Usergroups
Baron Von Xen has moved mostly online
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

EVE is the best MMROPG out there at the moment in my opinion. The graphics really lend to the atmosphere. Better than X2's, I think.

I very nearly burnt out on EVE last year but in the last few months CCP have got their act together. I agree that there is a "slow" pace ....but in fact this feels right for the type of game that it is.

Losing a ship can be devastating, particularly to a new player. It would be like coming home from work to find your house has burnt down. And you never had insurance. This need for great care in your actions provides the game with a sense of danger and gives the game an edge. But you can stay in relatively safe areas all the time if you wish. The game provides choice.

At the moment I'm a freelancer, like many veterans in the game. Corp life can be fun ..... but like all MMROPGs you need to have a lot of time free to participate in group activities. I have 4 battleships ....so I don't feel particularly needy, and you don't want to get within 70km of me if I'm in a bad mood.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:02 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Four battleships? Good lord... I'm having a hard enough time saving up for a Rupture to upgrade my Stabber.

It really is a blast. I wish I had more time to play it... right now I've got 365,000 points of skills and have been playing for a few weeks... and have only a fraction of the cash I could/should. Perhaps 200k a day made, with the initial mining marathon weekend when I signed up making 3 million (which I spent to the last penny on skills and frigates.... mostly skills).

Grouping up does take time... not the least is travel time. Traveling 5 jumps takes me at least 5 minutes, even if I use a Rifter I've geared to do 800 m/s.

But I'm experimenting and dropping a 100mn afterburner with 100,000,000 kg of thrust onto my fraction-of-100,000-tonnes Stabber when I get home... see if that speeds it up approaching a gate and station.

*fwooosh* "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:38 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Yeah ....travelling can take a long time in EVE. For instance, when I was in a corp we used to do deep-space mining expeditions way out in non-empire space. I was usually on combat patrol ...and therefore in a smaller, more nimble ship. Even so, it still took ages to travel to the destination and back. Well over an hour each way. Whole evenings and weekends can just disappear as a result of taking part in an expedition.

Regards money etc. When you first start, ISK means everything. You are desperate to make as much as you can, to buy better ships, equipment etc. There comes a point though when you realise there is more to this game than monetary gain. Invariably for most people, that point is when they have gained their first battleship. With one of my battleships equipped with mining lasers I can pull in approx 2 million ISK/hr. I no longer think about money ....I just mine when I need it.

Politics, being part of alliances or a corp, and conflict is the real heart of this game. That is what will keep yor interest in the long term ( I hope ..).
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:20 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Well, at the rate I'm going it will take me 600+ days of play every day to get a battleship. I've never spent more than six months in a MMORPG, let alone two years to save up for something that can be taken down by two or three frigates. A little disheartening and daunting.

Guess I better get used to the way my Stabber looks. My second Stabber, as two player pirate Kestrels in a .4 jumped me in a belt while I was guarding someone mining last night. Destroyed 'em both but screwed up my timing with my smartbomb and failed to detonate the last volley of six cruise missiles. I was webbed right away so my 500 m/s speed couldn't get me to a safer distance.

Some nice people in the community, though. My insurance covered the ship loss and even had enough left over to replace core systems (and the miner grabbed what stuff of mine survived the explosion for me)... but couldn't begin to replace the 1.4 million isk insurance. I asked for a loan of 1.4 million, offering to pay back 1.6 million over the course of a week... not really expecting a response, but someone did loan me the money and said 'pay as you can, don't worry about interest.

So if I don't get much time in play and only make 200k in one day I don't have to pay my entire day's work... but I'd always pay something substancial anyways.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:17 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I'd say it takes most players, starting from scratch without any help, approximately 3 months to save up enough money for a low grade battleship.

But ...battleships aren't the be-all-and-end-all in EVE. In fact many players prefer to fly in cruisers and frigates even though they may have a hangar full of battleships at hand. The smaller ships travel a lot faster and have a better chance of running a blockade. They are also easily replaceable. A small group of players flying frigates can kill a battleship. Just needs teamwork. If you lose the frigate...it's pocketchange. If you lose a battleship its millions gone.

The other consideration is skills. To pilot a battleship well, you really need good skills. There is no shortcut to gaining these. You just have to bide your time. I'm a good pilot ( not too boastful I hope ! ) because I learnt how to fly the smaller craft first before advancing to the bigger more demanding ships. I now have over 12 million skill points. You'll find that most battleships destroyed ( and cruisers ) belong to noobs. If a noob in a Scorpion battleship comes against me in my Scorpion he will likely lose ...badly. Not because I'm great, but because my skillset is vastly superior. Skills are vital to success in this game, as well as being savvy.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:44 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I want a battleship because it suits my character. I have no delusions of 'uberness' with it... which is why it's disheartening that it will take me more than a year to get. I make 240k an hour mining scorite in a stabber, or 180 to 360k an hour doing level 2 combat missions (depends on distance travelled). I'm lucky if I can squeeze two hours in a day, and the battleship I want (Minmatar Typhoon... don't like the look of the Tempest) is 80 million. Plus insuarance and equipment and skills.

I've got another character who will fly frigates and interceptors for the same reason - the character aspect - if I bother working on him. A much more financially feasible goal.... but I really wanted that battleship.

What's your name in game?

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:53 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

My name in-game is Shill DeGruin. I'm not online a lot these days either. With 2 hrs gametime you should be able to pull in about 1 million isk in a Stabber. So .....80 days before your ship.

The best cruiser for mining is a Thorax since it can equip 5 mining lasers, however a Stabber is a pretty decent alternative. You may want to learn how to fly an industrial ship ( and buy one ...) because it's very handy being able to haul your own ore. This saves on time flying back and forth between a base and asteroid field with your Stabber ( just beware of can-thieves ! ).

I'm Minmatar too . But I now fly Gallente and Caldari ships. I refuse to fly Amarrian .....since they are swine ..errrr the enemy. Take your time enjoying the game. Don't let the 80 million goal hang like a noose round your neck. Think about getting a Rupture ...I loved flying that cruiser, and still do from time to time. I fly my battleships purely out of laziness now. It's more of a buzz flying a less robust ship.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:32 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I have considered dipping into my money and buying Minmatar Industrial and getting a Hoarder to deploy giant cans for mineral depositing.

As for can thieves... I only use secure cans. Even if I can't anchor them in .8 or higher sectors a person should still have to enter a password to access them if I set them to 'launch for self', right?

500k an hour... I could live with that income, but it's not the way things are currently. Sometimes it's close... accepting only kill missions within a 0 jump range can get me anywhere from 60 to 80 thousand in 10 minutes... but occasionally there's a really crappy mission where it takes a half hour and three hundred 50 damage or higher hits with my 720s to destroy a pirate worth 8000.... one pirate in Particular: Sarrah. Time killer.

Rupture is what I'm saving for. I have nearly 3 million isk and could self destruct my Stabber for the remaining 4 million easy, but then I'd be broke again, unable to pay its insurance, and the Rupture has a cargo hold of 100 units less so isn't as cool for mining... into itself. I guess it's about the same for mining into a deployed secure can. Hmm.... perhaps a hauler for my 'downtime mining days' isn't a bad idea.

Post Sat May 01, 2004 4:07 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Haulers are cheap, and pretty much essential to a freelancer who's looking to shift large quantities of ore.

I don't think secure containers can be "anchored" in 0.7+ sec space now. I think CCP changed it so "noob" zones wouldn't get exploited by large corporations. But, yes anchor some giant secure containers somewhere safe and use bookmarks to cut down on travel between points.

Tip: When creating a bookmark to a jumpgate etc, initially fly past it in a direct line by approx 11km , then create the bookmark. You will find that each time you use the BM from now on you will land almost on top of the object .....usefull for running blockades at gates. Gives the enemy no chance of locking you down.

For longer dangerous routes ....BM each jump. Place all the BM's in a folder for ease of use. Saves a lot of time .....and risk.
Post Sat May 01, 2004 7:26 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2