer of the games they publish. They arent the only ones you are ripping off.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:35 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

quote:
Originally posted by Joeman
I buy all games and software I own, except rise of nations, windows, MS office. You know those are developed by what company. I don't care how hard they work. They ain't getting a penny from me.

You're kidding, right? You want their products but not pay for them? If you don't like Microsoft (and I can uderstand that) then follow through with that - don't use them!
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:28 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
You're kidding, right? You want their products but not pay for them? If you don't like Microsoft (and I can uderstand that) then follow through with that - don't use them!

Dude I can't run a single damn program without requiring some sort of microsoft product. Yeah sure, I can use Linux and use star office, but it's easier said than done. If someone send me an excel file, I don't know if I can even open it. Microsoft is a monopoly as far as I am concerned. I don't "want" their product, but I can't live without it. There is a difference. Anyways, again, I just don't care.

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
Just remember, M$ isnt always the developer of the games they publish. They arent the only ones you are ripping off.

*shrug* Collateral damage I suppose.
Post Sat May 01, 2004 7:10 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

@Temptress- Karmaa? I think you mean Kazaa. And since you had Kazaa I would suggest that you wipe your hard drive and start over (back up everything important to disks). I had Kazaa and it screwed our computer over.
@Joeman- You shouldn't download games, you should buy them. Think of all the work the devs put into the game just to have you pirate it and think you're the cleverest person alive.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun May 02, 2004 3:06 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next