Elveon Announced
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elveon Announced

Sporting such marketing phrases as "fantasy action epic", 10TACLE Studios has <a href="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=10881" target="_blank">announced</a> 'Elveon' - an action-RPG of sorts featuring (you guessed it!) elves:<blockquote><em>Darmstadt, 17 August 2005: With the world premiere of "Elveon" the current project of 10TACLE STUDIOS Slovakia is unveiled on the Games Convention in Germany. Since a year the forty people team led by Juergen Reusswig and Slavo Hazucha has been working on the development of this epic action game with a vengeance. The game is supposed to be released for PC and next generation consoles in the summer of 2007. <br> <br>"Elveon" means "The book of elves" and is based on a comprehensive fantasy saga which goes back to the times of the rise of the advanced Elvish civilization. The gods have left the world of Naon in a rush, it is the place they had wanted to transform into their paradise. The Neamas, the elves of the ancient times and fellows of the gods have remained there all alone. A smouldering conflict is gaining more and more importance and a new era starts which is marked by envy, malevolence and relentless wars that prevent the gods' descendants from entering upon their inheritance. <br> <br>The player - as an intrinsic part of the captivating story - can develop freely according to his disposition in the role of a charismatic hero of this epos and he can determine his development. He can only achieve his objective, the fulfilment of the prophecy – namely the liberation of the city of Nimathar - as the mightiest warrior of Naon because this task is normally made for a god.</em></blockquote>You can grab an action-packed trailer from <a href="http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096482539/" target="_blank">3D Gamers</a>, <a href="http://www.gamershell.com/news/24036.html" target="_blank">Gamers Hell</a> and <a href="http://" target="_blank">Worthplaying</a>.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:52 am
r3dshift

This trailer is extremely poor in terms of dramaturgy and sentiments (or rather the lack of those). It feels too sterile, and gives no clue as to what the game is going to look like.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:53 am

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I also donīt like the trailer. Boring and soulless.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:12 pm
yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Get used to it, folks. Crappy Eastern European games and quarterly expansions to The Sims 2 are the twin futures of PC gaming. Thank goodness it's not on the decline.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:46 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Rejoice! Another RPG with pointy-eared people and a story I've seen only a thousand times in movies, books, and games.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:38 am
r3dshift

quote:
Originally posted by yeesh
Get used to it, folks. Crappy Eastern European games and quarterly expansions to The Sims 2 are the twin futures of PC gaming. Thank goodness it's not on the decline.

I must counter that. Just think of the upcoming "The Witcher", an utterly ambitious project. And let's not forget the ground-breaking "Operation Flashpoint", either. (Yeah, I know it ain't an RPG, but anyway, that's a huge game.)

And there are many crappy Western European/American games too, and not rarely from big labels/developers.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:54 pm

10TACLE? That's an... interesting name.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:34 pm

XVampireX
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

http://news.softpedia.com/news/10TACLE-license-Unreal-Engine-3-for-Elveon-6619.shtml

Someone post these news...
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:49 pm
Mystery_Guy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by yeesh

So I guess Gothic 1&2 weren't even worth mentioning and are to be lumped in with the other so-called "Crappy" games. Fair enough, though honestly I can't see how anyone could pass off all European RPGs as garbage, especially since the Gothic fan community is partly responsible for the popularity of this site of which you are posting on.

The Witcher is just a small portion of the heaping helping of gaming goodness PC gamers will be getting soon. Don't forget ES4 Oblivion, Fallout 3, Cthulu, Hellgate, Bioshock, Dragonshard, and of course...Gothic 3. These are all games just pulled off the top of my head, given time I could dig up more that I probably haven't even heard about yet.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:50 pm

The gothic serie is from an extremelly talented bunch from Germany, and as far as i know Germany isn't located in eastern europe, but rather in a well placed central position.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:24 pm

yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Back when I was a child, there were 2 Germanys, one Eastern European and one Western European. Nowadays there's just one, and I think most folks consider it Western. Thus, Gothic wasn't even on my mind.

Furthermore, I don't mean to say that any area produces entirely crappy games, or at least I wouldn't say that any area is only capable of producing crappy games in the future (because there are some places with pretty abysmal track records (*cough* Korea)).

To elaborate on what I originally posted, it is clear to me even barring statistical data that the percentage of both big budget sequels and shoddy Eastern European games are increasing in terms of what's coming down the pipe relative to the percentage of those rare gems I like to call "good games".

Oblivion is primarily an XBox 360 launch title as you well know, Fallout 3 (which I was of course very excited to finally hear confirmed) is way, way, way far away, Cthulu games have a pretty mixed history although I have my fingers crossed, Hellgate is hopefully going to rock me like Amadeus but the purists here aren't going to dig it, Bioshock I'll have to research, Dragonshard is a flippin RTS, and Gothic III is I'm pretty sure a sequel. Where are the new RPGs? Or at least, where's my Jagged Alliance 3? Oh, both in the hands of E. European developers who we want to love, but don't seem to be able to cut it.

As an aside, I have to say that I actually like the mindset of E. European gamers much better than American ones. This is why the suckiness hurts me so much. Over there, they have a trillion JA2 websites, and we have like one. They KNOW the importance of having 50 different assault rifles in your RPG, and we've somehow lost our way. We'll see how Fallout III works. Sometime in frickin 2007.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:48 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I was left really flat by that trailer - it didn't do anything to interest me in the game. It isn't the first person action feel that bugs me - it just felt pointless and uninspired ... crap even the Dungeon Lords trailer gave me a sense of purpose, and we all know how ... well, the less said the better ...

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:32 pm
Mystery_Guy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Elitists are killing the hobby

Yeesh, are you always this negative?

Passing ES:4 off as an xbox port? Forgetting that Dragonshard is an RTS/RPG hybrid like Spellforce?

You know, it's negative types like you that bring the hobby down. I could name a thousand more games (The Fall, Arx Fatalis 2, Divine Divinity 2,) But I know your type, and your type wouldn't even care.

You are an elitist. You turn up your nose at everything because you believe you are too cool, too hip, and too intelligent to bother with something as base or "unfulfilling" as a major, mainstream CRPG. You'd much rather play a game only 7 other people have heard about, and whose entire development team consists of 5 middle aged men who are more of an elitist then you.

That's essentially what's wrong with PC Gaming. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The fans are killing the hobby. I was once friends with a certain well-known woman who worked in the gaming industry, and she told me that, quote, "There is no pleasing these people because if the game doesnt (expletive deleted) their (expletive deleted), then they won't like it at all."

Be unhappy then Yeesh. Cry about it, whine, and retreat to Devil Whiskey and Geneforge sequels. Before all of you go, however, every elitist should know one thing. Behind the forum posts and the office doors, the company men who make those games are fed up with you...and have abandoned you. Learn to like what they make, or leave.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:27 am
yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes, I am always this negative, but it seems you're not all that clear on my type. I'm the one arguing here time and time again for a more inclusive definition of CRPG, and I'm the one trying to explain the addictive beauty of a game like Diablo to a people who've secretly never forgiven developers for switching from pure keyboard controls to actually using the mouse a decade ago and people who think the definition of "twitch" and "click-fest" gaming is ANYTHING that isn't turn-based.

Of course, we're all entitled to our opinions. But you should probably save your "elitist" tag for someone who hasn't recently completed Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.

I'm looking forward to The Fall. Did you even read my post? But while I'm excited about it's trappings, reviews do seem to indicate a lack of depth to the combat system, and the game in general. I'll still buy it, so stop yelling at me. The other games you mention are sequels. See the pattern?

The notion that the fans are killing the hobby would be didactic and over-simplified if it weren't for its more immediate failing of being completely untrue. You suggest here that PC gamers are getting more discriminating while console gamers continue to devolve? It seems to me instead that the more discriminating gamers are being stranded on the PC while gamers (such as myself) open to enjoying a wider variety of games are embracing the consoles as well, because that's where more and more games are. But this is PC gamer's faults? I don't think so. Rising development costs coupled with explosive growth in the sales of consoles and console games means that a developer who needs to turn a profit would be shooting itself in the foot to choose to focus on PC gaming.

Unless of course the developer is somewhere across the world where labor is cheap. But then what if they put out lousy games, like say Metalheart: Replicant's Rampage? If I understand your argument correctly, ("Learn to like what they make, or leave."), it's the duty of gamers to recalibrate their definition of lousy until the games are good. I do not agree.

Of course there's no pleasing people on Internet bulletin boards. But I assure you that the only star guiding the game developers today is sales figures, and the console gamers are a bigger group spending more money. That's the long and short of why PC gaming is on the decline. I am not a factor.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:35 pm
Shevek

"Forgetting that Dragonshard is an RTS/RPG hybrid like Spellforce? "

Actually its a poorly done Warcraft 3 clone with very bad AI
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:58 am