Are MMORPGs worth it?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Skywarp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Are MMORPGs worth it?

I recently cancelled my account to WoW partly because I not going to have the time to
play an MMORPG like I thought. Another reason that's been itching at me is the part of the community that acts immature. Maybe I’m just being too snesitive but it seems that there’s a good-sized chunk of people in Wow that are taking things over the top.

Before I go on, my intention is not to whine. I can deal with getting ganked or losing duels. I chose a PvP environment and I expected that to happen to some degree. I played on a low population server and have only been ganked a handful of times so I have no grounds to go there anyway. It’s also been a while since I played video games like I used to so I’m not going to be as good as someone that plays every weekend and evening.

I also understand that in a game as popular as WoW, you’re always going to have someone out there that understands hiding behind the Internet lets them get away with being rude and treating people badly.

I’m also not an un-humorous old coot like some have accused me of in Blizz’s forums. If you want, search for a “Soundwave” or “Skywarp” from the Stormscale(U.S.) realm on these forums and see for yourself the stupid crap I’ve posted. I’m only 30. I don’t spend my time yelling at kids for riding their skateboards on the sidewalk. This may sound asinine to say, but I have no problem with any age group playing video games with me. My issue is with immaturity, not age.

I’ve spent two months in game and a little bit in the official forums seeing all of this behavior unfold. This includes players coming to our server from others when Blizz shut down more popular ones to fix lag issues and comments from some of the people in guilds I’ve been involved in. If it’s irritating in a low pop server, why would I want to experience this on high pop ones. I can understand why some people have suggested a blacklist feature. I’m too lazy to link to that thread, but you can search for yourself.

Despite all of this I’ve had some positive experiences come out of this and I do want to try more MMORPGs or maybe even come back to WoW in the future when I have more time. My question is does WoW just happen to attract more people like this than other games? Are my expectations of behavior unrealistic for any MMORPG?
Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:10 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm afraid this will happen to you in every big-scale easily accessible online games, all the annoying immature idiots are drawn to these games like flies. The best way to keep this kind of games fun for yourself is to join up with a clan/guild with nice people who think the same about things as you do and ignore all these guys who itch you. In my case this ´tactic´ works really good

If you are looking for a mmorpg with less of these immature players you should try and find an older or less popular game, also games which are harder to learn will have less of these punks and much people who really play because they like to and not because it is a good way to anonymously insult people. I should ask around a bit for mmorpgs with a nice community because i´m sure these excist.

And if you hang round on these boards a bit you will soon notice that the gamers who post here are very nice people. (or the moderators do extremely good work behind de scenes) I think this is because roleplaying-gamers are generally a bit more grown up then the big part of the mmorpg community and because unpleasant people simply won´t feel at home on this boards.
Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:53 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Any online game is going to attract angels and devils. For instance, I played A Tale in the Desert for about a year and met a ton of great people, but I also met some devious, exploitive jerks. Granted, people like that were vastly out-numbered by the nice community, but they exist in every game. As tolgerias said, you just need to find some like-minded people to play with. You'll have fun and make some good friends. And eventually, the immature idiots disappear when the next big shiny thing comes along that catches their attention.
Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:06 pm
Otec Lightstrider
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Depends on the game, of course. WoW isnt worth it, but some games, like Star Wars Galaxies, are. Ive played both casually and intensly over the years that Ive had it, and is definitly worth the price tag. Star Wars Galaxies is the best videogame ever made!!!!!
Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:24 am
Pepto
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I share in Skywarp's inability to find the time to get into a MMORPG, lif is a bit hectic. But, I am interested.

A few of my friends play EVE...not too much my style..space.
But the sheer size, free-roaming, decision making ability...my jaw still drags along the floor.

Then it gets back to the immaturity and other issues...the most intolerable of which are, in my opinion, Noob PvPers. One issue solved, thankfully, by EVE with the security ratings in systems. I like this level of protection, go looking for trouble when you think you are ready so that you have no-one to blame but yourself.

I have not noticed EVE mentioned anywhere in the forums, prehaps I have looked hard enough...if anyone knows where there might be a bit more talk on EVE in here....please

ta
Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:31 pm
Maorio
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

join a corpration in eve-online and you won't be bothered with anyone bad mouthing you. I haven't atleast this far, since eve is a bit harder to play there will not be as many "immature" players, the game is also huge and you don't have to hang out in the recruitment chat channels or any other public channel.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:54 pm